Airwalkrr's 4e Game IC: Ch 1 Sedition

airwalkrr

Adventurer
GM: The opening post contains two parts. The first part is a cut-away scene that doesn't contain any action your characters are particularly aware of, but it will serve as foreshadowing for future events. The second part is your introduction to the adventure. Your characters are presumed to have met with each other before and grouped together because of your common interest in adventure. Your individual motivations can be developed in the OOC thread.

The dark clouds roil overhead after a brief flash of lightning illuminates the sky. Several seconds later the crackling rumble of thunder fills the air with its deafening sound. A solitary cloaked rider dashes down a lonely road below, the wind whipping his cloak to and fro as he hurries to outrun the coming storm. Ahead he spies a hostel and rushes toward it with all haste.

Soon he arrives, the air now churning all about him with a fine mist of light rain beginning to fall all about. He ties up his horse under an awning, the best shelter for the beast since there is no proper stable nearby, and then he darts past a sign painted with a green leaf and pipe to head inside.

An elder goodwife with auburn-gray hair tied up and skin stretched tight around her bony arms comes up to the traveler, offering to take his cloak, but he politely declines her request and simply asks for a place to bed for the night. A few coins exchange hands and the goodwife leads him down the hallway to an open room with a bed and a lamp stand. It is simple, but it is all that is available. The goodwife leaves the traveler bidding him good night and goes back to her husband to tell him to prepare for an additional guest for the morning.

The thunder roars, shaking the hostel and giving all within a tremble. The storm is one of the worst seen in years. Again the flash of lightning followed almost immediately by a thunder crack overhead. The storm is close now. The wind howls with a fury not known in recent memory by any within and the walls of the hostel creaks and groans against it. Another bright flash upon the windows, more blasting sound and wind beating upon the sole building for miles. Then it all goes quiet. For a brief moment none is heard but the gentle patter of rain upon the roof, but it does not last. A sound like none before is suddenly heard, a piercing cry that rocks the hostel more greatly than the thunder, if indeed it were possible.

The goodwife and her husband follow the sound down to the hall where the guests are quartered. They find first that the room of the cloaked traveler lies open, the traveler nowhere inside. They next find open the door to the room adjacent to the cloaked traveler, which held a young man, traveling with his only daughter to the city to look for work. This room is not empty. The man's daughter huddles frightened in the corner, tears streaming down her face as she points to the bed where her father lies as if tossed upon it sideways. The goodwife screams in terror as she takes in the sight and grips her husband's arms. The young man's eyes and ears have bled all upon his shirt and bedspread. He is lifeless. Next to him is a small box of ashwood banded with iron. It lies open and empty.

The traveler is nowhere to be found, and his horse has disappeared, almost as if it were never there to begin with.

GM: Now we get to our players and your introduction. Please remember anything in your post that is not tagged as OOC occurs in game. Any nearby NPCs will be aware of it.

The County of Macea, a small region that lies on the western coast of Khareb, is a place of fierce individualism, prideful boasting, and also a penchant for stirring up regional trouble. Here in Macea, people are forthright about their opinions on politics, religion, and war, and the discussion often spills over into neighboring countries with disastrous results. Although the county is ostensibly a part of the much larger Republic of Berandal, the people of this country see themselves as quite independent of the central government in Belind (Berandal's capital).

The priesthood of Bahamut has been particularly zealous in its work here, and several temples have sprung up throughout the land with quite a suddenness. Some balk at the worship of a dragon god, while others preach the "superior morality" upon which it is founded. It has caused a great deal of consternation as Count Hasjari, the democratically-elected governor of the region, has recently announced his conversion to this new faith. Some consider it scandal. Others say it is merely a political move. However there are those who embrace it as a welcome change to the old religious ways.

It is in this place you have come to seek adventure, for Macea is a true frontier land. At the central city of Manas, there is a great deal of activity. It is apparent that the local economy is booming with large numbers of prospectors, suppliers for outlying towns, and all other sorts of tradesmen have set up shop here to deal with the great influx of explorers and colonizers who seek to expand into the wide great beyond.

