Bladesinger PRC and the Elven Thinblade

Wolfspider

Explorer
Do you think it would be imbalanced to allow a character with the Bladesinger prestige class to use the elven thinblade as the focus of his combat abilities instead of the longsword?

Thanks for your input.

Crothian

First Post
I allowed it with e duelist (T&B was not out at that time). I did require the EWP to be taken, so I think that helped to keep the balance. I think that the weapon has a more elven feel to it, so I see not problems with it.

Wolfspider

Explorer
I did the same thing with the Duelist class myself. Seems like a logical extension. Of course, the Exotic Weapon Proficiency would still be required in both cases.

Any other thoughts?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I don't know - is it allowed with, say, a rapier? If so, that's a precedent. And if not, that's a precedent for the other side. :cool:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Darkness said:
I don't know - is it allowed with, say, a rapier? If so, that's a precedent. And if not, that's a precedent for the other side. :cool:

Not for the Bladesinger - though the Duellist is essentially rapier-only.

Crothian

First Post
Granted, granting this goes beyond the rules of the class as written. But as DM I enjoy doing that. And in these cases it makes sense because the Elven Thinblade is supposed to be the perfered weapon of elves.

Darkness

Crothian said:
Granted, granting this goes beyond the rules of the class as written. But as DM I enjoy doing that. And in these cases it makes sense because the Elven Thinblade is supposed to be the perfered weapon of elves.
In this case, you might consider not to allow this character to use it with a longsword since he trained to do it with the thinblade instead of the longsword - i.e., he can still do it only with a specific weapon type, just a different one. :)

Kyamsil

First Post
Sorry about my ignorance but... what is an elven thinblade?
Is it one of the weapons of issue #275 of dragon magazine???... I knew that I would come to regret missing #275 and #276 for being too slow about the subscription renewal... damn...

Crothian

First Post
You guessed it. It's an exotic weapon that does the damage of a longsword and has the crit range of a rapier.

And, yes Darkness, I allow it only with the Elven Longblade.

Darkness

Crothian said:
You guessed it. It's an exotic weapon that does the damage of a longsword and has the crit range of a rapier.
(Other statistics are like a rapier's, too.)

And all that for a measly 100 gp apiece! :p

And, yes Darkness, I allow it only with the Elven Longblade.
Thinblade. :cool: Sounds good, anyway. :)

Remove ads