Candlekeep Mysteries (OOC Chat)

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I was having a hard time deciding if I want Argenti to be from Mulhorand or Calimshan.

For Calimashan, it's easier to figure out how she got to Candlekeep; It's literally just up the highway. For Mulhorand she would have needed to cross the entire Sea of Fallen Stars, get from Westgate (most probable port) to Iriaebor, then follow the River Chionthar down past Elturel, into Baldur's Gate (which means just skirting past the events of DiA), and then going to Candlekeep.

Actually, considering how she is level four, the later does fit surprisingly well.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Okay, I'm looking to get started. Before I post the first scene in the IC (that I will create when I do that), I need a show of hands: Your character will start in one of three places:

1) Arriving at the gates of Candlekeep as a member of the expedition working for the Black Dragon Gate Mining Consortium (referred to as "Blaggates" for short);
2) A "seeker" who is already in Candlekeep, probably at the Hearth (the tavern) and will find interest in joining the group as we proceed; or
3) Another location in or about Candlekeep that we will need to discuss.

Please give me your choice ASAP: @KahlessNestor @Leatherhead @DEFCON 1 @VLAD the Destroyer @Steve Gorak

... and @ART! There's still time to whip up a character and join if you so desire.
I set Ruznami's backstory as being a ward of Candlekeep, so he is probably around somewhere reshelving books, or cleaning something, or other chores, or doing some side studying.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
So I'm thinking, seeing as how It would have required a stop over in BG after a run from Elturel anyway, Argenti could be working for the Consortum, as a contracted negotiator perhaps, mostly to get into Candlekeep in order to potentially find out some information on magic gems at the behest of Aurumamma.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So I'm thinking, seeing as how It would have required a stop over in BG after a run from Elturel anyway, Argenti could be working for the Consortum, as a contracted negotiator perhaps, mostly to get into Candlekeep in order to potentially find out some information on magic gems at the behest of Aurumamma.
I've been thinking that Hawthorne could have overtaken Argenti on the Way of the Lion (the road between Baldur's Gate and Candlekeep and offered a ride. (Yes, the Blaggates have given Hawthorne a coach, driver, and footman for the trip, lucky fellow.)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hawthorne glances out of the window of the carriage and sees the silver-haired young woman standing beside the vehicle. He motions to the footman to open the door and lower the step.

"On your way to Candlekeep, Miss? Then, please... allow Shedrick to bring you aboard and we shall ride in style on behalf of the Black Dragon Gate Mining Consortium."

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey @FitzTheRuke,

I've been reading on online forums that the twilight cleric is a bit bonkers and overpowered. Do you think that will be a problem? I'm a bit worried now, I think the channel divinity may make things too easy... What are your thoughts on the matter? FYI, I'm open to switching to another domain (Light & tempest and maybe forge come to mind). I wouldn't consider peace, because I read the same thing. Let me know, ok?
Cheers,

SG

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hey @FitzTheRuke,

I've been reading on online forums that the twilight cleric is a bit bonkers and overpowered. Do you think that will be a problem? I'm a bit worried now, I think the channel divinity may make things too easy... What are your thoughts on the matter? FYI, I'm open to switching to another domain (Light & tempest and maybe forge come to mind). I wouldn't consider peace, because I read the same thing. Let me know, ok?
Cheers,

SG
I don't know. My first impulse was to say "leave it and we'll see" but looking at it, not only is it pretty nuts, but it's also going to be a bit of a pain to do PBP, with the potential "Did x's movement enter my aura? Then s/he gets 1d6+4 THP. Who's rolling? Does s/he already have more THP from the last time s/he walked through the aura or did s/he lose those already?"

I'd have liked to see some new stuff in play, but that sounds a bit like a nightmare. It's up to you, but if you keep it, I'm going to suggest you pick one of two things: Either the THP gained is always 3+Level, so we don't need to worry about rolling, or you can roll ONCE when you activate that Channel Divinity, and the aura issues that roll every time it triggers for the duration.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
3 +
I don't know. My first impulse was to say "leave it and we'll see" but looking at it, not only is it pretty nuts, but it's also going to be a bit of a pain to do PBP, with the potential "Did x's movement enter my aura? Then s/he gets 1d6+4 THP. Who's rolling? Does s/he already have more THP from the last time s/he walked through the aura or did s/he lose those already?"

I'd have liked to see some new stuff in play, but that sounds a bit like a nightmare. It's up to you, but if you keep it, I'm going to suggest you pick one of two things: Either the THP gained is always 3+Level, so we don't need to worry about rolling, or you can roll ONCE when you activate that Channel Divinity, and the aura issues that roll every time it triggers for the duration.
3+level works for me. I’m assuming these refresh each round for the duration, so each new round, alliés in the aura get 3+level THP. It would average out close to that anyways and I’m willing to forego the 0.5 because it’s a super strong feature!
Thanks!

sg

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think one of the balancing factors of the Twilight cleric's THP sphere is that it is filled with dim light, which is going to reduce the vision of any characters without Darkvision who remain in it. Granted, that might only affect a couple of us (human and genasi I think-- the dwarf, svirfneblin, and high elf all get Darkvision), but it will have at least some impact on the game.

Last edited:

Remove ads