• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Bard is the biggest mystery in the 5.75e PHB

I suspect that the bard will look a lot like it's 2014 version with some UA inspired tweaks and quality of life changes (plus the two new subs). Honestly, that's what most of the classes are getting now.

No, a lot of classes have major changes, not just tweeks. The cleric and wizard are tweeked, but Sorcerer, Ranger, Monk, Fighter, Warlock, Rogue, and Druid all got major changes. Everything else is between tweek and major changes except Bard which because of how things went down is a huge question mark.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, a lot of classes have major changes, not just tweeks. The cleric and wizard are tweeked, but Sorcerer, Ranger, Monk, Fighter, Warlock, Rogue, and Druid all got major changes. Everything else is between tweek and major changes except Bard which because of how things went down is a huge question mark.
Remember that we didn't see the final products yet, but testbed samplers. The final versions will look different.

I much prefer class lists with Class-specific spells being mentioned in the classes. I think the current way of delivering spells and magic is absolute trash, I think it is utter and complete garbage. I look at a spell list and unless I know every single spell on it, I don't understand what it says about the class's flavor. And with so many spells overlapping, any argument that a class is flavored by its spell list is pretty null and void.

Themed spell lists based off kinds of magic + class specific spells described IN THE CLASS does so much more for helping me understanding and grok what's going on with a particular class's magic. The fact that we reverted to the abhorrent and dogturd system we have now for spell lists is a shame.

Remathilis

Legend
No, not really.

None of the classes play radically differently than their 2014 versions. We avoided major overhauls the spellcasting warlocks or template druids. The three spell list system and revision to subclasses were rolled back. What we are getting are some much needed additional class features and revised abilities. I don't view the changes as any different than what Tasha tried to do, but with additional freedom. Then again, if you think Tasha's was "5.5" I can't convince you these changes are any different than that.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I hate the “power source” idea in general and see no benefit to the Arcane/Divine/Primal divisions. In my opinion it interferes with DM storytelling and player flavoring while adding nothing mechanically to the game. Players and DMs should decide where magic comes from, and it can vary by setting as well. It feels like a “solution” to a problem that wasn’t a problem. Mechanics intruding needlessly on character and story territory.

I especially hate making the bard choose to use only one of the three. The bard is a generalist, and that’s their strength. Forcing them into one of those three spell categories just makes them a bad wizard, cleric, or druid. Their whole point is dabbling in everything.

The bard spell list should have stuff like Hideous Laughter AND Healing Word AND Speak With Animals. That’s what the class is about.

Last edited:

I hate the “power source” idea in general and see no benefit to the Arcane/Divine/Primal divisions. In my opinion it interferes with DM storytelling and player flavoring while adding nothing mechanically to the game. Players and DMs should decide where magic comes from, and it can vary by setting as well. It feels like a “solution” to a problem that wasn’t a problem. Mechanics intruding needlessly on character and story territory.

I especially hate making the bard choose to use only one of the three. The bard is a generalist, and that’s their strength. Forcing them into one of those three spell categories just makes them a bad wizard, cleric, or druid. Their whole point is dabbling in everything.

The bard spell list should have stuff like Hideous Laughter AND Healing Word AND Speak With Animals. That’s what the class is about.
Spells should have tags on them, rather than spell school categories.

That way you could have healing, blasting, resurrection, etc. categories instead and then give the bard access to sound, illusions, enchantment and healing.

Remove ads