D&D 5E Bloodied Condition in 5e:

Nebulous

Legend
I believe the wording is: "when reduced to half its hit points or fewer" or "when at half its hit points or fewer".
ok i will check. eleven hits in the core MM. Most are repeated phrases in swarm stat blocks

Bites. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 0 ft. , one creature
in the swarm 's space. Hit: 5 (2d4) piercing damage, or 2 (1d4)
piercing damage if the swarm has half of its hit points or fewer.

Berserk. Whenever the golem starts its turn with 60 hit points
or fewer
, roll a d6. On a 6, the golem goes berserk. On each of

Volo had this one: Flammable Blood. If the cave fisher drops to half its hit points
or fewer
, it gains vulnerability to fire damage.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Not as many as 4E. Probably not enough to satisfy a real 4E lover. But the concept is definitely in 5E, even if they don't use the term.
Without significant support and no a few monsters with a clause on them do not count. There are 357 powers with bloodied. And bloodies on 34. I pointed out player facing things for a reason. To me the use was part of supporting numerous heroic genre concepts rather elegantly. When the going gets tough the tough get going for example is about player character abilities engaging as anything. Sure it was also useful for monsters to be more interesting and have stages to the fight but meh that is a small portion to me.

Nebulous

Legend
I don't have an exact list, but it is, in fact "many", and some of those "many" were in the Monster Manual IIRC.

I'm not seeing much, unless it has different key words. I checked the MM, V olo and Mordenkainen. If I simplify it to just the word "fewer" to eliminate any other odd phrasing, there's almost nothing there. I DID think there was more myself. Somewhere.

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Without significant support and no a few monsters with a clause on them do not count. There are 357 powers with bloodied. And bloodies on 34.
Yes, well, I consider you a "real 4E lover" based on your post history, so I'm not surprised that you don't find enough of it to satisfy you. And that's fine. All I'm saying is that the concept hasn't been entirely abandoned.

I feel like I've seen a fair number of custom monsters in various adventures that have abilities that kick in at half hit points. But I couldn't tell you which ones and whether they were WOTC or third-party.

Tony Vargas

Legend
All I'm saying is that the concept hasn't been entirely abandoned.
I feel like I've seen a fair number of custom monsters in various adventures that have abilities that kick in at half hit points. But I couldn't tell you which ones and whether they were WOTC or third-party.
Seriously, the only difference is the number of words taken to convey the same concept, and the consistency with which it's used. The more you use it, the more having a jargon label will simplify things, but there's no built in limit.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Death spirals are a particular subtype of "dangerous" that is unfun for many people.
And ironically not really "realistic" if you are talking wound response, the body is pretty damn good at suppressing wound response until we feel safe. However a defeat spiral where the enemy gets ahead in terms of many abstractions I am thinking we will find no evidence LOL. Is this actually a death spiral?

Nebulous

Legend
I've seen that too, but I can't think of a particular monster off the top of my head. Zombies have undead fortitude which is similar.

I'm looking for keyword hits in the monster manuals but there is very little.

Quaggoth isn't bloodied, it's a nearly dead trigger:

Wounded Fury. While it has 10 hit points or fewer, the
quaggoth has advantage on attack rolls. In addition, it deals an
extra 7 (2d6) damage to any target it hits with a melee attack.

Volo just has this one:

Flammable Blood. If the cave fisher drops to half its hit points
or fewer, it gains vulnerability to fire damage.

Mordenkainen has:

Overactive Sense of Self· Preservation. If the clockwork
has half its hit points or fewer at the start of
its turn in combat, roll a d6. If you roll a 1, it retreats
from combat. If retreat isn't possible, it continues
fighting.

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Well... perhaps we need to define "mega-popular". If Savage Worlds is "mega-popular", then what the heck is 5e? Giga-popular? Peta-popular? Yotta-popular?
Uber-popular.

And maybe I overestimate the popularity of Savage Worlds based on the fact that I knew some people who just wouldn't shut up about it for a few years when it was the new hotness.

Um... it is a DEATH spiral.
Well yeah, but figure skaters survive doing them all the time, so obviously it's not literal. ;)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Even some class abilities make use of the long-winded bloodied condition. From memory, the life cleric channel divinity restores hit points up to the target's bloodied level and the champion fighter's regeneration only kicks in when bloodied.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
and the champion fighter's regeneration only kicks in when bloodied.
OK that I will accept as indicative of minor support for the concept.

Survivor - At 18th level, you attain the pinnacle of resilience in battle. At the start of each of your turns, you regain hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier if you have no more than half of your hit points left. You don't gain this benefit if you have 0 hit points.

Remove ads