• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

shadowlight

First Post
It's pretty fun (I've played it on PS2 and XBox -- XBox is pretty much the same w/ marginally better graphics), but don't expect much of an RPG.

If you've played the new Gauntlet game (also on PS2 and XBox) then you're getting the idea... It's more of an action game. I'd compare it to Dungeon Siege rather than Neverwinter Nights if that helps.

Last edited:

Zappo

Explorer
It is a very good Diablo-style game. It has absolutely and completely nothing to do with 3E rules, despite what the hype says. Don't buy it if you expect a 3E game.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Zappo said:
It is a very good Diablo-style game. It has absolutely and completely nothing to do with 3E rules, despite what the hype says. Don't buy it if you expect a 3E game.

Hey! Some of the 'feats' share names with things in the 3e book.

That's about as close as it gets, though. The arcane archer is human, the elven sorceress doesn't seem to suffer from arcane spell failure in heavy armor, spells seem to be based off of a spell point system (which inexplicably powers the fighting abilities of the dwarf as well)...

If you want even vague adherence to 3e, you want Neverwinter Nights (although even that has its problems. Power Words as Divination spells? Huh?)

J

wighair

Explorer
I've got this and basically agree with whats been said. Very little to do with 3e, BUT it is a very slick and good looking chop 'em up, grab the gold type of game.

And the barmaid is VERY nice! ;-)

LightPhoenix

First Post
The game is rather short. I wouldn't pick it up at full price. My little brother beat it in three days, counting the time he had high school and homework, amonst other things.

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance has the most realistic (i.e. not over-the-top) voice-acting of any D&D videogame ever made (including Neverwinter Nights). :)

-G

Vanye

Explorer
Goodsport said:
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance has the most realistic (i.e. not over-the-top) voice-acting of any D&D videogame ever made (including Neverwinter Nights). :)

Though I'll be darned if I can figure out whom John Rhys-Davies is voicing. I'd guess one of the dwarves, but I'd hate to be typecasting him...

and has anyone figured out how to get the supposed quest from the drunk guy in the bar? I'm told there is one, but I can't figure out if it's true or not...

Remove ads