You have found yourself in an establishment known as the Rushing Boar. It is a tavern and inn located on the outskirts of the city that caters to those with highly mobile lifestyles. Though you have been staying here a week, you have rarely seen the same tenant stay the night twice. The tavern area is always filled with a variety of patrons, most of them from different parts of the country. You have chosen this place in hopes of meeting someone with work commensurate to your talents. It is this day you have arranged an appointment with a half-elf by the name of Celen. You expect him to arrive soon to present you with a job offer of an unknown nature.

In the meantime you have the opportunity to chat up the bar wench, Kastra, a lovely girl with bright red hair and a few freckles on her face and upper chest. She is happy to speak with you as she brings you your drinks.

GM: Take a moment to roleplay, perhaps get a feel for your characters. Your characters already know each other, some perhaps more than others, but you can always take the opportunity to get to know each other better. You can also speak with the bar wench to learn about the local area if you are interested.

drothgery

First Post
You've come a long way from the streets of Belind, Lia. She thought for the hundredth time. Elves were supposed to have an ethereal beauty and grace, but there wasn't much sign of that in her. A certain lethal quickness, perhaps, and she was tall and slender, but she had all the scars one would expect from a decade as a common soldier who had seen a great deal of action and was still alive. No one but a man in love would call her pretty, let alone beautiful, and given her somewhat direct manner, she really didn't expect any encounters with men in love -- at least not in love with her.

She still wasn't entirely sure how she'd ended up with her three partners. Perton's term of enlistment had ended when hers did, and he'd mentioned a job his arcanely-talented brother knew about that might need someone of her skills. She wasn't sure how they had recruited Krawlinstar into their little band, but the promised payout had been good. And their employer had lived up to the deal, although their costs had been a little higher than anticipated. Celen had contacted them afterward, and Lia still wondered why he'd been so short on details in his initial contact.

[sblock=ooc/Voda Vosa]
Is it okay for me to add some time in the army -- where he met Lia -- to your character's background?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

wolfattack

First Post
Pelor,give me strengh,Krawlinstar said in a low voice to Kastra,after she told him that she haven't seen any Elf with the description he gave to her.he came her to meet whit a half-elf,but he was expecting that he could get any clue about Mooneyes in the process.even if his motivation lay down after the last months,he thinks that the adventuring life could show the way to the Elf that he seeks.until now,nothing of this happened.well,i hope Celen arrives soon.i hate to wait,he thinks.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
GM: I will begin the skill challenge encounter as soon as I have at least one post from everyone in the group.

Kastra gives Krawlinstar a sympathetic look and says, "Oh you poor dear! Looking for your lost love. That's such a sad story. Well I wish you good luck. We don't actually see a lot of elves in the city, but I did hear a rumor that there was a band of elves camped out just north of town. Don't know if there's much truth to that, but it might be worth looking into. Sorry, but that's all I can tell you right now."

Voda Vosa

First Post
Perton was a man of few words. During his time in the army, he was nicknamed as Petron "Quickhands" Apeldan, or simply Quickhands, for his dexterity manoeuvring his weapons around, and at the same time, his twin brother was nicknamed "Quickmind" for his mental skills.
Quickhands had his arms up, resting his head on both his hands, leaning on the back of the chair, with his boots on the table. He looked around, as impatient. Then he sighed.
Coming to a more normal sitting position, he looked back at Krawlinstar speaking with the wench. "Ya think he's found his lost love?" he comments to none in particular, making a side smile, and pointing at the cleric with his thumb.

Walking Dad

First Post
Erik

A young man with a light tan and almost shoulder length white-blond hair enters the tavern. He wears a brown and green robe with some magenta applications at the sleeves. Aside from his sturdy staff, he seem to not carry anything resembling a weapon. With long striding steps he moves to the table of his brother and other comrades. He puts his backpack next to the chair, sits down (after cleaning it with a simple spell) and starts to talk: "Have I missed anything important? Or only the usual chatter? Anything from this Celen person?"

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Not'in' yet." smiles back Petron. Now that they are both seated next to each other, and Petron is wearing a brown shirt, and not his metal armor, both brothers look almost the same, aside from the obviously marks different life styles have left on them.

wolfattack

First Post
Krawlinstar,now whit a little of hope in his eyes,say:''Thanks for the info Kastra.it may be nothing,but i think it worths a look as you said. as soon as i have finish my business whit the person i'm waiting,i'll resume my search.please,accept this coin as my gratitude for your attention.'' he gives her 1 GP.after that,Krawlinstar take a quick look in the room to see any sign of the half-elf he is waiting.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
GM: Just for you information, none of you have actually met Celen before. You heard of him and his need for adventurers in a roundabout way. After asking around town to see who might desire your talents, a merchant directed you to a smith who directed you to a tavern owner who directed you to a guildmaster who said he knew a half-elf named Celen who could probably use your help. The guildmaster asked where you were staying and said he would set up a meeting.

As you sit at the table waiting ever more impatiently, you finally notice a fellow entering the tavern who might be the one you are hoping to meet. This half-elf enters with a flourish, walking lightly on his feet, almost as if drunk on wine, but maneuvering himself far more expertly than he ought to be able to do if that were true. After a quick look around the room [Perception] he easily picks your party out from the rest and staggers over.

The half-elf wears leather armor decorated with some of the most fanciful pink and purple filigree and carries a longsword at his side. His eyes are a deep green that reminds you of the sea and his rather short hair is a dirty blond color, styled very poorly, so that it almost looks as if he just stepped out of bed.

Rather than pull up a chair to your table, he nimbly hops up ON TOP of it and looks down upon each of you in turn, hands on his hips and a broad smile across his face. He creates quite a scene. In truth, he is a scene altogether himself.

"Well met good fellows! I am Celen, Teller of Tales, Speaker of Stories, and Charmer of Women," at this final self-imposed title he winks at Lia. "I believe we have some business to conduct, do we not? Well, then let's have at it. I need a group with skill in arms, cunning, daring, and not a small amount of wits. If you want me to tell you more, then let's have at it. Prove your worth to me and if I am satisfied I shall tell you my task."
GM: Convincing Celen that you are worthy adventurers is a skill challenge. You must attain 6 successes before having 2 failures in order to succeed at this skill challenge. Try to find uses for skills that your character is best at first. Here are some examples: Athletics could be used to demonstrate skill at arms. Insight may be used to demonstrate cunning. Intimidate can be used to demonstrate daring. Perception might be used to demonstrate wits.

Every player can attempt the same skill at least once, but not every skill can be used by the same player more than once. If a skill can be used more than once by the same player, I will inform you after a success. Feel free to aid each others' attempts when reasonable.

There is no initiative order. During the first round, each player gets one try. Please wait to post your second try until after every player has made one attempt, but feel free to join in with an aid roll if you can think of a way to aid in another player's check.

Please remember these aren't just rolls. Describing how you use the skill may grant a bonus for a good description or a penalty for a poor or inappropriate description. Either way you should present some description of how you feel the skill is appropriate.

OOC: And before anyone asks, yes, I am aware of the errata on skill challenges.

drothgery

First Post
Edit: OOC: The first post of the Skill Challenge was not up when I posted this paragraph...
"I didn't see anything, either." Lia added. She was, as always, dressed in the brown and green leather armor she'd always favored. Her bow -- unstrung it was taller than she was -- was propped up against the wall behind her; she'd left some of her gear up in her room, but not much. Packing light and being ready to move on short notice -- and dealing with long stretches of boredom -- had been part of her life for a long time. Adventuring was even worse than soldiering for long stretches of boredom interspersed with a few minutes of extreme terror -- the stretches of boredom weren't quite as long, but the moments of terror were usually worse.
Edit: OOC: So I added this...

Lia wasn't sure what to make of the man when she spotted him. Even more after his impromptu display. And she was hardly going to impress anyone with her eloquence. On the other hand, for all the fellow's flamboyance, she did not think he was simply a traveling bard.

(Perception +10; lousy roll, but her bonus is high...)

"You're not from around here, are you?" (OOC: unless by his clothes and accent he clearly is from around here) She asked.

Last edited:

Remove ads