Citadel of the Iron Crown - Burglars in Mirkwood

Shayuri

First Post
(Well, when I say 'healing,' I mean partly hit points, and partly that mark on her head and the associated (she assumes) semi-possession. But bear in mind that Aranel sees Thalion as being the 'ranking elf' present. If he doesn't want to go to Thranduil, that's fine. She would definitely want to send a message of some kind though.)

Aranel's Info:

On the Male:
His name is Smeargar.
He is a Glad Hobbit of the Field and Wirrel.

On the Female:
Her name is Mythia.
She is also a Glad Hobbit of the Field and Wirrel.
She once claimed her head stung as she answered questions.
She seems like she may be serving unwillingly.

On "the Master:"
His name is Black Grendel.
He lives across the deep woods, by the river that runs through the Wirrel in a high house of black stones.
He wanted Baran's scroll

"I wonder if they mean Nimrodel of Lothlorien, or even Galadriel," Aranel says quietly, speaking the name with a reverent undertone. "Baran, you mentioned that the hobbit man twitched to his left shoulder. Have you looked at his shoulder? Under his shirt?"

Last edited:

Dlsharrock

First Post
Binder_Fred said:
Binder Fred activates Past-Posticus, undead golem of Awesome might!

I already did the nested link I think?
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4275716&postcount=169

This final question marks the end of interrogations. I'm assuming by this time that Aerec is not present.

IC
Final Question:

"What's His hold on you?"

The Hobbit's gaze falls to the floor and he seems to stare into space, eyes widening, bulging almost unnaturally. For a moment he looks quite strange, and Baran realises this is no short human, no precocious teenaged child, or wirey dwarf, but an entirely different creature altogether. "Mustn't ask me." He replies, "mustn't ask me about that. The others..." he shakes his head, eyes shining as a single tear rolls down one cheek.
(Reliability: 90%. There's no real truth or lie to discern, but there can be little doubt the Hobbit is scared and upset by the dwarf's probing questions about 'him').

Shayuri

First Post
"Maybe their people are being held hostage," Aranel suggests to Baran. "A powerful evil force came, conquered them, and now uses this mark to enforce control over them. If they disobey, others in their land could suffer for it."

Dlsharrock

First Post
Shayuri said:
"I wonder if they mean the White Lady...Galadriel of Lothlorien,"

[SBLOCK=What Aranel and Thalion know of Galadriel (spoiler)]
She could be referred to as the Lady of the Galadhrim (Lothlorien's loyal army), or The Fair Elf of the Wood interchangably, but she will not be known as the White Lady or Lady Galadriel until King Amroth abandons the realm of Lothlorien some years from now. Within Lothlorien itself, she is only ever called Galadriel.

After the king, she is the highest ranking Eldar in Middle-Earth (as Amroth's fate may never be properly known, she will never be named Queen of the Eldar, even when he has moved beyond memory and become part of Nimrodel's legend).

She is still well known to the Elves of the east as she is the mother of Elrond's wife, Celebrian. Elrond of Rivendell is very well known to all the Elves east of the Misty Mountains, being something of a legend in his own right.

Nimrodel is the wife of Amroth and she dwells in the lofted mansion Cerin Amroth (also known as Nimrodel) overlooking the realm of Lothlorien. Aranel might also consider Nimrodel a 'her'. However, neither Aranel nor Thalion have any certain knowledge of the 'her' referred to by the Hobbit.[/SBLOCK]

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Shayuri said:
"Maybe their people are being held hostage," Aranel suggests to Baran. "A powerful evil force came, conquered them, and now uses this mark to enforce control over them. If they disobey, others in their land could suffer for it."
The dwarf shrugs : "Well. Let's not build too many bridges out of cold hard mist for now : we have two hobbits in and three hobbits out, that's plenty enough trouble for me right now." Plus you'd think a 'powerful evil force' would have... better minions.
Speaking of wandering hobbits : "Do you have urgent business on the 'morrow, lady elf?" he asks, keeping his tone light.

