D&D General Character Classes should Mean Something in the Setting

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I’m curious what you consider necessary for a game to be D&D , then.

IME, nearly all campaigns leave some classic element or other out. D&D is vastly too broad to easily do otherwise.

I’ve never seen anyone claim that DMs who run a “curated” game, only using a few races and a limited scope of monsters, aren’t really running D&D, so why is a game where only humanoids, beasts, monstrosities, are commonly seen creatures, and dragons are semi-legendary, any less D&D than one that is just stock canon FR?
Do you see Dark Sun as not really D&D?

edit: I’m not meaning to be aggro about it, but I am a bit...perturbed by the suggestion that my game isn’t D&D because it doesn’t include every single element that’s ever been in a D&D core book.
D&D, more than any game system I've ever known, has something I like to call "Metanarrative Mechanics". Things like the Vancian Spellcasting idea (which is far from what Vance wrote, as noted). It makes massive assumptions about the structure of magic in any given setting, for example. They are to writing what firmware is to computer engineering. Not quite Software (Fluff) and not quite Hardware (Crunch).

Character races are often presented as a sort of Metanarrative Mechanic. It's why Elves are immune to sleep and Trance for 4 hours, after all, even though there's nothing in "Elfdom" within popular fantasy outside of D&D that makes them so. It was a Chainmail mechanic to give them a rock paper scissors advantage against the undead faction, but it became a core identifier of "D&D Elfiness".

Even in settings where that sort of mechanic or identity isn't actually -needed-, it is generally preserved just because "That's what D&D Elfs are like".

A lot of the metanarrative comes from previous editions. Not just Chainmail, but things like Dual-Classing and Multi-Classing from earlier editions shape our perceptions of what an elf is or isn't and shapes how designers create mechanics going forward. Which is why you -could- make a 5e Elf Barbarian at launch but wind up with poor stat bonuses to support your character, regardless of personal narrative. Then D&D went OGL and gave "D&D Elves" to everyone, including Pathfinder.

So yes. I think Dark Sun is D&D. Because metanarrative elements like these existed. There were dragons on Athas, but they're gone save the Sorcerer-Kings' aspirations. There's Vancian Casting, but it is inherently dangerous/destructive to use. Athas even exists in the shared "Mindspace" of D&D through Planescape and other metanarrative ideas, because it is -explicitly- difficult to reach. In the Black Spine Adventures Gith managed to make it to Athas through a single portal, but once it was closed they became trapped on "this" side, forever.

In the very limited description I proffered and your rebuttal of it, you shot down pretty much every metanarrative concept I put up as "These things are Quintessentially D&D", though granted I did focus on physical elements like spells, magic items, and creatures. That then spawned a different side-discussion about whether or not your game is or isn't "Really" D&D. This was not my intention in presenting those things and I apologize.

It's not and shouldn't be "This is a game that doesn't have Dungeons -and- Dragons in it, therefore it is not Dungeons and Dragons!" it should be: "These are quintessential elements of D&D that immediately spring to mind and help shape any world due to the metanarrative concepts tied to them, which is why we're saying D&D isn't as 'Generic Fantasy' as a lot of people seem to think. Stripping them away does not remove the fact that saying 'D&D in Space' immediately conjures them because they're a huge part of what D&D's identity is, at it's core".

And then through miscommunication my statement became an insult, rather than an explanation.

Though, yeah, my Big Mac analogy fell flat on it's face because I was having issues describing the metanarrative difference between D&D and the d20 system through what at the time seemed adequate allegory.
This is because D&D was never designed for a specific setting.

D&D was always a hodge-podge of different Fantasy S&S, and Weird Fantasy sources. If you were to take a step back and create the next edition of D&D for a specific setting from the ground up, a lot things would need to be mechanically re-thought out.

If it doesn't have a purpose; it should be cut out.

Because Limits are important.

They're not just how we keep things in check, but they're the best way to give things a unique flavor. When you have a world that includes every D&D class, and assumes the existence of every D&D monster somewhere, it's going to end up looking a bit like the Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk, no matter what you do.

The best way to create a new world isn't to come up with a new spin on existing classes or monsters; but to exclude things.

IMHO, you should stick to your first instinct and cut Sorcerers out.

Rather than trying to come up with yet another reason to include more of "Core D&D" , your setting will be more unique without having to justify why sorcerers are in your world. Because the more you include the more your setting will trend towards a Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk pastiche.

Them's the naughty words right there...

I have seen it on this very board that when GM's start talking about restricting this or that element from the core PHB for their home brew campaign they start to get very politelyish pushback for not being "creative" enough to accommodate what a player may want to play regardless of the settings conceits.

