Spelljammer Astral Elves: Spelljammer's Elves In Spaaaaace!

WotC has a preview of Spelljammer's upcoming Astral Elves over on D&D Beyond (following on from their preview of the Giff last week). Astral Elves can teleport as a bonus action, use divine cantrips, and 'tap into the knowledge of the infinite multiverse' to pick up new proficiencies after a long rest. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1291-sneak-peek-play-as-the-immortal-astral-elf-from

WotC has a preview of Spelljammer's upcoming Astral Elves over on D&D Beyond (following on from their preview of the Giff last week).

Astral Elves can teleport as a bonus action, use divine cantrips, and 'tap into the knowledge of the infinite multiverse' to pick up new proficiencies after a long rest.

spelljammer-xaryxis.jpg

Yaarel

He Mage
I want one versatile elf race format to rule them all.

ELF
Creature type.
Humanoid, or an other creature type that you and your DM agree is appropriate.
Size. Medium, typically any human height, weight, and bodytype.
Speed. Walk 30.

Ability Score Improvements. Choose +2 any and +1 other, or +1 any three.
Age. Adult around 20, then eternally youthful.

Fey Ancestry. Charm resistance.
Trance. Immunity to sleep, and 4-hour meditation equivalent to long rest.
Elven Magic. Choose either one cantrip from any spell list, or darkvision 60.

Elven Feat. Choose one thematically elvish feat, or two such half-feats.

An innate slot-2 spell, such as Misty Step or Invisibility, per short rest, is an example of a half-feat.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
DNDBeyond mentions the Astral Elf has "Misty Step a couple of times a day". This feature differs from the UA astral elf version.

Misty Step is a sizable design space. It is unclear where they would make room for it.

If the UA astral elf deletes Radiant Soul and Darkvision, and perhaps reduces the Trance Proficiencies from two tools (or weapons) to only one per trance, that opens enough room for the Misty Step to appear in a balanced way.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
I know there are too many elf races, but I happen to like the astral version of the elf, because it is closer to the Norse elf.

Its skyey and luminous themes, its innate magic, its immortality, and its choosable ability score improvements, are all welcome. Even the affinity for tools and crafting is appropriate. Now the flavor of Misty Step can hint at the ghostlike manifestations of some apparitions. It is a decent Norsesque elf.

If necessary, I would swap out darkvision and Perception for Arcana and a choice of slot-1 spell per long rest.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
The Eladrin are already in both Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes and Monsters of the Multiverse.
DNDBeyond:

"a couple times a day or more"

might mean

proficiency bonus times per day.

It is ambiguous, because alternatively it might be assuming at least one short rest, while allowing the possibility of more.

I probably prefer pro per day because the nova potential feels more flavorful. The elf can bamf around, rather than just once.

Yaarel

He Mage
In the image from DNDBeyond, this is probably the Mithril Dragon?

spelljammer-xaryxis.jpg

My favorite dragon is the 4e Mithril Dragon that teleports at-will. IIRC, "Move. Teleport 50". It inhabits the astral plane.

Remove ads

Remove ads