• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best Armor in D&D

What is your favorite D&D armor?

• Padded

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Leather

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Studded Leather

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Hide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chain Shirt

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Scale Mail

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Breastplate

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Half Plate

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Ring Mail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chain Mail

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Splint

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Plate

Votes: 28 27.2%

• Poll closed .

feartheminotaur

First Post
Breastplate. Because it makes my 10 year old son giggle when he says it, because those things really should be protected/supported, and most of all - who needs to do a bunch of crunches to get a fabulously chiseled physique when you can have the armorer hammer out heroic pecs and abs for you?

Oh, and it's medium armor that allows a Dex bonus and stealth.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Studded Leather all the way. Because nothing says "I'm playing a game of make-believe!" like wearing armor that never actually existed.

Player: "I head to the armor shop and see if they have any studded leather..."
DM: "Brigandine."
Player: "...I can buy. What?"
DM: "Hmm? Nothing. The shop has the armor you seek, priced as listed in the PHB. What do you do after you've made your purchase?"
Player: "I'll put on the studded leather..."
DM: "Brigandine."
Player: "What? You keep muttering something under your breath every time I say studded leather, what's the deal?"
DM: "Sorry, just reminding myself what it is that your character actually has so that I don't get confused and think your character is wearing clothing popular when there was such a thing as 'punk'. Please continue to tell me what your character is up to after putting on their new suit of armor."

Strangely memorable table experience of mine from years ago.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Favorite fantasy armor: Depending on sex, the fur jockstrap or mail bikini.

Favorite D&D armor: the one that gives me the best AC

Favorite real armor: gambeson with brigandine chest and jack chains, accessorized with a good helmet and gauntlets. In a pinch, I'll settle for the good helmet and gauntlets, or, in a real emergency, just the helmet.

Harvey Bardman needs studded leather so he can go full-on punk and rock the house. Nothing says irrelevant aging hipster stoner like a spiked dog collar on a 40-something musician with a Kurt Cobain haircut.

(plate is the shiznit)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Favorite real armor: gambeson with brigandine chest and jack chains, accessorized with a good helmet and gauntlets. In a pinch, I'll settle for the good helmet and gauntlets, or, in a real emergency, just the helmet.

I also have a gambeson (the "armor by itself" kind, not the "under-armor padding" kind), and I find it a bit frustrating that this excellent armor is the worse in the game.

And oh yes, hand and noggin protection, supper important.

Remove ads