D&D 5E Assassins, Alignment, and Archetypes

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, some of y’all may already know this, but the Assassin is one of my very favorite RPG character concepts, and I am very unsatisfied with its representation in 5e.

Now, I didn’t expect an Assassin class in the PHB, but when I read the Assassin Rogue archetype...<whistle> nope! That’s certainly a type of Assassin, sure. I mean, it doesn’t follow through on having poison proficiency, it’s too hyper focused on “false identity infiltration”, and its combat mechanics only work when it has surprise, which is just...hard to ensure with any regularity, but...cool. So, I’ve spent the last few years thinking about assassins in 5e, how they could be a full class, and also about the sometimes oddly narrow view of assassins that some folks have.

Alignment. The 3.5 Assassin had to be evil. 🙄

sure, Jan. The fighter can butcher hundreds with a neutral alignment, and collect all the gold they want for it, but I can’t play an old school Crusades era styled Assassin without being evil?

Then we get to Archetypes. Folks question why “any class can’t be an assassin”(any class can be a thief, too, folks. 🤷‍♂️), or insist that there aren’t enough viable archetypes tomake a full class worth it. Below is a short list of assassin archetypes, and what they’d do. First, though, what would the base class do?

Well, it would obviously be a DPR class, with situational nova potential, and decent skills (between the ranger and non-lore bard). They’d be able to study an enemy and learn its weaknesses and strengths, get an extra attack when hidden (or when subclass stuff happens), and have a trait that drops a creature to 0hp when the Assassin reduces their HP below a threshold. They’d get proficiency on initiative checks, and possibly be able to surprise even when the rest of the party doesn’t, somehow? The rest of the base class would be dedicated to social exploration stuff, and tricks to make the class impossible to escape, and some kind of defense stuff to avoid heavy armor. Social stealth mechanic
Maybe something like the 4e assassin’s shroud. Very cool concept, just somewhat lacking implementation.

Archetypes.

Executioner. Inspiration; Assassin’s Creed, 4e Executione class. Fast, parkour, climb speed, reaction attacks when an enemy misses, some poisons. Some of this in the base class but boosted here.

Covenant Agent. Inspiration; Religous Assassins, Avengers (the class), light divine magic, maybe a pseudo-smite, or access to a couple smite spells, maybe just ability to make damage radiant. Mix a little Paladin in. Bonus prof: religion. Maybe an Unarmored defense mechanic, make it more like the 4e assassin/avenger.

Wraith. Inspiration; mystic assassins, 4e assassin class, dishonored, nightcrawler. If Shrouds aren’t in base class, they go here. If they are, they get weird here. Teleportation at Will from an early level. 3 preferably. Even if it’s short range and requires line of sight.

Spy/Social Infiltrator. Optional, since this is the one assassin that the assassin rogue does really well.

Class: I’d actually go either ranger or monk for the chassis/comparison point. Maybe with level 1 archetypes, since the flavor is much stronger in the archetype.

I don't think you've answered the question of how these relate to the rogue class/why not give these archetypes to the rogue. Before getting to archetypes and mechanics, what conceptually differentiates a base assassin from a base rogue? I have an answer, and an assassin class, of my own, but what's yours?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ogami Itto, of Lone Wolf with Cub fame, showed us how a lawful neutral Samurai could be a great ‘heavy’ assasin. The you have the various builds used in Assasins Creed. The point though is that Assasin could be any class - so what makes your Assasin different and not just a Rogue with some poison expertise?

and is Wraith your magic Ninja class?

doctorbadwolf

I don't think you've answered the question of how these relate to the rogue class/why not give these archetypes to the rogue. Before getting to archetypes and mechanics, what conceptually differentiates a base assassin from a base rogue? I have an answer, and an assassin class, of my own, but what's yours?
What if this isn’t answered in the OP? I mean obviously not in detail, but...I outlined the basic design goals and mechanical focuses and a few defining mechanics in the OP.

As for the rogue, eh? I’m not worried about that.
Ogami Itto, of Lone Wolf with Cub fame, showed us how a lawful neutral Samurai could be a great ‘heavy’ assasin. The you have the various builds used in Assasins Creed. The point though is that Assasin could be any class - so what makes your Assasin different and not just a Rogue with some poison expertise?

and is Wraith your magic Ninja class?
What poison expertise? And like I said in the OP, any class can be a thief, too. That is utterly irrelevant to whether there should be a thief as it’s own thing.

the wraith is...what I described it as. It could be used for a “magic ninja”, sure. As could an Arcane trickster rogue, gloom stalker ranger, Hexblade warlock, and probably a few others.

the wraith is the mystical assassin.

doctorbadwolf

The Assassin has some overlap with the rogue, but more with the ranger, tbh.

The striking from the shadows thing is the main resemblance, and that’s more mechanic for the rogue than concept.

What if this isn’t answered in the OP? I mean obviously not in detail, but...I outlined the basic design goals and mechanical focuses and a few defining mechanics in the OP.
With respect, if you outlined your basic design goals, I did not understand them. Could you clarify? Put it this way: what might the introductory fluff paragraph for the assassin base class say that an intro for the rogue would not say?

doctorbadwolf

With respect, if you outlined your basic design goals, I did not understand them. Could you clarify? Put it this way: what might the introductory fluff paragraph for the assassin base class say that an intro for the rogue would not say?
“Here’s an Assassin. Go kill stuff. The reason will depend on your Guild/Enclave/Whatever.”

I’m not gonna write a whole thing out, here, but snark aside the assassin is the blade in the dark. I’d probably lean on the righteous assassin for the fluff, rather than leave it totally ambiguous, but the subclass concepts are strong enough I’d also maybe bring them online at level 1. Depends on how thing shake out.

I guess I don’t see what needs explaining about the assassin?

doctorbadwolf

To be clear, I have made an assassin using the rogue as a model, before, and I actually didn’t like it.

instead, I’d look to the monk and ranger for mechanical formatting ideas and comparisons.

Mechanically, the class should have a more focused toolkit than the rogue, with a less “mundane” but not Spellcasting base class, perhaps utilize specialized tools and weapons as a defining trait, and mark targets in some way.

A focused hunter of sentient enemies, using concealable weapons, specialized tools, stealth, and careful study of their target. They should be able to handle small groups well enough to either silence or effectively escape from them, but not tank them.

they should also do something new, right in the base class.

Remove ads