• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any interest? [closed to recruiting]

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Update: (28 Jan 2008) The two spots are currently filled by Creamsteak and Industrygothica. Nac Mac Feegle is the first alternate. All others, thanks for your interest and your ideas. Please feel free to continue watching the thread in case a spot opens up.

I am thinking of jumping back into the PbP DM gaming thing. I have DM'ed PbP 4 or 5 times previously, and all of the games have come to a successful conclusion except one that was totally derailed by the massive server crash many months ago.

Here's what I have in mind. I'm thinking of a relatively free-form game with no set adventure, but placed in and around a small town. There would be opportunities for adventuring in town, in the surrounding wilderness, in ruins and dungeons, etc., depending on the characters' decisions and the players' desires. This would require quite a bit of making it up as I go, but I think I have the resources for that. The 'feel' of the game would be similar to 1980s Basic D&D, and I would like to stick with the standard fantasy races and classes.

I would need two 5th level characters using the gestalt rules from Unearthed Arcana (these rules can also be found at d20srd.org if you do not own Unearthed Arcana). I would prefer a party that has all the major roles covered.

I would need players to commit to posting within 24 hours of a DM update most of the time, and to be willing to wait a couple of days between DM updates (my goal would be 3-4 updates a week). Also, the intimate nature of the game--only having 2 PCs--would require a little more roleplaying than a typical online game. 'Powergamers' and 'min/maxers' might not prefer this game.

Any interest in this?

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I have never played a Gestalt game, but have unearthed arcana. I wouldn't mind playing at all. I would actually like to wait to see who else is interested before I post what I would like to play (simply so I can see what others want, to compliment them). Unless you would rather me decide right now of course.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
OnlytheStrong said:
I have never played a Gestalt game, but have unearthed arcana. I wouldn't mind playing at all. I would actually like to wait to see who else is interested before I post what I would like to play (simply so I can see what others want, to compliment them). Unless you would rather me decide right now of course.
You can wait. This won't be first come, first serve.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I just read the Gestalt rules and think I would like to play a human Ranger/Druid. I figured I would go ahead and pitch a character, and hope that it went along with someone else's selections.

I went with this for a couple of reasons: alittle bit of healing ability, ranged attacks, and decent melee skills if needed. I will have his personality and everything up probably late tomorrow, I have to spend the day helping my sister move. Yay for me :)

Creamsteak

Explorer
Basic 1E is one of my favorite versions of the game. I'll throw a character into the ring here.

Some pretty standard questions: Ability scores? Starting wealth? Hit points?

My first thought is druid/fighter played like a ranger. In a sorta backwards way it's 3 classes.

[sblock=Barebones]This doesn't include the druid class features yet, beyond spellcasting, but otherwise it's got all the basics rounded out. This character would take both manyshot and improved two-weapon fighting at 6th.

Edgar Almondar
Male Human - Druid/Fighter 5
CN Medium Humanoid (human)
Senses: Listen +10, Spot +10
Init: +3 (Dex)
Languages: Common, Druidic

AC: 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+3 Dex, +4 armor)
Hit Points: 35 HD: 6d10
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +6

Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee: Shortswords +5/+5 (1d6+2/1d6+1)
Ranged: Longbow +8 (1d8+2)
Base Atk: +5 Grapple: +7
Atk Options: Rapid Shot, Two-Weapon Fighting
Combat Feats: Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot
Combat Gear: [normal]; [magical]

Druid Spells Prepared (CL 5)
3rd (DC 15)-[spells] 1
2nd (DC 14)—[spells] 3
1st (DC 13)—[spells] 4
0th (DC 12)—[spells] 5

Str 14, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10
Feats: Endurance, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Track, Two-Weapon Fighting
Skills: Hide +11 [8 ranks], Listen +10 [8 ranks], Move Silently +11 [8 ranks], Search +8 [8 ranks], Spot +10 [8 ranks]
Possessions: [normal]; [magical][/sblock]

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Sounds intriguing. I'll work something up as well.

Any other build parameters. Standard Gold, stats etc.

The old basic D&D tropes are coming back in a flood, and now I have to sit and pick one. This is exciting.

LesserSky

First Post
I am interested as well. I think going with Bard on one side would be fun, maybe paired with Druid on the other to give it that old thyme feel.

WarShrike

First Post
I'd like to apply as well. I myself run free-form at the table, and my players love it. I'd play either a Monk/Rogue or a Paladin/Cleric, whichever you prefer.

Remove ads