• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Canada portrayed negatively in games?

Banshee16

First Post
HellHound said:
For inaccuracies, check out the first adventure published for Werewolf the Apocalypse. It is PAINFUL.

The party is teleported to northern Saskatchewan, and the villain routinely drives between that location and Toronto, only 150 miles away.

Yep. 150 miles.

I suppose if you have access to wormholes.

To be expected though. I love being asked by Americans if Ottawa is in Vancouver. :)

Banshee

ssampier

First Post
pawsplay said:
I can sympathize with the Canadians. I used to live in New Mexico, the US State. I don't know if they still do, but New Mexico Monthly used to have a section, every month, called "Once of our Fifty is Missing," describing such things as people thinking you need a passport to visit New Mexico, that you need to take a boat, that you need to know Spanish, etc. My favorite was the US Army surveyors map that somehow managed to omit New Mexico, distorting the map and passing out slivers of land here and there to make it work.

I sympathize. Pre-2002, I think Utah was similar. With the Olympics coverage, I think Utah's rep has increased slightly.

Besides, if it wasn't for New Mexico, we wouldn't have Roswell and the UFO nuts. :heh:

kirinke

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I live in New Hampshire. A friend was traveling in Texas once and encountered an unusual opinion of New England. Apparently (according to a Texan), everything north of Boston is frozen tundra...

No. That's just plum wrong.

Anything north o the macie dixie line is a frozen hell.

And that's the durned truf :lol: :] ;)

Relique du Madde said:
Didn't you know that in Hollywood all states east of Los Angeles have interchangeable names and can be represented by traveling to different parts of California (if not LA County alone)?
Heck, even other parts of the world can be represented like that, after all, M*A*S*H taught us that Korea looks just like rural Northern California :)

Roudi

First Post
"It's amazing how the English countryside looks absolutely nothing like Southern California!"
- Austin Powers, the Spy who Shagged Me

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
ssampier said:
Besides, if it wasn't for New Mexico, we wouldn't have Roswell and the UFO nuts. :heh:

It amazes me that Roswell is a decent-sized city. I thought it was a tiny town until I wound up talking with people from there through the hotlines I work on.

Brad

ssampier

First Post
I have never been there, but I understood it was a small town, but grew with the UFO interest.

I need to visit more of my 4 corner states...

Rabelais

First Post
I'm surprised nobody brought up Shadowrun. Those wacky Canadians got annexed there too.

Canada was a much sweeter place to visit when I was a young man. Drinking age was 19 in BC (no idea if it still is), and the Canadian Dollar was at $.68 American. I Spent a very nice evening explaining that there were 3 states on the west coast of the US, not just ONE BIG CALIFORNIA, to two young ladies from Montreal. Good Times... Good times...

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I remember my only visit to Canada, back in the early eighties that was.... We went to the mall on a Sunday to get some stuff, the mall was open, but all the stores except for a coffee shop and a news/tobacco shop were closed, and did not even open on Sundays.

Despite this the mall had lots of people wandering around, window shopping, sitting on the edge of the fountain, and generally just walking around talking. They just came to the mall to walk around, not just the kids either.

For some reason I found this a bit of a shock.

The Auld Grump

JDJblatherings

First Post
jezter6 said:
That's because anyone south of New York considers anything north of Mass just another province of canada. I call people from Minnesota Canadians all the time.

I think Yoopers are Canadians as well.

I've lived most my life in mass or NH , I had a relative who was going to visit from NY call me once and ask if we would be getting the world series on television ...we assured him there were actual broadcast stations in the region. We also had toilet paper and indoor plumbing.

What is the big deal about maple syrup, don't they sell it in the supermarket outside of New England?

Canadian bacon is "peamealed Bacon"??? oh yum.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads