• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best Armor in D&D

What is your favorite D&D armor?

• Padded

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Leather

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Studded Leather

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Hide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chain Shirt

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Scale Mail

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Breastplate

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Half Plate

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Ring Mail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chain Mail

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Splint

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Plate

Votes: 28 27.2%

• Poll closed .

Tormyr

Hero
Totally depends on the character. Best armor is usually the one that fits the character's story the best. Often that gives the character the highest AC possible for the character, but not always.

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
Chain shirt, until mithral chain mail becomes available (if). Mithral chain mail can be mostly worn under the regular clothing, is light enough to allow for dexterity checks without penalty, and chain just looks cool, especially when mixed with other types of clothing (which mithral totally allows). I just like playing fighter-y guys that are mobile and sneaky on occasion :)

Regardless of edition, most of my entry-level characters (level 3 or lower) sport studded leather. It's pretty much my go-to armor. Though, I secretly covet plate mail.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
To start the conversation rolling, I will say this.

Armor cannot be cool if it's named after something you eat your food off of.

Discuss.

Yeah, I'd have to question that simply because of the "Knight in Shining Armor" trope. It's a bit hard to argue with nearly five and a half centuries of fanboying/fangirling over Arthurian knights in completely anachronistic armor.

Tormyr

Hero
Sure. But other than such paltry concerns as, "best for a character's story," and "best mechanically," and things like that ... what is the best armor?

(Hint- studded leather)

:)

Then I would have to choose no armor because it covers the widest array of character options. :p Monks, Barbarians, wizards, sorcerers, (warlocks?), and those times the DM arrests the party and throws them in jail with no gear at all. One of our best play sessions had the bad guy trump up charges and have the party arrested only to be transferred to his personal dungeon. Watching the wizard scrounge through the cell for spell components (penny for detect thoughts, spiderweb for web), the sorcerer freeze the lock and shatter it, the rogue fashion a lock pick, the monk shadow step out of the cell, etc. was great.

pkt77242

Explorer
Sure. But other than such paltry concerns as, "best for a character's story," and "best mechanically," and things like that ... what is the best armor?

(Hint- studded leather)

The armor of choice for the Succubus looking for both form and function.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads