• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BattleStar Galactica #20:Daybreak (2) Season 4--2009/Finale

Steel_Wind

Legend
The entire agrarian, walk away from technology was a big reach. Most of the people really where not doing what needed to be done to survive, I know it a TV show with limited in budget, but how many knew anything about farming... Medicine, I mean Hotdog’s kid is as good as dead, yea just a few holes

More likely very few of them knew how to farm and therefore, ultimately, they didn't.

They did know how to hunt and gather though. And there was no lack of game or wild foodstuffs. They were plopped down into Eden and dispersed.

And, ultimately, took out the Neanderthals.

I admit - a stretch. You can't plop down that many sophisticated people who knew how to read and write and have every vestige of tech or civilization vanish.

But hey - it's a TV show. I was willing to give the writers that sort of latitude.

Head angel/demons - might allow for that too.

Though the whole Kara=Angel thing? No. They earned some well deserved scorn on that one.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Baltar was guilty of breaching a law, but he - in no way - planned or was repsonsible for the extinction of the human race.

He didn't know - and had no reason to know. If he had known, he would not have done it.

I prefer redemption. He had his trial. He was forgiven. Season 4 was Baltar learning to forgive himself.

Besdies, for a man who had an angel living in his head, he turned out pretty well :)

But he was willing to breach security for a woman. Ignorance is no excuse under the law. And his actions were far from ignorant. The principle of what we sow we reap is firmly in place. In other words, you can't control the consequences of your willful actions -- and millions paid for it. And that trial was a mockery.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I already said that he was guilty of breaking a law.

No argument. And as for the reason that he did it - good!! It was an innocuous reason and, when placed in its context, suggests that no harm could have come from it.

You are on a legal level, confusing the issue of mens rea. When we intend to do an act, we are responsible for the act. One is guilty of committing the crime, sure. But that is a far cry from saying that one intends all consequences of the act, reasonable and unreasonable - or even to suggest that Baltar was reckless concerning the reasonably possible outcomes. There was no reasonable basis for Baltar to expect that the destruction of the 12 Colonies was a possible outcome of giving Six access to the mainframe. EVERYONE knew the Cylons were toasters and they had no human allies.

If you steal $10,000.00, and that act ends up unleashing a modified ebola virus upon the world - are you morally cuplable for that result, or simply guilty of the crime of theft?

While that does not militate against his guilt, it certainly DOES militate against the sentence. He's not morally culpable for the consequence of what happened.

The point is that he was guilty of breaking a law. Not morally guilty for betraying the human race to its doom.

The one thing Baltar did in the whole series that was an act of evil for which he really should not have been forgiven was his giving the nuke to Gina. That was an entirely different matter - and he was responsible for that. If he avoided Judgment - he dodged the bullet for that one, not the destruction of the Colonies.

I was always a little ticked at the writers of BSG for the petulant act of Baltar giving the nuke to Gina. They had done a fine job - before and after that one act, of leaving Baltar as an ambiguous man that the viewers could identify with on many levels. A man who was neither good nor evil and did things for selfish reasons, but not for chaotic or vile ones. That bit of writing was an event the show could have done without.

I would have preferred if he had allowed Gina to get the nuke unintentionally - and so was on the hook for the nuke by rescuing Gina in the first place, and being careless to let the nuke fall into her hands. That would have been more in keeping with the overall theme and arc of Baltar throughout the series. A selfish and negligent man, but not an evil one.

Last edited:

Abisashi

First Post
They settled down on Earth intending to interbreed with the natives, but thanks to the Baltar and Caprica Angels, we know that mitochondrial Eve was Hera - which means everyone else's children died off, or that they couldn't interbreed after all.

What was the point of the Opera House scene? It was made to be a big deal, but it felt so irrelevant.

This ending was terrible because, despite random prophecy and visions, they never really set it up; it was still a pretty hard science fiction show until the last hour or so, and then did a sharp turn. It would have taken 5-10 minutes worth of dialog before and after to have it make sense (Kara talks to Lee-Oban, Baltar or Caprica talk to their angels, the President has an informative vision, etc).

I might not be so disappointed, but the fact that they decided way in advance that it was only going to be four seasons made me assume that they knew what was going on and how they were going to end it - but they didn't, and it showed.

Abisashi

First Post
I was always a little ticked at the writers of BSG for the petulant act of Baltar giving the nuke to Gina. They had done a fine job - before and after that one act, of leaving Baltar as an ambiguous man that the viewers could identify with on many levels. A man who was neither good nor evil and did things for selfish reasons, but not for chaotic or vile ones. That bit of writing was an event the show could have done without.

I agree completely.

Fast Learner

First Post
I'm perfectly happy with the whole ending. At first I was a little iffy about the settlers thing, but after a while I realized that I didn't have a better ending for the show, and am quite satisfied with this one.

As for Hera being the mitochondrial Eve, the others can still have babies, I'd think, if somehow, effectively, Hera shares DNA with all of the humans and all of the Cylons.

Kara as an angel (post-death) was perfectly fine by me, too. I assume that the whole notion of God/Gods in the show is one of an unknowable intelligence beyond our ken. Doesn't have to be a matter of religion at all. The Daniel red herring was fine by me, kept me guessing.

One thing I was uncertain about, though: do Cylons age? Die of old age? I guess so, else they'd be around in the alt-present.

Wolf72

Explorer
Kara being an angel or related to one isn't to far a stretch ... I'm guessing there's some sort of deciding to take human form limits an 'angel''s ability.

I just don't see giving up everything ... heck set up an automated base for when their descendants finally make it back to the stars. what kind of stories will they tell their descendants?

does this mean that people who see visions have cylon DNA? or are they related to the gods? ... have there always been advanced humans among the colonials?

NewJeffCT

First Post
The series takes a different turn after the first season, more mystical and more drama. I would advice you watch the rest of the series on DVD and skip the boring (and stretched out) parts of the series, the overall story arc is interesting enough, but often the execution of the individual episodes leaves much to be desired.

Great way to put it. The overall story arc was very good, but sometimes it was not executed well. They had two great episodes earlier this last season with the coup & its aftermath, but then I think the three episodes after that (before the 2 part finale started) could have been condensed into two episodes, or even a 90 minute special.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Anybody up to a real challenge? :devil:

I watched the first season of BSG, but no more.

Anyone feel they have sufficient fortitude to spoil me on how the series ended, in such a way that I can actually understand it? :D

(It's not important that I know every little detail--I know we're talking 4 years of TV here--just enough that I have a solid sense of how all the basic issues evolved and were wrapped up.)

I know it's asking a lot. That's why I said "challenge." ;)

Well, I'll give it a try.

You've seen the first season which means you know about the prophecies about a dying leader leading the remnants of mankind to earth, right?

Okay, here goes- (please forgive any typos and omissions - I'm trying to be succinct but typing this while I'm at home with the flu).

SPOILER ALERT

Throughout the history of mankind and cylons there has been a repeating cycle of war between humans and cylons, and civil war between humans and humans, and cylons and cylons. The destruction of the colonies isn't the first time an apocalypse has befallen either humans or the cylons.

The Cylons had a plan (which will be highlighted in the upcoming movie Battlestar Galactica: The Plan - which will tell the story of the destruction of the colonies from the standpoint of the Cylons). It wasn't simply to erradicate humans, they just wanted most of them dead. The Cylons then took some survivors and ran experiments on them in the attempt of learning how to breed (whether cylon with cylon, or cylon with human). The Cylons were apparently motivated by what they felt was the will of their god and a desire for true procreation.

At the end of the series, you'll realize that this "God" has been pulling the strings from the start, throughout the endless cycle of destruction and rebuilding. This "God" is never clearly defined. But, we do know it's an entity of great power, outside of space and time, and not limited by our definitions of good and evil. This "God" has been subtly guiding mankind and Cylons, through all of these endless cycles, with the purpose of apparently perfecting the species (eliminating weaknesses such as hate, etc., and create a society and culture based around love).

After the destruction of the colonies and searching for Earth for a while, the survivors find a habitable planet in season three (but it's not Earth). It's definitely not a garden spot, but it is livable (about like Iceland in the summer;)). The fleet splits, with some deciding to colonize the planet (named New Caprica), and others deciding to stay with the fleet. However the Cylons find the colony. They begin running an experiment on whether Cylons and Humans can live together (with the Cylons in charge of course). The Cylons rule in an almost "occupying force" manner, much like the Nazis did in WWII. Torture and imprisonment are common, with incentives for informing on malcontents. A resistance group forms. Eventually, the Galactica returns, working in concert with the resistance, and frees mankind from the Cylons (Again). During this time Baltar is the puppet President. Eventually Baltar will be charged with War Crimes, but is found inocent. edit: Also, while on New Caprica, Saul Tigh (who is a member of the resistance) discovers that his wife Ellen is collaborating with and giving information about the resistance to the Cylons. In order to protect their plans for the "Rescue", Saul kills Ellen by poisoning her.

Eventually, the fleet discovers Kobol (the planet which is the origins of everyone in the 12 colonies). Their is virtually no animal life and almost know evidence of any past civilization, except for some barely discernable ruins. The Cylons however, also find Kobol. It's a race to see who can find the path to Earth in the ruins of the Kobol Opera House first. This is where the "Dream Scenes" in the intact Opera House happen. It's where we see Athena (an 8), and Laura Roslin chasing after Hera (the Half-Cylon/Half-Human girl - created out of love - apparently the missing ingredient for breeding between humans and cylons). Hera is picked up by Baltar and Caprica 6 and taking through a doorway before Laura and Athena can get to her. Also, there is a flash, but they don't show the faces, of the five unkown Cylons. This is also seen by a number 3 (known as D'anna) played by Lucy Lawless. Because of her revelations, she is viewed by some of the other Cylons (especially the number ones, or Cavils) as a destabilizing force, and are "boxed" so that they can't cause problems. However, both the Humans and Cylons are forced to evacuate Kobol when it's sun goes nova.

After this, a civil war takes place within the Cylon culture, mostly driven by the number ones intention of "lobotomizing" the centurions and raiders because they are becoming too "free thinking". This free thinking was possibly taking place due to the influence of "God". The Cylons split with the Ones (Cavil), Fours (Simon), Fives (Aaron), and one Eight (Boomer) on one side - and the Twos (Leoban), one unboxed Three (D'anna), the Sixes, and the rest of the Eights on the other. We find out later that the Sevens (known as Daniel) were boxed a long time ago (before the series) due to them being a little too philosophical and introspective. During the war, resurrection technology is destroyed for both sides, introducing a "mortality" factor to the Cylons for the first time.

Eventually, from following information found on Kobol, and from information a returned from death Starbuck has, the Humans and one half of the Cylons (the Twos, D'anna, the Sixes, and the Eights) finally find Earth. However, the planet is nothing but ruins with virtually no life (minimal plant life) and highly irradiated soil. Apparently the world was destroyed in a planet wide nuclear war. Some skeletal remains are found and tested. This leads to a Revelation that "Earth" (the 13th colony) was entirely populated with human-like Cylons.

What's also revealed at this time is that five cylons survived the apocalypse on Earth, the so-called "final five", and are now living among Humans (believing they are Humans also). They are Chief Galen Tyrell (Chief Engineer of Galactica), Samuel Anders (once a sports star on Caprica but now a Viper pilot and husband of Starbuck), Saul Tigh (XO of Galactica), Torry Foster (President Roslin's Chief Aid), and Ellen Tigh (wife of Saul Tigh). They left "Earth" after it's apocalypse nearly 20,000 years before the beginning of the series, in a non-FTL vessel traveling near the speed of light (with the expected relativistic effects). In the intervening 20,000 years, Humans once again create "Cylons" (the neverending cycle thing again). The five arrive in Cylon space after the first Cylon War (50 years before the series). The five "create" the Eight human-like Cylon models (the number 13 popping up again) and also give them Resurection technology. The Five each a carry a piece of the knowledge it takes to create Ressurection technology in their minds. Seperately they are useless, together they can recreate it. edit:We also discover that Ellen "awoke" on a resurection ship after Saul killed her on New Caprica, with all of her memories restored. Eventually she escapes with Boomer (just before Cavill is to have Ellen executed) and they find their way to Galactica.

Needless to say, after Humans and Cylons find Earth ruined, and peice together their shared history, there is a fleetwide depression that takes hold. Suicide's begin to increase. There seems to be absolutely no hope. Then, there's a mutiny on board Galactica, led by Felix Geata and Tom Zerek (Ritchard Hatch). Zerek has the colonial council executed. Eventually the Mutiny is foiled. Adama regains control of the ship and Geata/Zerek are executed. edit:Also, Sam Anders (Starbuck's husband and one of the "Five") is shot in the head during the mutiny. While he is being prepped for surgery he starts remembering everything about his and the "Fives" pasts, and starts telling them. However, before he can tell them everything, he goes into surgery. He survives physically but comes out of the surgery mostly brain dead.

After this, Adama decides that they aren't going to go out like this. They are going to survive, and begin looking for a new planet to live on. Cylons and Humans begin working together towards those ends. Also at this time, it's discovered that Galactica herself is falling apart, with debilitating cracks in her superstructure. The ship that has been their home and life is dying. The Cylons begin working together with the Galactica crew to save the ship by using "biologic" Cylon technology to strengthen her skeleton. What sets up the beginning of the end is when Boomer (an Eight) kidnaps Hera (the Human-Cylon hybrid child of Athena and Helo) and takes her too the Cylon colony on the orders of Cavil (a One). Eventually the fleet discovers where Hera was taken to and a rescue mission is planned. A mission that may very well be one way, and probably the last mission for the dying Galactica. Cavil believes that Hera is the key to "Gods" plan.

In the final episode, the Galactica jumps in to where the Cylon colony is, in the acretion disc of a Black Hole. There's only one way in, which will immediately put the Galactica within point blank range of the Cylon colony. The Galactica battle plan is multi pronged, use the wounded Sam Anders (who is partially brain dead and acting as a type of base-ship hybrid) to disrupt the hybrid controlling the Cylon Colony (hopefully disabling their guns temporarily), launch vipers to keep off Raiders, ram the colony with the Galactica in order to off load boarding troops (made up of humans, human model cylons, and cylon centurions), and having a squadron of Raptors sneak in the back way and rescue Hera during the ensuing battle. On board the colony, the Galactica troops find themselves fighting new type and old type (original series BSG) centurions. Boomer betrays the cylon colony and gives Hera to the rescuing force (Starbuck, Apollo, Athena, and Helo). Athena then executes Boomer. They make it back to Galactica where Baltar and Caprica Six are holding the line against centurion boarders.

In the climactic scene, Cavil and some centurions infiltrate Galactica where there's a showdown in the CIC. Cavil (the number One) grabs Hera and holds a gun to her head, with everyone on Galactica aiming at Cavill. Baltar attemps to talk Cavill down (and actually does a pretty good job) and Saul Tigh promises to give Cavill Resurection technology in exchange for Hera. Cavill agrees. A data link is made between Galactica and the Cylon colony so that the "Five" can transmit the technical data for Resurection technology to them. Unfortunately, during the "sharing" between the "Five" (necessary in order to bring all of the knowledge together) Chief Tyrell sees in Torries mind that she killed his wife (Callie). He breaks the link and attacks Torry, killing her by breaking her neck. The Cylon colony sees this as a betrayal (since the data feed ends with this event) and begins re-attacking Galactica. Cavill, in true cowards form, commits suicide rather than being taken captive by Galactica's crew. Adama orders Starbuck to jump them out anywhere (she does not know the rendezvous coordinates for the fleet). She sets coordinates based on a song her father taught her (revealed in dreams prior to this event - it also seems to be the same song that the "Five" kept hearing in their heads which eventually lead them to eachother and the realization they were Cylons). This final jump leads them to Earth - Our Earth - but Galactica's back is broken and will never jump again. We are treated to the view of Galactica cruising over our moon to our Earth, with the African continent clearly recognizable as they begin to orbit. They contact the rest of the fleet which eventually rendexvous with Galactica in orbit around our Earth.

After sending parties to the surface, we learn that this is our Earth, but in our far distant past, where early modern man is still living in Africa, specifically 150,000 years ago. On the advice of Lee (Apollo), the surviving Humans and cylons decide to not build a new civilzation, but to live with the land and pass on the "best" of humanity to the humans of Earth (our language, etc. but not our hate, wars and technology). Laura Roslin dies while Adama is flying her over the surface of what looks like Lake Victoria. Adama buries her on a hill where he intends to build a cabin and live out the rest of his days in solitude. Baltar and Caprica Six learn that the Six that Baltar kept seeing in his head, and the Baltar that Six kept seeing in her head, are actually Angels of God who were sent to them to help guide mankind (that apparently included the necessity of the destruction of the colonies). The Centurions are given their freedom and depart in the Basestar for points unknown, to live and evolve on their own. We can only assume that the Cylon Colony (where the other half of the cylons are) will eventually die out due to no resurection technology and their inability to breed. The fleet is flown into the Sun by Sam Anders after all of the colonies survivors settle on Earth.

150,000 years later, and we are now in our modern world. In a conversation between the Baltar and Six angels, we learn that Hera is "Mitochondrial Eve". They also believe that this time, we may just be able to learn our lesson and end the never-ending cycle of apocalypse and rebirth. It ends to Jimmy Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower with video of modern day robots. Possibly implying that this could all happen again.

END of SPOILERS

I really liked the way it ended. It was one wild ride. I especially loved the use of the original theme music as the fleet was flown into the sun. Gave me goosebumps.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Well, I'll give it a try.

(. . .)

Okay, here goes- (please forgive any typos and omissions - I'm trying to be succinct but typing this while I'm at home with the flu).

I hope you fell better. Well done on the summary, I am sure others will add one or two minor things but you've covered a lot of \details I had even forgotten. :)

Remove ads