When IMHO it is restriction that tends to breed creativity.
1) D&D is Greyhawk. They were developed, hand in hand, as Gary Gygax's personal world and system after he and Arnesen and their friends reached the limits of what they could do with Chain Mail in the early 70s. That's where a lot of the metanarrative elements come from, like the aforementioned Elf-Trance and Sleep-Immunity. Something that Forgotten Realms included in it's elves because Greenwood based his setting on the D&D game system, since that was the system he was using, and the metanarrative elements carried over.

It isn't a hodge-podge. It's a very specific fantasy that has been put into different settings and identities, but there's a reason Mordenkainen can be found in Curse of Strahd and Bigby's Grasping Hand is still a spell in Dragonlance.

2) I -wholehearedly- agree! If something doesn't fit your setting/narrative you wanna tell, cut it, unless you can find some new angle to insert it that fits what you want to do. There are no Catfolk in the Ashen Lands. But I have come to like the idea of Sorcerers as the "Magical 1%" narrative. Makes for an interesting sociological angle to play with. It's also why I wound up giving Bards Patrons. Not Warlock Patrons, but explicit narrative patrons as rich people paying their way in the world.

3) Restriction can breed creativity. Or frustration. Collaboration is almost always preferred, in my book. Even if that means someone doesn't get to play -exactly- what they want. For example I won't let anyone play a Werewolf at my table 'cause it's a major hassle for me to balance encounters and the like. But they can play a Shifter Barbarian and RP their character "Wolfing Out" when they rage. Y'know, so long as werewolves are a thing in the setting that it's appropriate for a character to play.

Absolutely, and there’s no way people aren’t being influenced by popular D&D media, but much more than that is the fact that 5e just does a good job of making it really clear that you’re encouraged to do this sort of thing.

Anyway, we are still detailing the thread lol

sorry, @Steampunkette
S'okay! I'll go ahead and stop, at this point, as well. But I spent much of yesterday avoiding ENWorld because I knew the insult I had caused, however unintentionally, and wanted to do my best to avoid it, again, when I replied. I really am sorry.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
D&D, more than any game system I've ever known, has something I like to call "Metanarrative Mechanics". Things like the Vancian Spellcasting idea (which is far from what Vance wrote, as noted). It makes massive assumptions about the structure of magic in any given setting, for example. They are to writing what firmware is to computer engineering. Not quite Software (Fluff) and not quite Hardware (Crunch).

Character races are often presented as a sort of Metanarrative Mechanic. It's why Elves are immune to sleep and Trance for 4 hours, after all, even though there's nothing in "Elfdom" within popular fantasy outside of D&D that makes them so. It was a Chainmail mechanic to give them a rock paper scissors advantage against the undead faction, but it became a core identifier of "D&D Elfiness".

Even in settings where that sort of mechanic or identity isn't actually -needed-, it is generally preserved just because "That's what D&D Elfs are like".

A lot of the metanarrative comes from previous editions. Not just Chainmail, but things like Dual-Classing and Multi-Classing from earlier editions shape our perceptions of what an elf is or isn't and shapes how designers create mechanics going forward. Which is why you -could- make a 5e Elf Barbarian at launch but wind up with poor stat bonuses to support your character, regardless of personal narrative. Then D&D went OGL and gave "D&D Elves" to everyone, including Pathfinder.

So yes. I think Dark Sun is D&D. Because metanarrative elements like these existed. There were dragons on Athas, but they're gone save the Sorcerer-Kings' aspirations. There's Vancian Casting, but it is inherently dangerous/destructive to use. Athas even exists in the shared "Mindspace" of D&D through Planescape and other metanarrative ideas, because it is -explicitly- difficult to reach. In the Black Spine Adventures Gith managed to make it to Athas through a single portal, but once it was closed they became trapped on "this" side, forever.

In the very limited description I proffered and your rebuttal of it, you shot down pretty much every metanarrative concept I put up as "These things are Quintessentially D&D", though granted I did focus on physical elements like spells, magic items, and creatures. That then spawned a different side-discussion about whether or not your game is or isn't "Really" D&D. This was not my intention in presenting those things and I apologize.

It's not and shouldn't be "This is a game that doesn't have Dungeons -and- Dragons in it, therefore it is not Dungeons and Dragons!" it should be: "These are quintessential elements of D&D that immediately spring to mind and help shape any world due to the metanarrative concepts tied to them, which is why we're saying D&D isn't as 'Generic Fantasy' as a lot of people seem to think. Stripping them away does not remove the fact that saying 'D&D in Space' immediately conjures them because they're a huge part of what D&D's identity is, at it's core".

And then through miscommunication my statement became an insult, rather than an explanation.

Though, yeah, my Big Mac analogy fell flat on it's face because I was having issues describing the metanarrative difference between D&D and the d20 system through what at the time seemed adequate allegory.

