• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Build advice: Limits by Power Source instead of Class

It's straight out of a Legolas scene in LotR. Stabs an orc with an arrow, shoots the same arrow at another orc.

Its not just the one power either, MP2 has an entire ranger 'subclass' that is built around stabbing and throwing. Its actually kinda good, too. Maybe not quite on a par with the scariness of a full archer build, but its not exactly sub-par.

MwaO

Adventurer
Its not just the one power either, MP2 has an entire ranger 'subclass' that is built around stabbing and throwing. Its actually kinda good, too. Maybe not quite on a par with the scariness of a full archer build, but its not exactly sub-par.

Throw & Stab is actually one of my favorite at-wills to poach with Half-Elf Dilettante and a build that relies on melee basics.

Not better than Twin Strike, but really interesting and fun in play with all the movement and spread out attacks.

Throw & Stab is actually one of my favorite at-wills to poach with Half-Elf Dilettante and a build that relies on melee basics.

Not better than Twin Strike, but really interesting and fun in play with all the movement and spread out attacks.

Yeah, I found it to be a really FUN power, and strong enough that you aren't horribly gimping yourself by using it instead of TS. I made a ranger that used it that had a movement speed of, IIRC, 9 when all was said and done, at least for a round or two every fight. That was amusing. I caught the GM in that game flat-footed numerous times. He'd think his skirmishers and soldier had the front line all nice and wrapped up, and then I'd just do an end run, throw and stab, and then charge on in with an AP or something like that.

MwaO

Adventurer
Yeah, I found it to be a really FUN power, and strong enough that you aren't horribly gimping yourself by using it instead of TS. I made a ranger that used it that had a movement speed of, IIRC, 9 when all was said and done, at least for a round or two every fight. That was amusing. I caught the GM in that game flat-footed numerous times. He'd think his skirmishers and soldier had the front line all nice and wrapped up, and then I'd just do an end run, throw and stab, and then charge on in with an AP or something like that.

My build was a Ranger|Cleric with Righteous Brand as a MBA via Power of Skill and using a Hungry Greatspear. Made things very interesting as I didn't have to go adjacent. So when I'd spend the AP, I'd get another move...I'd probably switch to Cahuluks, because they're both throwable, have reach, and are a flail for amusing Flail Expertise/Lashing Flail tricks...

Throw & Stab only works with thrown weapons though. (Well, one thrown and one melee.) It doesn't work with bows/crossbows.

Given the movie Legolas popularity it's actually kind of weird that 4e doesn't have more bow-specific stab & shoot powers.

My build was a Ranger|Cleric with Righteous Brand as a MBA via Power of Skill and using a Hungry Greatspear. Made things very interesting as I didn't have to go adjacent. So when I'd spend the AP, I'd get another move...I'd probably switch to Cahuluks, because they're both throwable, have reach, and are a flail for amusing Flail Expertise/Lashing Flail tricks...

Ah yes, that's an awesome one too, the flail stuff is very amusing. You can attain some really stupid levels of control with that too. Suck them in, knock them down, etc. Hungry is kind of a crazy enchantment really. How about a combo with Avenger? I mean pulling someone 10 squares sort of screams 'isolation'.

Throw & Stab only works with thrown weapons though. (Well, one thrown and one melee.) It doesn't work with bows/crossbows.

Given the movie Legolas popularity it's actually kind of weird that 4e doesn't have more bow-specific stab & shoot powers.

I always thought it would be pretty thematic with the Hand Crossbow.

Remove ads