D&D 5E Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade Nerfed in TCoE

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I wonder if the cost on the weapon is just intended to make the "weapon used as a component" not be elided by a component pouch.
I think it’s more likely intended specifically to prevent using the spells with shadow blade (natural weapons are just collateral damage). Note that Shadow Blade didn’t exist when the spells were first written, and it is not currently possible to access both with PHB+1.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The cantrips from SCAG are very powerful considering that they, at face value, can be used by any '1-attack' warrior to gain a respectable damage increase. And ontop of that the modifying factors mentioned above come into play. We all know that booming blade and green-flame blade are ported over from 4E's Swordmage. I think they were inserted into 5E as an addendum to the bladesinger, which is a little strange since the eldritch knight seems more like the swordmage of old, than the bladesinger does.

The new rule changes ties the cantrips even more to bladesingers, strengthening that design choice.

It is what it is, I suppose. Both cantrips still play a role for all 'weaker' melee characters (such as a cleric, wanting to have a decent melee attack) that looks to to add to their melee output through the Magic Initiate feat.
They’re actually direct ports of the at Will powers of the 4e Bladesinger, which is a Wizard.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Green Flame Blade at least was a Bladesinger power that was used with a melee basic attack.
Hmm. Never mind. The style of them is definitely closer to the Bladesinger at wills than the swordmage at wills, though.

They were all extra effects you could put on a melee basic attack. Pretty fun to use. Just failed to deliver on the rest of the class.

I just realized that this also makes it so you can't use Shadow Blade, Flame Blade, or some weapons that come from class features with the Blade cantrips.
This has always been the case. The thing about material components is they have to be, you know material....

Flame Blade is a melee spell attack in any case. I can't think why anyone would suppose it could be used to make a melee weapon attack.

Remove ads