1) D&D is Greyhawk. They were developed, hand in hand, as Gary Gygax's personal world and system after he and Arnesen and their friends reached the limits of what they could do with Chain Mail in the early 70s. That's where a lot of the metanarrative elements come from, like the aforementioned Elf-Trance and Sleep-Immunity. Something that Forgotten Realms included in it's elves because Greenwood based his setting on the D&D game system, since that was the system he was using, and the metanarrative elements carried over.

It isn't a hodge-podge. It's a very specific fantasy that has been put into different settings and identities, but there's a reason Mordenkainen can be found in Curse of Strahd and Bigby's Grasping Hand is still a spell in Dragonlance.

2) I -wholehearedly- agree! If something doesn't fit your setting/narrative you wanna tell, cut it, unless you can find some new angle to insert it that fits what you want to do. There are no Catfolk in the Ashen Lands. But I have come to like the idea of Sorcerers as the "Magical 1%" narrative. Makes for an interesting sociological angle to play with. It's also why I wound up giving Bards Patrons. Not Warlock Patrons, but explicit narrative patrons as rich people paying their way in the world.

3) Restriction can breed creativity. Or frustration. Collaboration is almost always preferred, in my book. Even if that means someone doesn't get to play -exactly- what they want. For example I won't let anyone play a Werewolf at my table 'cause it's a major hassle for me to balance encounters and the like. But they can play a Shifter Barbarian and RP their character "Wolfing Out" when they rage. Y'know, so long as werewolves are a thing in the setting that it's appropriate for a character to play.

S'okay! I'll go ahead and stop, at this point, as well. But I spent much of yesterday avoiding ENWorld because I knew the insult I had caused, however unintentionally, and wanted to do my best to avoid it, again, when I replied. I really am sorry.
okay, you lost me on the last bit about an insult? also, how do you make new meta narratives?

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
This is an interesting point, a lot of older Western fantasy media has a fairly bright line between magic and non-magical abilities, though if you go back to Western mythology that line disappears (and "the power of faith" gets mixed in too at some point), and certainly more recent Western fantasy, including stuff well back into the '80s, though more commonly since the '00s, has a ton more melding of magic and physical abilities, often in superhuman ways. You can see this in RPGs of course, especially in the '90s, when Shadowrun acquires Physical Adepts, or loads of stuff in Rifts. I mean, obviously Monks in 1E/Mystics in RC D&D too, but that's just direct use of the trope in a quasi-Asian context.

I guess it raises a question of whether we need a separate class that does this or whether it can just be done with archetypes within existing classes.
I'd actually say neither, specifically I think its inevitable for all martials to have to do it, given the sort of feats that high level PCs are expected to achieve. After all how does a normal dude with a sword, and maybe some training fight something this much bigger than him?

dndnext.jpg

There are even bigger, stronger creatures in the likes of DND's MM, and Pathfinder's Bestiary-- whether we acknowledge it explicitly in the fiction or not, high level martials have superhuman abilities virtually by default in modern TTRPGs (obviously, castles and armies was a very different way of handling this stuff) the reason they differ from warriors in our world might not be explained, but something about them is clearly different.

Paizo Designer Michael Sayre actually outlined how he thinks of the power tiering per level in Pathfinder, and mentioned 9th level as being the level where a halfling could choke out a massive giant with a neck he can't fit his arms around, and where a fighter could one punch man his way through an army of orcs unscathed. At a sufficiently high level, a fighter could bat aside adult dragons left and right, its actually built into the encounter guidelines.

The anime esque naturally-magic-martials is a natural progression of martials being able to 'keep up' with the sense of power escalation in these games, my goal with our setting is to acknowledge it and allow it to help shape the tone, rather than just being dissonant with the rest of the setting. At least in this world and game system, Martials simply don't stay mostly-realistic 'Jon Snow' types very long, so for this genre, where the standard adventuring pattern is expected to continue (instead of transitioning to castles and armies) the anime stuff is a good fit across the classes as a whole I think.

Obviously a game that hews towards low magic would handle it differently, and would be more apropos for the fantasy of a warrior as average person in a fantastic world.

Edit: even better example, consider Drizzt here going up against Demogorgon
70cbd481110b686bd0d22ad445048f64.jpg

then compare to demogorgon's actual size:

56848981d7a931c149b2e88fa9ae669c.jpg

Last edited:

Steampunkette

Supporter
okay, you lost me on the last bit about an insult? also, how do you make new meta narratives?
The unintentional insult wasn't at you. It was at DoctorBadWolf. So no worries about being lost on it.

And you create new meta narratives as you go. As things become a new aspect of the game, something so widespread it is practically universal they can become metanarratives. You just need your narrative element to be a -part- of the game system, itself. Something backed into the game's structure so tightly that it gets carried even into official publications throughout the years.

