D&D 5E Any of these Feat changes look too good?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Also, IMO the best fix to Durable is to combine it with Tough and call it a day.

Durable is one of those feats so bad nobody even bother to look at it. And i can guarantee that combining it won't change people's opinion on Tough.
No, Tough in our view is more than strong enough. We debated about making tough a CON +1 and +1 HP/level.

Also, we use exhaustion a lot in our game, so getting to recover two levels of exhaustion is actually a big deal for our table. I probably should have outlined that before...

Finally, a feat that did combine Durable and Tough would become a very strong feat, especially for warriors. We utilize short rests enough that getting half or more of your HP back on each die is significant, the CON +1 is nearly universally useful (well, 50/50 depending on if your score is even or odd LOL), and a permanent raise in your max HP is big as well.

But, I know it varies from table to table. Others might look at some of the feats and be like, "What? People take that feat all the time! It don't need a buff!" 🤷‍♂️

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I think number 2 would be change for change sake. Again, the feat is solid....if your particular party doesn't want it at the moment, no problem....but at some point a character will come that will love this feat as written. It really needs no adjustment.
Right now we have a 19th level PC (Paladin/Cleric) who has it, with CHA 18, so yeah he is giving pretty much the whole party 23 temp HP per short or long rest. But he just took it, so it seems strong. If he had taken it at lower levels, for our party it really isn't a big deal. Temp HP go away very quickly IMO and is saves some healing sources but healing is so cheap in 5E I don't consider it huge.

So, the CHA +1 bump was our answer for now. I hope our group will meet tomorrow for a session 0 for an upcoming new game. If we meet, we'll review everything then.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Perhaps the Mounted Combat feat could include a hit-point buff for your mount?
It could but it already has two defensive features, so we would like to balance it out with another offensive one. Many opponents are not smaller than the mount, so we want something for when the advantage against medium and smaller creatures doesn't come into play. Other than dragons, which we've never had as a mount, mounts IME are usually large or medium for small PCs.

dmhelp

Explorer
To simplify my feat changes I’ve just let people take any ability with their half feats (except elven accuracy and resilient are still limited).

Then I can just make a long list of feats that are now half feats (charger, dungeon delver, etc).

I didn’t bump defensive duelist, inspiring leader, mounted combatant, or heavy armor master.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
To simplify my feat changes I’ve just let people take any ability with their half feats (except elven accuracy and resilient are still limited).

Then I can just make a long list of feats that are now half feats (charger, dungeon delver, etc).

I didn’t bump defensive duelist, inspiring leader, mounted combatant, or inspiring leader.
We thought about just making a blanket rule that any feat with a +1 ASI can be used for any ability score, for simplicity's sake, but it isn't that hard to keep it specific so we are.

Did you mean to list something else? You have Inspiring Leader twice.

We've never had anyone take Defensive Duelist yet, and only one PC took Mounted Combatant (early on) and just took Inspiring Leader. The just all seem either very niche (Mounted Combatant) or not that great overall.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Well, the title says it all. Do you think any of these adjustments to the feats in the PHB make them too good or powerful?

Heavy Armor Master - I like this, but part of the feat not being taken that it doesn't scale well. I'd either change the about blocked to the proficiency bonus, or have magic armor plus (if any) add to the reduction. Also, with what you have written would you allow magic armor or a magic shield to enable blocking magical B/P/S damage?

Inspiring Leader - this feat is nice already. I see people shy away from it not because of power level, but because other feats boost their character a good deal, and this instead boosts the whole party a bit. At low levels where the choice is an ASI or a feat, taking a feat that doesn't boost your character the same as other feats is often not seen as desirable vs. an ASI. It is of good power level though.

Mounted Combat - I'd give a static damage bonus. Double is not a 5e paradyme, could be abused, and favors certain weapon types over others.

Sharp Shooter - I see this is a nerf instead of a boost. Had a bit of mental whiplash. Originally was writing it didn't need a boost, then noticed it wasn't.

Weapon Master - because someone who already has access to all martial weapons already gets less from this so is less likely to have it. So fighters and the like are less likely to be weapon masters. It may be interesting to give them something else as well, only for those already with full martial proficiency.

dmhelp

Explorer
Here are my current rules for feats (the goal is the least number of lines of rules and simplest possible):
  • Half feats (except Elven Accuracy and Resilient) don't have restrictions on which abilities you add +1 to (e.g. you can take Moderately Armored with +1 charisma)
  • Half feats (except Elven Accuracy and Resilient) may be picked two for one without an ability increase (e.g. you may take Moderately Armored with Weapon Master as one feat but you don't increase any of your abilities)
  • Now included as half feats: Charger, Dungeon Delver, Grappler, Linguist, Martial Adept, Medium Armor Master, Savage Attacker, Skilled
  • Dual Wielder - while wielding a one handed melee weapon in each hand may power attack (-5 hit/+10 damage) with melee weapon attacks made during an attack action
  • Elemental Adept - choose 2 of the 3 benefits: damage boost, ignore resistance, and downgrade immunity to resistance (downgrade immunity and ignore resistance cannot be used on the same target); can also choose poison damage type (goes along with Green Dragon Draconic Ancestry subclass change)
  • Linguist - learn 6 languages instead of 3
  • Weapon Master - gives proficiency with all simple and martial weapons

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
A few others have commented on that as well and I have noted it.

I think we will do one of two things:

1. Keep it RAW and remove the CHA +1
2. Keep the CHA +1, but allow the temp HP only after a long rest, not a short rest.

I think the second option is better over all, but we'll see what the group thinks. Do you think the second option would still be excessive?
Possible suggestion.

1) +1 Cha.
2) A target can only benefit from this once until they take a long rest.

Nerfs it, but lets you decide to save it for high leverage situations if needed. (Like taking a short rest while prepping an ambush.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases