And Here It Is - Wil Wheaton's TABLETOP RPG Show Is TITANSGRAVE: THE ASHES OF VALKANA

Wil Wheaton has made the official announcement! As we already know it's Green Ronin's Adventure Game Engine (AGE) which powers Dragon Age and the upcoming Fantasy AGE. The show is called Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana, and starts on June 2nd 2015.

Wil Wheaton has made the official announcement! As we already know it's Green Ronin's Adventure Game Engine (AGE) which powers Dragon Age and the upcoming Fantasy AGE. The show is called Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana, and starts on June 2nd 2015.

Interestingly, Wil mentions that he worked together with Green Ronin to develop the Fantasy AGE system.

The world is written by Wil and his son Ryan, and is inspired by the 1978 Heavy Metal movie (I haven't seen it, sadly) and the 1980 cartoon show Thundarr the Barbarian (which I have also sadly never seen). Goblins with laser rifles, that sort of thing.

Watch the video below. And see here for all our fun, exciting clue-gathering and speculation which led to us figuring out eveything but the name in advance!

[video=youtube;4Er6gDch9Lc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Er6gDch9Lc[/video]

Gundark

Explorer
Huh, I'm interested in the setting. The AGE system was kinda clunky when we tried it out. Hopefully they ironed out the kinks.

Also I don't see this as THAT big of news. A little bit of hyperbole from Green Ronin.

Ultimately if it brings people into the hobby that'll be a good thing.

kingjosh3

Explorer
So...any idea when/where we'll be able to BUY Fantasy AGE?! Neither Green Ronin's website, nor Amazon, nor Paizo, nor Drive Thru RPG have any listings for the product.

Mason4444

First Post
This sounds very interesting and I cant wait to see how the mechanics of Fantasy Age will bring this to life. Fantasy Age and the Cipher core book are 2 releases I'm looking forward to.

However, I gotta agree that the bigger news item here is that Morrus hasn't seen Thundarr or Heavy Metal!

Iosue

Legend
The way he pronounces "Ronin" bothers me. Looking around online he might be right but it is not how I have heard it or said it my entire life up until now.

Heh. He's wrong but in a different way. Most people put accent on the "ro", which they pronounce without enough elongation, and then say "nin" to rhyme with "in". Wil still doesn't elongate the "ro" enough, but he puts accent on the "nin" and then elongates that too much in order to get the proper "i" sound.

Basically, the correct way to pronounce it is 1) without any accent whatsoever, 2) lengthening the "ro" another half-beat, 3) slightly rise in pitch in the middle of the "ro" and maintain that pitch until the end of the word, and 4) pronounce "nin" like "ink" without a k. Google Translate has a good audio example (put "ronin" into a E to J search).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Heh. He's wrong but in a different way. Most people put accent on the "ro", which they pronounce without enough elongation, and then say "nin" to rhyme with "in". Wil still doesn't elongate the "ro" enough, but he puts accent on the "nin" and then elongates that too much in order to get the proper "i" sound.

Basically, the correct way to pronounce it is 1) without any accent whatsoever, 2) lengthening the "ro" another half-beat, 3) slightly rise in pitch in the middle of the "ro" and maintain that pitch until the end of the word, and 4) pronounce "nin" like "ink" without a k. Google Translate has a good audio example (put "ronin" into a E to J search).

It is, however, how the company chooses to pronounce it. It's not the actual pronunciation of the Japanese word "ronin", it's Green Ronin's pronunciation of their company name, "Green Ronin". So he's correct! And they're correct, because they can decide how their company name is pronounced, even if it is a word ordinarily pronounced differently.

If Apple had pronounced their name "App-leh" then that would be the correct pronunciation of the company name. But not of the fruit!

Plus expecting accurate mimicking of another country's accent, in addition to the actual words, is a little too much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads