Candlekeep Mysteries (OOC Chat)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
If there are any spells (in particular ritual-ones) that you think that the party could use access to, Hawthorne has enough money in the Consortium's funds to pay for up to two of them.

Healing potions and antitoxins can be found as well. Hawthorne can pay for four of those, but he's going to start to worry about how much money he'll have for unforeseen expenses later (and there won't be any money for a riverboat trip, if he wanted a luxury return to Baldur's Gate). It'll have to be the coach, but that's working out fine so far.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Okay! I pushed it forward to the "start" of the Adventure (not including the stuff in Candlekeep). I hope you're all still with me. Let's go find the abandoned little mining village, shall we?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It never occurred to me to ask: Will the mountains be cold?
Your destination is "nestled in the snowy mountain peaks" according to the adventure. Your current location is probably damp and chilly at dawn. Heck, feel free to describe a brisk wind coming down from the mountains as you exit the coach. You're already at a not-insignificant elevation. The locals are clad in furs, but a LOT of them trek upward on a daily basis.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
If there are any spells (in particular ritual-ones) that you think that the party could use access to, Hawthorne has enough money in the Consortium's funds to pay for up to two of them.

Healing potions and antitoxins can be found as well. Hawthorne can pay for four of those, but he's going to start to worry about how much money he'll have for unforeseen expenses later (and there won't be any money for a riverboat trip, if he wanted a luxury return to Baldur's Gate). It'll have to be the coach, but that's working out fine so far.
Hawthorne is in charge, so feel free to pick out the spells (or potions) he will pay for. For wizard spells, Ruz has:

Absorb Elements
Comprehend Languages (R)
Detect Magic (R)
Find Familiar (R)
Identify (R)
Magic Missile
Protection from Good and Evil
Shield
Snare
Arcane Lock
Invisibility
Mirror Image
Scorching Ray

Your destination is "nestled in the snowy mountain peaks" according to the adventure. Your current location is probably damp and chilly at dawn. Heck, feel free to describe a brisk wind coming down from the mountains as you exit the coach. You're already at a not-insignificant elevation. The locals are clad in furs, but a LOT of them trek upward on a daily basis.

I'm assuming we would have packed cold weather clothes, then before we left? Or maybe bought some in Berdusk or Iriaebor?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm assuming we would have packed cold weather clothes, then before we left? Or maybe bought some in Berdusk or Iriaebor?
Probably a bit of both. You knew you were heading for the mountains in the east. It would have been easy enough in Candlekeep to have checked the expected weather patterns for this time of year. (Have I established the time of year?) If not, let's say it was late summer when you left, and it's now early autumn.

EDIT: After seeing your IC posts, it's also very possible that your preparations now seem woefully inadequate. You grabbed some basically warm stuff in Candlekeep or along the way, but these mountain winds... scarves and hoods need acquiring.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm so sorry, gang. I've been waiting for you all to post, thinking that I'd maybe lost most of you, and here you all have posted and it's ME we're waiting on. Somehow I missed that you'd all chimed in. And here we are at the beginning of the actual scenario from the book.

Okay, let's get started...

Remove ads