• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BattleStar Galactica:Season 3.5--3/04/07--Arc 16

I am not certain it will be a "Ships of Light" return, but I think it will certainly play into the role of religion and supernatural mysteries of the show.
I absolutely don't understand what is _really_ going on, but the episode was definitely interesting and hinted that more was to come. (Even if not right away)

if the Galactica is going to be wasted at the moment its mission is complete...
I am absolutely convinced that this has to happen in the end. The Galactica will be destroyed and its destruction will mark the end of the exodus (though I don't know whether it will be a happy, bitter or tragic ending yet... Certainly somewhat bitter without her around. Though maybe it would be a bittersweet ending if she was just decommissioned and made into a museum :) )

Corathon

First Post
I suppose that the "Leoban" that Starbuck saw in her last moments was the same sort of being as the "Head-Six" that Baltar keeps seeing, or the "Head-Baltar" that Caprica Six keeps seeinng.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I am absolutely convinced that this has to happen in the end...

It would be rather fitting. For example, the main ship got trashed at the end of the first Robotech series, the story of which is similar to that of BSG (big arsed ship trying to get to Earth, fighter pilots going out to battle not-humans bent on killing all the humans, the home world gets nuked good and proper, etc.) Off hand I can't think of any other shows where the main ship is destroyed at the end of the show, but it is rather fitting.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there are potent echoes of Virgil’s the Aeneid in BSG. The stay on New Caprica thematically matches with the diversion of Aeneas’s fleet to Carthage. If Kara does learn something important from far side of life and death and then related that information to the rest of the refugees, that would thematically match up nicely with Aeneas’s visit to the Underworld.

However, if this thematic parallel continues, then the refugees will conquer Earth once they arrive.

In terms of following plots laid out in the original series, I wonder if we will meet Count Iblis. Baltar seems the most susceptible to the promises he would make…

Chimera

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I am absolutely convinced that this has to happen in the end. The Galactica will be destroyed and its destruction will mark the end of the exodus (though I don't know whether it will be a happy, bitter or tragic ending yet...

And Moses....er, Admiral Adama will never see the Promised Land...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Steel_Wind said:
It was still up there with Tasha Yar in the bitter after taste left in the mouth of the viewer. Insulting.

Are you kidding? Tasha Yar's death is just about the best T.V. death ever!

As for Kara Thrace. .. Cyclon. . . Or maybe that's too obvious and she's just dead. . if so even better. . .

I already thought a while ago that I am surprised there was not an epidemic of suicide among the fleet (meaning mostly the civilians, but soldiers, too). . . I would think that long times in space with no hope of going home after all their trauma, lots of people would be losing it. . .

Grymar

Explorer
I hope she's dead.

Not because I disliked her character, I liked her a lot. She at times was the heart of BSG. I hope she's dead because it means that there is something at stake and no one is safe. Producers often say that but then only kill off the bit part players (aka. Billy), but this...this was big.

Plus it fits with her character. There hasn't been such a self-destructive character on TV in a long time and it is only right that she ends up killing herself because she can't deal with her own emotions. Plus it makes sense that she would tell herself this elaborate plot about how special she is in order to justify her suicide.

Having her return would be cheap, I think.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
This was posted at CM, at the The Amphitheatre forum, by Pompous Magnus. The original source is from the AICN forum...

[sblock] I don't post on these much, but I was pretty upset about tonight's BSG, so I rewatched it three times, freezeframing through all the shots with the supposed "Cylon Raider" that Bucky kept seeing. Folks, that ain't no Cylon. The body is wrong, the movement is off, it cloaks in and out (not just through clouds.) But most of all, its engine trail is purple. Cylon ships have either red or no engine trails (I haven't been able to confirm, but I'm 99% sure.) If that's a Cylon, I'll eat my :):):):)ing hat. What it is, however, is occassionally white, and full of light. As in Ship of Light. Add to this the fact that Kara's "In-Head Cylon" is, in fact, not a Cylon (as he confirms when he says "I never said I was") and I'd say we have ourselves a proper set-up for the Serephs (the angelic creatures of original BSG.) Which leads me to a theory. If this is all going in a "war of gods with the humans/cylons caught in the middle" direction, then Kara's "Head Leoben" is a representative of the "good" Seraphs. Likewise, "In-Head Six" and "In-Head Baltar" are not just halucinations of Cylon programming (as we've set-up in the previous "there's nothing in Baltar's head" episodes.) Clearly, In-Head Baltar is not Baltar, and we've yet to meet a Six that matched up with Baltar's In-Head Six. Extrapolating from the Ship of Light/In-Head Not-Leoben theory: they are also Seraphs, communicating and leading the humans and Cylons in directions, as pawns in their war. This is a weird :):):):)ing direction for the show to take this late in the game, but they've always played the religious card heavily, and a little research shows how many cues they've taken from the original. Wonder how long till we see Iblis? The Seraphs just took Kara in their totally-not-Cylon ship of light, through the maelstrom. Not the best episode, by FAR, but a really, REALLY cool concept that could explain the whole "in-head person" thing very well.[/sblock]

And this was added also.

[sblock]Just a thought:

If Kara was taken by a third party, and not by a Cylon (cause, seriously, NOT A CYLON RAIDER), then that would explain Moore's comments about this episode changing the direction of the show.

If this episode introduces the Seraphs, then that's a MAJOR shift in the show's direction, even if it's one that won't be revealed or paid off until much further down the line. [/sblock]

Let the theories keep on rolling. :)

Joker

First Post
I liked this episode a lot. And I would consider myself a fan of BSG.

The acting was superb, the story intriguing, the death of Keira hitting hard.

And like Truth said, the animations were awesome once again.

But about not seeing her eject, I think that can easily be turned over in a later episode, where you see flashbacks of her jumping out at the last moment and being picked up by a raider or whatever that thing was (Did Lee see that by the way? When he said "visual" you had a shot of his viper, Keira's viper and the UFO).
Also, maybe she's not a Cylon but they cloned her instead. Who knows. I hope Katie's looking for a job is just an elaborate way of making us believe the character is really dead.

On the theory that Truth Seeker copied from CM:

[sblock]
The Head-Leoben might well be a Seraph. Baltar's Head-Six pretty much said she was so explicitly. Remember she did say she was "An Angel of God" at some points? I know when she said that at the time it was pretty much ignored by everybody, but what if she was telling the truth? Of course, we don't know if she was a fallen angel or not. . .
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads