Candlekeep Mysteries (OOC Chat)

Steve Gorak

Explorer
I think one of the balancing factors of the Twilight cleric's THP sphere is that it is filled with dim light, which is going to reduce the vision of any characters without Darkvision who remain in it. Granted, that might only affect a couple of us (human and genasi I think-- the dwarf, svirfneblin, high elf, and the twilight cleric all get Darkvision), but it will have at least some impact on the game.
How very interesting, and a very astute observation @DEFCON 1 ; I never thought about that. That's probably why the domain grants dark vision through the eyes of the night feature: Eyes of the night As an action, you can magically share the darkvision of this feature with willing creatures you can see within 10 feet of you, up to a number of creatures equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of one creature). The shared darkvision lasts for 1 hour. Once you share it, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest, unless you expend a spell slot of any level to share it again.

So you need to waste 1 action doing this, but those affected get 300ft darkvision. Interesting & can't wait to try it out!

This got me thinking about the channel divinity feature, and whether it would cancel out magical darkness. I think so because of the first point highlighted below (channel divinity is magical & comes from a god). Also this.

1618524516558.png

DM's call though.

Cheers,

SG

FitzTheRuke

Legend
3+level works for me. I’m assuming these refresh each round for the duration, so each new round, alliés in the aura get 3+level THP. It would average out close to that anyways and I’m willing to forego the 0.5 because it’s a super strong feature!
Thanks!

sg

Yeah, I thought about the .5 too, but I think it works to just say 7 (3+level 4) for now. It will be easier to keep track of, and it's still crazy good.
I think one of the balancing factors of the Twilight cleric's THP sphere is that it is filled with dim light, which is going to reduce the vision of any characters without Darkvision who remain in it. Granted, that might only affect a couple of us (human and genasi I think-- the dwarf, svirfneblin, and high elf all get Darkvision), but it will have at least some impact on the game.

That's true! Characters without darkvision will have -5 passive perception and disadvantage on perception checks involving sight. It's not much of a penalty most of the time, but you wouldn't want to use it when there's traps about...

Steve Gorak

Explorer
How very interesting, and a very astute observation @DEFCON 1 ; I never thought about that. That's probably why the domain grants dark vision through the eyes of the night feature: Eyes of the night As an action, you can magically share the darkvision of this feature with willing creatures you can see within 10 feet of you, up to a number of creatures equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of one creature). The shared darkvision lasts for 1 hour. Once you share it, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest, unless you expend a spell slot of any level to share it again.

So you need to waste 1 action doing this, but those affected get 300ft darkvision. Interesting & can't wait to try it out!

This got me thinking about the channel divinity feature, and whether it would cancel out magical darkness. I think so because of the first point highlighted below (channel divinity is magical & comes from a god). Also this.

View attachment 135601

DM's call though.

Cheers,

SG
So I found this clear statement by Jeremy Crawford and in my mind the issue is resolved. Since it isn’t a spell, the channel divinity will illuminate a darkness spell. Cool ;-)

SG

Steve Gorak

Explorer
That's true! Characters without darkvision will have -5 passive perception and disadvantage on perception checks involving sight. It's not much of a penalty most of the time, but you wouldn't want to use it when there's traps about...
It’ll only affect our human rogue, but if there’s a risk of traps, I think my character will use the dark vision ability out of combat, and he’ll enjoy the 300 ft dark vision for sure!
Cheers,

sg

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Question for hp , Max at first then 5 per level for d8s, right? I think I messed them up and did the straight average. Should be 26 instead of 20.

Sg

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"On your way to Candlekeep, Miss? Then, please... allow Marsden to bring you aboard and we shall ride in style on behalf of the Black Dragon Gate Mining Consortium."
"Help from a mining consortium? Thank you, kind Sir!" The Genasi smiled as she stepped into the carriage. "Geb must be smiling upon me after the journey to get this far."

OOC: Let me know if that's too hard to read, some colors don't work that well.

Steve Gorak

Explorer
FYI, I bought my character some tools, since he has proficiency in many of them. He spends his free time sketching maps, drawings, and woodcarving. Very "elfy" activities ;-)
Cheers,

SG

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Oh lol. How did I forget I need a book to get in?

Lets see, retroactively bring something? Maybe a book that details the recent Mulhorandi rebellion, the fall of High Imaskar, and the freeing of the slave cast?

I'll knock off some gold to represent that.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Oh lol. How did I forget I need a book to get in?

Lets see, retroactively bring something? Maybe a book that details the recent Mulhorandi rebellion, the fall of High Imaskar, and the freeing of the slave cast?

I'll knock off some gold to represent that.
Well, you could count as one of Hawthorne's assistants, though I expect that there'd be some kind of condition (though it may just be "join me in my adventures searching for the lost mine" which makes for a good hook. Although, I think you may have remembered it when making the character - I feel like I remember reading something about Aurumamma's memoirs or something?

Maybe I'm just thinking of your Book of Wonders! They can't have that, but they can probably make a copy of it. Though I don't know how private that book would be, and whether much information could be gleaned from it. Maybe Aurumamma can gain power through followers that read it and become Warlocks? Do patrons grant power to followers, gain power from them, or both? Who knows?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Maybe I'm just thinking of your Book of Wonders! They can't have that, but they can probably make a copy of it. Though I don't know how private that book would be, and whether much information could be gleaned from it. Maybe Aurumamma can gain power through followers that read it and become Warlocks? Do patrons grant power to followers, gain power from them, or both? Who knows?
Oooh that's a better idea! Let me figure out what's in it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
All right - let's get everyone else introduced.

@VLAD the Destroyer & @Steve Gorak

I'd like you to pick where you are at the moment: The Hearth (the tavern); the Bathhouse; the Clothiers (a shop); or the Pillars of Pedagogy (the towers I mentioned). I will introduce you to your NPCs (Avowed Adjutant Guides - each seeker has one) and we can do some quick RP regarding your own mission in Candlekeep. Keep in mind, that the eventual goal will be to have everyone volunteer to help Hawthorne on his mission - so we'll need to work together a bit to figure out how that happens.

@KahlessNestor

In your case, we can make you one of the guides, if you like. Feel free to choose any of the other PCs to be assigned to. Or if you prefer (and this may work better), you can be slightly higher-up in the Avowed hierarchy, (what would be called a "Master Reader" and be doing your own thing. There's a lifetime of reading here, after all. In which case, it's probably best if your character enjoys coming down to the Court of Air (choose a location from the list above) to engage in debates with junior Avowed and interesting Seekers.

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Ditto for my character. I figure he already gave his books as mandated by his elven royal family, and is now contemplating whether he will return home, or delay that and see a bit of the world, help folks and fight some evil. he's leaning towards delaying ;-)

An Advertisement

Advertisement4