Jaeger

That someone better

Your OP was not insulting to anyone.

You have nothing to apologize for. You have a right to your opinion.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Your OP was not insulting to anyone.

You have nothing to apologize for. You have a right to your opinion.
It was not the OP that was insulting, but a later statement in the thread. Something that came off way less playful than originally intended, and then a question of the "D&Dness" of a game which was uncalled for.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Like I said early in this discussion, there just are too many archetypes in the fighter class to tie it to a setting.

Much how the barbarian was split off it, more fighty classes should be pulled out the fighter class to refine the image of a fighter. But that's another discussion.
I agree, thus my work on an Archer and my thoughts toward splitting off the heavily armored noble warrior from the less armored more down to earth warrior.
I also think Fighter being so broad doesn't help D&D overall, because a peculiarly large number of the times I've seen people "turned off" by D&D relate to the Fighter engulfing too many concepts whilst not doing them much justice (over multiple editions). But that's purely anecdotal.
Yeah, that makes sense to me. The Fighter being so broad means that every time there is a new concept that happens to use weapons people will assume it should be a figther, but the fighter just doesn't have room for actually satisfying changes to gameplay from the subclass.

With a few exceptions like Echo Knight, fighter archetypes mostly play like a fighter. A BM is just a Fighter with a few tricks every so often. Honestly, I think instead of extra feats, the Fighter should give the player a choice of Battlemaster and Champion at level 1, and you either get scaling superiority dice or crit benefits, completely alongside and separate from your Archetype. If you have to move some of the other low level stuff around a bit, fine, make the fighter table look like the monk's. But put that choice between manuever and simplistic efficacy be separate from the subclass choice, and instead be baked into the base class.

Then you can do interesting things like give the BM legendary actions instead of extra extra attacks, while leaving the EEA to the Champions, and you can give both of them more oomph.

Hell, while the fighter gets a lot at level 1 and 2, and Action Surge is really good, I think it still gets less than a Cleric, for instance. There's room to give a choice between a "extra dice when you crit" mechanic and a couple superiority dice and a couple manuevers, and scale both with level like you're a "full caster" of hitting things.

I agree with pretty much all of this, which is why I'd describe DnD as capable of being generic, but not of being universal (if such a thing is ever possible). I'll get into how 5e specifically is more generic than any other version of DnD ever made, and potentially capable of doing pretty much any style of game other than very rules light gaming, later.
Fair enough, and apology accepted.

To me, just for clarity, the specific in world items (races, monsters, spells, etc) of dnd needn't all be present to be dnd, and indeed usually aren't all present. Instead, I need it to be a fantasy adventure using the action resolution of dnd, and for the player options to be chosen from what dnd offers. So, some third party games based on 5e are still dnd, to me, while others aren't, depending on how far afield they go. Obviously where the line is will vary.
Agreed. I suppose I just disagree on how specific those quintessential elements are, and how much most people would think of them when you say something like "DnD in Space". Things like dragons? Yeah, any DnD made for a general audience will have a take on dragons, either using the MM dragons, subverting them, or making their absence notable and a thing to investigate or a thing that a lore keeping character would know about. Still, part of me wishes Dark Sun had used dragons in place of Dune's sand worms.

The ships of Theseus line colored my reception of the Big Mac analogy, because that concept is generally used to deny that something is the thing that someone else is saying it is.
I'm sorry I caused you to avoid the forum. That certainly wasn't my intention. I appreciate this exchange, and hope that we can just chat about using classes in the narrative of the world, now.

Last edited:

Steampunkette

Supporter
You didn't cause my to avoid the forum, @doctorbadwolf, I caused me to avoid it by insulting you. And I took that time to evaluate my position, how to apologize appropriately, and how to better express myself. It wasn't an attempt to avoid you, only an attempt to make sure I could do things the right way.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You didn't cause my to avoid the forum, @doctorbadwolf, I caused me to avoid it by insulting you. And I took that time to evaluate my position, how to apologize appropriately, and how to better express myself. It wasn't an attempt to avoid you, only an attempt to make sure I could do things the right way.
Very well.

Anyway, I’m curious what your thoughts are on approaching the question from a different angle. That is, what about altering classes to better fit the lore of the world?

Steampunkette

Supporter
Very well.

Anyway, I’m curious what your thoughts are on approaching the question from a different angle. That is, what about altering classes to better fit the lore of the world?
100% fine with it.

I generally try to avoid doing it -too- much because I don't wanna spend all the time I'm working on the setting going back to retooling classes, 'cause I have a tendency to iterate my settings repeatedly, and changing the class in iteration 3 means changing it again in 4, 5, 6, and 8.

I generally just get the setting together and do setting-specific subclasses and the like.

Remove ads