D&D Movie/TV Check Out The D&D Movie's Cast -- In Costume!

At San Diego Comic Con, next year's D&D movie, Honor Among Thieves, is getting a preview. Additionally, there's a 'tavern experience' where visitors can interact with D&D monsters and drink 'dragon brew', and at which is also displayed images of the cast of the movie in costume! everything below comes from that tavern experience, but there is an official panel/event later today (Thursday)...

At San Diego Comic Con, next year's D&D movie, Honor Among Thieves, is getting a preview. Additionally, there's a 'tavern experience' where visitors can interact with D&D monsters and drink 'dragon brew', and at which is also displayed images of the cast of the movie in costume! everything below comes from that tavern experience, but there is an official panel/event later today (Thursday).

rege.jpg

Photo: ComicBook.com​

Various media outlets are there and are posting previews and photos:

poster.jpeg

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I think it would be pretty difficult for Paizo to try and claim any rights to that image.
IANAL, but the copyright to an image belongs to its owner. It is not the depiction of an intellect devourer that is under question, but that specific image that an artist created.

Edited to add: It is definitely not the picture from the D&D Monster Manual, and it does look like the same image from Pathfinder. :unsure:

Last edited:

IANAL, but the copyright to an image belongs to its owner.
Not if it was produced whilst working (salaried) for an employer. If you drew an illustration whilst working for Disney, you do not own the illustration.
It is not the depiction of an intellect devourer that is under question, but that specific image that an artist created.
An image of something that belongs to WotC? I don't think so. If you drew a specific image of Mickey Mouse, is would belong to Disney, not to the artist.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not if it was produced whilst working (salaried) for an employer.
The employer being the owner.
An image of something that belongs to WotC? I don't think so.
This is incorrect; that's not how copyright of art works. If I paint a picture of your house, I own the copyright to that image. If I make an image of an intellect devourer, I own the copyright to that image. If I take a photo of you, I own the copyright to that photograph. If a company commissions me to do these things as work for hire, it owns those copyrights. The copyright lies in the expression, not the subject matter.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Not if it was produced whilst working (salaried) for an employer. If you drew an illustration whilst working for Disney, you do not own the illustration.
This is why I said owner, not artist. I think Paizo owns the copyright to that image.
An image of something that belongs to WotC? I don't think so. If you drew a specific image of Mickey Mouse, is would belong to Disney, not to the artist.
This is where it gets tricky. I don't think the intellect devourer is claimed as intellectual property by Wizards. Even if it was, that would get into trademark more than copyright? Again, IANAL, but if I draw a picture of Mickey Mouse for a purpose under fair use, I would own the copyright for that image.

I don't think the intellect devourer is claimed as intellectual property by Wizards.
Since they also appear in Pathfinder I assume they are part of the OGL. So (arguably) OGL conditions would apply to use of the image. Which I seem to remember incudes a "WotC can use your stuff" clause.

But it's all so murky that no one is going to want to challenge it.

It's also possible that the poster was made by the same artist that drew the Pathfinder illustration.

Remove ads

Remove ads