D&D 5E Ashardalon Stride + Haste

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Well, let's look at the Slow spell. Should a Slowed Barbarian with Fast Movement have a speed of 20 (40/2) or 25 (30/2 +10)?

Lyxen

Great Old One
Well, let's look at the Slow spell. Should a Slowed Barbarian with Fast Movement have a speed of 20 (40/2) or 25 (30/2 +10)?

Depends on your ruling, nothing in the rules tells you one way or the other. Once more, the barbarian's fast movement is circumstantial.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I guess, but that seems a little counterintuitive to me. "Ok, your speed is halved, but remember, despite nothing telling you to do this, halve your base speed first, then apply other modifiers".

Lyxen

Great Old One
I guess, but that seems a little counterintuitive to me. "Ok, your speed is halved, but remember, despite nothing telling you to do this, halve your base speed first, then apply other modifiers".

Again, a DM might decide to apply modifiers in the order that he wants. He might decide to apply the more or less permanent class ones first because they are somewhat inherent, but there is no reason to consider that one spell affects another.

ECMO3

Hero
Show me the rule.

The dash action does not multiply you speed, it ADDS to it: "you gain extra movement for the current turn. The increase equals your speed".

Moreover, it specifically mentions: "after applying any modifiers", which Haste does not.

Why should it ?

It can be said exactly the same way with the other powers: "To increase your speed, you need to determine what your speed IS. If your speed is multiplied by an effect, that is your speed."
i looked it up on sa. cant link it now but it says haste doubles "current speed" anything that changes speed is also doubled. will link latre

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I think its pretty straight forward. Haste states the target's speed is doubled. In the example provided the target's speed is 65, so that is what is doubled. It does not say it gives you additional movement or doubles base speed or adds speed, it says it doubles the target's [current] speed.

To turn this around - if a normal target with a base 30 foot move was suffering from 5 levels of exhaustion his speed is 0, casting Haste does not make it 30, it is still 0. Casting haste on the same person with 2 levels of exhasution (speed 15), Haste would make that 30, not 45.

I will add that you are talking about using two magic spells to move 130 ft in 6 seconds. That is not actually very fast in the sceme of things. It is nowhere near what a word-class sprinter will do, most NFL athletes can move substantially faster than that, typically doing 120ft in under 5 seconds.
Those NFL players are doing so with a starting block, expensive shoes, and light clothing.

This double spell exploit is increasing their walking speed with a full load.

ECMO3

Hero
Those NFL players are doing so with a starting block, expensive shoes, and light clothing.
In the combines, which is where I got this from, they do not use a starting block, they are wearing football shoes, not running shoes and they are running on grass or astroturf, not a track.

Also we are talking about NFL players, who are all athletes in their 20s, but not the fastest athletes in the world, many are obese, yet virtually all of them can go 130 feet in 6 seconds. The skill positions like wide receiver and running back are significantly faster than this and will go 180+ feet in 6 seconds, from a dead stop. This is approaching the speed of such a bladesinger using dash action. Olympic runners are substantially faster than this (with starting blocks on a track of course) ..... and RL athletes all do it without any magic :p

In terms of physics-breaking mechanics in D&D, a bladesinger with a 130 foot move does not even scratch the surface.

Last edited:

Remove ads