• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any interest in Gamma World?

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I like my armidillo all except the trunk but I guess I'll just have to deal.

I know he'd make a good enforcer, but we've got plenty, probably thinking scout.

I'll finish him tonight hopefully tomorrow at the latest.

jkason

First Post
Since there seem to be a lot of Enforcer-statted folk, I think Indio would probably work well as a Scout, too. He has the second-highest Senses score of the group (and taking the class bumps him up a bit more). He's not especially stealthy, but neither is he all that strong, so he's likely to be a little deficient at either class, but has some stats that could be boosted by both classes, too. And if a walking plant isn't suited for wilderness survival, he's got a problem. ;)

In any case, he's statted out for Enforcer now, but it shouldn't take much to fiddle him into a Scout.

[sblock=Indio / Xanderi]

Physical Strength: 9 (+0)
Dexterity: 9 (+0)
Constitution: 15 (+2)
Mental Strength: 8 (+0)
Intelligence: 8 (+0) / 14 (+1)
Charisma: 10 (+0)

Senses: 11

HP: 61 (Roll Link
Melee attack: +1
Ranged attack: +1
AC: 18 (16 w/o shield)
Mutation attack: Mutation score?
Mental Defense: 0
Health: 12
Use Artifacts: 0/1
Perception: 11/12
Stealth: 0
Remain Unseen: 0/1
Speed: 9
Robot Recognition:

Attacks: +1 to attack (Enforcer)
Spines: 1d6+5
Sonic Blast (1/4 rounds) 3d6+1
Battleaxe 1d8
Shortbow 1d6

Special:

3 hours direct (6 indirect) sunlight +1 hour root / day for food/water (only needs 1/2 water of others).

Sonar (100 meters)

Immune to Sonic Blasts

Spines: 1d6+5 to attackers, 2d6+5 wrestle

Move: 9

Skills:

Combat Leadership 4
Makeshift Weapon / Armor 4
Size-Up Opponent 4

Gear

Splint Mail
Hvy wood shld
Battleaxe
Backpack
Hooded Lantern
Flint and steel
Belt Pouch
Rope, hempen
Shortbow
Arrows (20)

40 gold
80.5 pounds[/sblock]

Lukeworm

First Post
Greyhound
[sblock=Charcter Info]
Altered Human male Examiner
Physical Strength: 16 [+2]
Dexterity: 13 [+1]/15 when all 3 arms used [+2]
Constitution: 9 [+0]
Mental Strength: 10 [+0]
Intelligence: 11[+0] (includes +2 from dual brain)
Charisma: 8 [+0]
Senses: 7 [-1]

Hit Points: 37 1d6=5, 1d6=3, 1d6=4, 1d6=4, 1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=2, 1d6=6, 1d6=6
Melee attack: +2 [Ph. Str +2]
Warhammer +2 vs. AC, 1d8 +2 damage.
Handaxe +2 vs. AC, 1d6 +2 damage.
Ranged attack: +1/+2 [Dex +1/+2]
Crossbow +1 vs. AC 1d8+1 damage.
AC: 18 [Chainmail +5, Shield +2, ,Dex +1/+2]
Mutation attack: Mutation score modifier
Mental Blast (13): +1 attack vs. Mental Defense,3d6+1 damage.
This power builds up 1d6 per round not used.
Mental Defense: 0 [M. Str +0]
Health: 10 [Con +0]

Use Artifacts: +1 [Int +0, Examiner+1]
Perception: 7 [Senses score 7, Int +0]
Stealth: +1/+2 [Dex +1/+2]
Remain Unseen: +0 [Int +0]
Speed: 11 [base 10, Dex +1]
Robot Recognition: I'll tell you this [Examiner+1]

Skills

Avoid Artifact Disaster: 3
Jury-Rig (build stuff from scraps): 5
Read Schematics: 3
Repair Artifact: 5

Physical Mutations

Night Vision: Can see in low-light as well as daylight.
Body Control (15): Can heighten one physical attribute or one sense once per day for 7 rounds.
Multiple Limbs: You have one additional arm. You can use an extra arm for activities, and get +2 Dexterity for actions in which all three arms are used.
Dual Brain: Add 2 to Intelligence. Also, receive an additional 1d3 Mental Mutations in the second brain. All mental attacks against you affect only one of your two brains at a time. Your brains work together, not as separate consciousnesses.

Mental Mutations

Telekinesis (11): Can pick up and move items around with a Physical Strength of 11 at a distance of up to 25m away.
Teleport Object (9): Can teleport an object of up to 9kg anywhere within 50m.
Mental Mutations of secondary brain:
Beguiling (9): Receive a +5 bonus on attempts to charm a sentient.
Mental Blast (13): +1 attack vs. Mental Defense, 3d6+1 damage. This power builds up 1d6 per round not used.
Teleportation (13): Teleport anywhere within 60m or to a familiar place up to 6km away. The power can be used once every 4 hours

Equipment

1 random high tech item (to be determined)

27 gp

Clothing, backpack, bedroll 12 gp 15 lb
Tools 30 gp 5 lb
Flint & Still, small Mirror, Writing Materials 20 gp 2 lb
Chainmail +5 Ac 150 gp 40 lb
Large wooden shield +2 AC 7 gp 10 lb
Warhammer 1d8 12 gp 8 lb
Handaxe 1d6 6 gp 5 lb
Crossbow, light 1d8 35 gp 8 lb
Bolts (20) 1 gp 1 lb

94 lb
[/sblock]
[sblock=Background]
Greyhound was named for the gigantic dogs that in the days before the war traveled from town to town. The remains of a carriage meant to be towed by such a beast served as a home for his family. Greyhound never understood how the creature was meant to be hitched to the carriage, but as everyone knew that not much of those days could be understood anymore.

From early age Greyhound was fascinated by machines, it is likely that his name and the house he grow in contributed to this. He took apart, examined and reassembled any thing he can get his hands on, and don’t forget he had three of those. The people of the village soon began to bring any thing they couldn’t repair for him to fix, which he preferred over working in the fields. Greyhound found that he had various abilities that helped in his work- such as teleporting spare parts from the warehouse to him, moving tools with his mind were none of his arms could easily get or convincing people to pay a little more for his efforts.

Over the years Greyhound came to realize that many of the artifacts of the past are not mechanical, some operated by strange energy wile others seemed more like leaving creatures, the rarest of all could even think and talk. The more he learned about the lost technology the more he was fascinated by it. He would read any thing about the past and would question wanderers for hours about any artifacts they have encountered.
It is this fascination with ancient technology that eventually lead Greyhound to leave his comfortable position in the village and see what more he can learn in the outside world.

Appearance
Greyhound is in his early twenties. He is more then 6 feet tall with a lanky build and two right arms, one above the other. His hair is light brown and his eyes are metallic gray. He usually wears a stained and patched overall that has many pockets and pouches. Most of those are full with small tools and gadgets.

[/sblock]

I’m pretty much ready to go.

InVinoVeritas you need to assign me one random high tech artifact (examiner class bonus).

Also some questions:
  • Fighting with two weapons how is this handled?
  • Do mental attacks have ranged?
  • The mental blast Attack “This power builds up 1d6 per round not used” does this mean the power can be used only once every other round and will it do 1d6+1 damage then?

Last edited:

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Greyhound
[sblock=Charcter Info]
Altered Human male Examiner
Physical Strength: 16 [+2]
Dexterity: 13 [+1]/15 when all 3 arms used [+2]
Constitution: 9 [+0]
Mental Strength: 10 [+0]
Intelligence: 11[+0] (includes +2 from dual brain)
Charisma: 8 [+0]
Senses: 7 [-1]

Hit Points: 37 1d6=5, 1d6=3, 1d6=4, 1d6=4, 1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=2, 1d6=6, 1d6=6
Melee attack: +2 [Ph. Str +2]
Warhammer +2 vs. AC, 1d8 +2 damage.
Handaxe +2 vs. AC, 1d6 +2 damage.
Ranged attack: +1/+2 [Dex +1/+2]
Crossbow +1 vs. AC 1d8+1 damage.
AC: 18 [Chainmail +5, Shield +2, ,Dex +1/+2]
Mutation attack: Mutation score modifier
Mental Blast (13): +1 attack vs. Mental Defense,3d6+1 damage.
This power builds up 1d6 per round not used.
Mental Defense: 0 [M. Str +0]
Health: 10 [Con +0]

Use Artifacts: +1 [Int +0, Examiner+1]
Perception: 7 [Senses score 7, Int +0]
Stealth: +1/+2 [Dex +1/+2]
Remain Unseen: +0 [Int +0]
Speed: 11 [base 10, Dex +1]
Robot Recognition: I'll tell you this [Examiner+1]

Skills

Avoid Artifact Disaster: 3
Jury-Rig (build stuff from scraps): 5
Read Schematics: 3
Repair Artifact: 5

Physical Mutations

Body Control (15): Can heighten one physical attribute or one sense once per day for 7 rounds.
Multiple Limbs: You have one additional arm. You can use an extra arm for activities, and get +2 Dexterity for actions in which all three arms are used.
Dual Brain: Add 2 to Intelligence. Also, receive an additional 1d3 Mental Mutations in the second brain. All mental attacks against you affect only one of your two brains at a time. Your brains work together, not as separate consciousnesses.

Mental Mutations

Telekinesis (11): Can pick up and move items around with a Physical Strength of 11 at a distance of up to 25m away.
Teleport Object (9): Can teleport an object of up to 9kg anywhere within 50m.
Mental Mutations of secondary brain:
Beguiling (9): Receive a +5 bonus on attempts to charm a sentient.
Mental Blast (13): +1 attack vs. Mental Defense, 3d6+1 damage. This power builds up 1d6 per round not used.
Teleportation (13): Teleport anywhere within 60m or to a familiar place up to 6km away. The power can be used once every 4 hours

Equipment

1 random high tech item (to be determined)

27 gp

Clothing, backpack, bedroll 12 gp 15 lb
Tools 30 gp 5 lb
Flint & Still, small Mirror, Writing Materials 20 gp 2 lb
Chainmail +5 Ac 150 gp 40 lb
Large wooden shield +2 AC 7 gp 10 lb
Warhammer 1d8 12 gp 8 lb
Handaxe 1d6 6 gp 5 lb
Crossbow, light 1d8 35 gp 8 lb
Bolts (20) 1 gp 1 lb

94 lb
[/sblock]
[sblock=Background]
Greyhound was named for the gigantic dogs that in the days before the war traveled from town to town. The remains of a carriage meant to be towed by such a beast served as a home for his family. Greyhound never understood how the creature was meant to be hitched to the carriage, but as everyone knew that not much of those days could be understood anymore.

From early age Greyhound was fascinated by machines, it is likely that his name and the house he grow in contributed to this. He took apart, examined and reassembled any thing he can get his hands on, and don’t forget he had three of those. The people of the village soon began to bring any thing they couldn’t repair for him to fix, which he preferred over working in the fields. Greyhound found that he had various abilities that helped in his work- such as teleporting spare parts from the warehouse to him, moving tools with his mind were none of his arms could easily get or convincing people to pay a little more for his efforts.

Over the years Greyhound came to realize that many of the artifacts of the past are not mechanical, some operated by strange energy wile others seemed more like leaving creatures, the rarest of all could even think and talk. The more he learned about the lost technology the more he was fascinated by it. He would read any thing about the past and would question wanderers for hours about any artifacts they have encountered.
It is this fascination with ancient technology that eventually lead Greyhound to leave his comfortable position in the village and see what more he can learn in the outside world.

Appearance
Greyhound is in his early twenties. He is more then 6 feet tall with a lanky build and two right arms, one above the other. His hair is light brown and his eyes are metallic gray. He usually wears a stained and patched overall that has many pockets and pouches. Most of those are full with small tools and gadgets.

[/sblock]

I’m pretty much ready to go.

InVinoVeritas you need to assign me one random high tech artifact (examiner class bonus).

Also some questions:
  • Fighting with two weapons how is this handled?
  • Do mental attacks have ranged?
  • The mental blast Attack “This power builds up 1d6 per round not used” does this mean the power can be used only once every other round and will it do 1d6+1 damage then?

With multiple arms, you can make two attacks without penalty. However, they need to be two melee attacks or two ranged attacks. You can't fire a gun and swing a sword at the same time.

Note that DarwinofMind's armadillo, on the other hand, can, because of Duality. His trunk also functions much like a third arm as well. So, he could fire a gun and swing a sword, or wield a polearm and work a combination lock, or whatever, at the same time.

Mental attacks have a range of 15m + mutation score modifier (like attribute modifiers). You are correct about the mental blast buildup.

Mark Chance: Sleestak's Radiating Eyes have the same 1d6 per round buildup period too.

1d20=18
1d20=5
1d6=1
1d6=1

Greyhound starts with a napalm grenade. It does 3d6 damage and anyone in the blast radius takes 1d6 fire damage until extinguished.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Okay, I've got the Rogue's Gallery thread up here. Feel free to get your characters up there.

Also, none of you will actually start with GP; in Gamma World, money is kept in plastic cards called Domars. Apparently the Ancients did a lot of business using little plastic cards, and so today, these little plastic cards are traded back and forth as money.

Blue cards are worth 1 Domar.
Silver cards are worth 10 Domars.
Gold cards are worth 100 Domars.

Go ahead and turn your GP into Domars on a 1:1 basis. Also, if you have a bunch of money left over and want something special, let me know how much you're willing to spend, and I'll give you something not on the D&D tables. Give me an idea of what sort of thing you're looking for, or just say "some artifact" and I'll give you something along those lines.

I'll get the IC thread up in a day or two.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Well, I took both personalities' names from this cactus, and I like that it has those large, nasty-looking spines as opposed to lots of tiny ones; seems to fit the stats.

I figure the crystalline nature of his mutated spines might give them a vaguely irridescent quality in the right light. I played around, too, with the idea that his "face" is more a color-shifted segment of spines mimicking a face rather than a proper set of eyes / nose / etc.

jason

That's awesome, that works.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Robot Recognition Scores:

Kuma: 18
Sleestak: 14
Greyhound: 17
(DarwinofMind): 14
Indio/Xanderi: N/A

In the case of Indio/Xanderi, robots will treat them as a plant and (usually) ignore them. Greyhound's third arm throws off some robots' expectations, but his examiner skill helps that a bit.

Lukeworm

First Post
Mental Defense is it 10 + Mental Strength mod or is it different then the other 2 defenses (AC and Health)?

Regarding special equipment I see Greyhound starting with some gizmo he jury-riged. He will barter his napalm grenade or reuse it for parts so that item worth can be added. I simply don’t like one shot items, I usually save them for an emergency and end up never using them at all.

This can be one of three alternatives:
1. A ranged weapon (preferably two but that probably stretches money too far). It could be firearm/energy weapon if ammunition is available, if not then some sort of mechanical dart thrower (like a repeating crossbow). Money 60 domar + grenade.

2. Armor of some sort should grant at least +4 AC and have some special quality. Money 170 domar + grenade.

3. If the above two alternatives are not possible then some other artifact. Money 20 domar + grenade.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
[sblock="Stats"]
Pilumar

Physical Strength: 7
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 13
Mental Strength: 9
Intelligence: 8
Charisma: 14

Senses 12

HitPoints (13d6=41)
Melee Attack: -1
Ranged Attack: +1
AC 17 (before armor)
Mental Defense: 10
Health: 11
Use Artifacts: 0
Perception: 13
Stealth: +2
Remain Unseen: +0
Speed: ?
Robot Recognition: 14

Inborn Traits
------------------
Claw Claw Bite Attacks 1d3/1d3/1d2
Total Carapace: Base AC 16 already factored in.

Physical Mutations
------------------
Energy Reflection (8): The first 10 points of damage from any electric attack bounce off you and goes off in a random direction.
New Body Parts: You gain a trunk like an elephant. It can be used as an extra arm.
Regeneration (11): You heal lost hit points at a rate of 5/day, and can regrow lost body parts.
Attraction Odor: You have a strong musk that makes you easy to track, and are twice as likely to gain the interest of predators.
Transfusion (16): You can heal other characters of 12 hp in one round, but take 1d4 hp damage in the process.

Mental Mutations
----------------
Duality: Gets two actions per round. They can be completely different actions.

Skills
------
Hunting 4
Detech Ambush/Trap 4
Navigate 4
Tracking 4
Wilderness Survival 4

Equipment
---------
Armor:
Leather armor [Skin of 2 headed cow] (10gp)

Weapon:
Shortspear [sharp torn chrome metal lashed to fiberglass rake handle.] (1gp)
Long Sword [Crafted from sharpened aircraft aluminium] (15gp)

Gear:
Backpack (2gp)
gear I'll select later tonight. [/sblock]

Pilumar, was born to non-mutant parents, but for some reason him and his littermates were born different. Like all armidillos Pilumar was born with 4 littermates, identical, they quickly found they were different from their mother. But she loved them and raised them just the same. They could use their front paws to carry things back to the den, and other tricks mother could never do, or never would even think of.

Soon though the rapidly growing brothers outgrew their mother's den. They spread outward, each their own direction to dig their own dens. Pilumar however found something strange. He found strange animals who carried things in their front paws as him and his brothers did. These strange animals built dens from things above ground.

Pilumar watched them for a few seasons, before learning to mimic their sounds, how they comminicated with each other. He learned to understand, learned the sounds had meaning. Finally, Pilumar approached the creatures. In time he joined their little "villiagge" He wonders at times what became of his brothers, but he hasn't seen them since.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Mental Defense is it 10 + Mental Strength mod or is it different then the other 2 defenses (AC and Health)?

Regarding special equipment I see Greyhound starting with some gizmo he jury-riged. He will barter his napalm grenade or reuse it for parts so that item worth can be added. I simply don’t like one shot items, I usually save them for an emergency and end up never using them at all.

This can be one of three alternatives:
1. A ranged weapon (preferably two but that probably stretches money too far). It could be firearm/energy weapon if ammunition is available, if not then some sort of mechanical dart thrower (like a repeating crossbow). Money 60 domar + grenade.

2. Armor of some sort should grant at least +4 AC and have some special quality. Money 170 domar + grenade.

3. If the above two alternatives are not possible then some other artifact. Money 20 domar + grenade.

Grr, it's 10+MS Mod. I've corrected the post above. It is like a mental AC.

I'd rather you barter the grenade in game, but I can start the game with you bartering for your new equipment in the opening scene.

Remove ads