Agents of Shield: Odd vibe from series

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I just watched episode #16, "The End of the Beginning":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agents_of_S.H.I.E.L.D

While I'll continue to watch the show, I'm getting an odd vibe from the show.

The production quality and acting are fine.

What is odd is the lack of depth to the story, and the lack of emotional resonance I'm having with the characters.

Does anyone else have this reaction? Does having a strong background in the comics (I don't) make a difference? Is the show just tuned for a very young audience?

Thx!

TomB

Ahnehnois

First Post
You're certainly not alone. TV ought to be an opportunity for long-form storytelling, but not much of substance seems to be happening.

Spatula

Explorer
The show just came off a month-long hiatus, and it's spring break, so the ratings dip is not too surprising.

Personally, I enjoy the show. The first half of the season was pretty uneven, but the quality has been really solid now that all the seeds that have been planted are bearing fruit. And I thought this episode was great.

I do have a background in Marvel comics, but I don't think that matters much. The characters are either brand-new for the show/movies, or very minor characters in the comics universe.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Does anyone else have this reaction?

Yes. Something like this is why my wife and I stopped watching after only a couple of episodes.

Does having a strong background in the comics (I don't) make a difference?

Not that I'm aware. While SHIELD has a strong background in the comics, in general, the specific characters and storylines in the show are not strongly backed by the comics.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I watched it until it started its UK hiatus, I don't know whether it came back or is yet to return, but I don't think I'll bother watching it when it does.

For me there was just too much stupid going on. I couldn't believe in the relationships between the people and the way they acted. On top of that, the stories themselves were not especially interesting to me either.

It just compared badly in terms with other offerings that have been out in the last decade or so.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
All I can say is I saw nothing in the ads besides the name itself that made me want to watch the show...so I haven't.

Nellisir

Hero
It just compared badly in terms with other offerings that have been out in the last decade or so.
This.

I have a background in comics. I have a STRONG background in comics. If anything, it hurts the show for me. I was hoping for Heroes; I got Buffy. That's not a compliment; I never liked Buffy and it went off the air eleven years ago. TV has moved past (way the hell past) Buffy. The show feels cheap & low-budget in a way Heroes didn't, even when Heroes sucked.

It feels like a show aimed at 13-year olds.

I think things have gotten a _little_ better in recent episodes, but we'll see.

Remove ads