<Response Aranel?>

Later:
Shayuri said:
"I wonder if they mean Nimrodel of Lothlorien, or even Galadriel," Aranel says quietly, speaking the name with a reverent undertone.
It takes a minute for him to remember... "Where the mellyn grow. And Gladden's... not too far from there." Unknown country, somewhere far south of where he crossed the Grey. "Long way to come."

<Response any?>

Shayuri said:
"Baran, you mentioned that the hobbit man twitched to his left shoulder. Have you looked at his shoulder? Under his shirt?"
Well, well : at least *one* elf he can understand : "Thought that too, Kamel of crimson. But no; didn't get the chance, forgot until I remembered..." Which leads to something he hadn't thought of before : "Can a thing of magic do that - the mark, the eyes - or do you need a *wizard*?"

Binder Fred, 2 days and counting.

Red camillia are Excellence and Steadfastness.

Dlsharrock

First Post
Citadel of the Iron Crown story hour is up in the Story Hour thread. A bit pushed for time right now but I thought I'd let you all know it's up there.

I don't think we need to roleplay the decision to go into Mirkwood in the morning, Fred. I think we'll wrap things up here and then take it as read that at some point the discussion happens and the decision is made to go. This saves a lot of unecessary roleplay since everyone (seems to have) agreed with the plan.

Feel free, however, to complete Baran/Aranel discussions about the interrogation as already started.

Soon I'm going to go ahead and start the new thread so all you guys have something to do. Let me know if anyone has anything they want resolved that I haven't addressed in this thread.

Shayuri

First Post
Aranel shakes her head in response to the first question. "My pressing business is unraveling this, and seeing what threat it all poses to the elves of Mirkwood."

She listens to Baran's musings about Lothlorien and nods. "A long way indeed. Have you heard of this 'Wirrel?' A river, perhaps..."

At the final questions, Aranel shrugs helplessly. "Maybe Thalion will know? I haven't made a study of magic...but in truth, I can't imagine one of the Istari doing something like this. It would be the grossest of betrayals of their very nature." She hesitates, then says, "But they are not the only powerful beings in the world."

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
<OOC: Wasn't planning on a lot of roleplay, Have the whole thing wrapped up by tomorrow. I *was* hoping for a reply from Renau though, plus a few replies from everybody re Thalion's message :

"You saw some merit in there, did you Ul boy? A solution to our hobbit problems?" Never get the hang of elves.

<Response Ulfang?>

Shayuri said:
Aranel shakes her head in response to the first question. "My pressing business is unraveling this, and seeing what threat it all poses to the elves of Mirkwood."
"And *my* business is seeing the camp runs smooth." Baran bares his teeth, "A favor if I could, Aranel Amandil. Three hobbits wander the woods, maybe close by, maybe waiting, maybe gone. And you, you are of the wood."

<Response Aranel?>

Shayuri said:
She listens to Baran's musings about Lothlorien and nods. "A long way indeed. Have you heard of this 'Wirrel?' A river, perhaps..."
"Unknown country, somewhere far south of where I crossed the Grey."

Shayuri said:
At the final questions, Aranel shrugs helplessly. "Maybe Thalion will know? I haven't made a study of magic...but in truth, I can't imagine one of the Istari doing something like this. It would be the grossest of betrayals of their very nature." She hesitates, then says, "But they are not the only powerful beings in the world."
He's got a sinking feeling about it, frankly, heart thudding with ponderous dismay. "Prefer a mad dabbler with a few tricksy things... Going to *pray* for a mad dabbler with a few tricksy things." A pause, then : "How big is a balrog anyway?"

Binder fred, 5, 4, 3, 2... :)

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Aranel gives Baran a startled look at that question, then starts to laugh...then stops abruptly when she sees the question is in earnest.

"I...they're beasts of legend, Baran. I wouldn't have any idea. But I can't imagine that this 'Black Grendel' is something like that. Something like that would have no need of subtlety or guile...it would simply take what it wanted and set the woods aflame."

She shakes her head firmly. "You may as well ask if he could be a dragon!"

"As for the three escapees...I had already planned on looking for their tracks. Though if they have any woodcraft, they will have had ample time to cover them by now. We will see."

Dlsharrock

First Post
I'll wait until this thread rolls off the front page of the forum before launching the next-day thread. I have two game threads active on the front page as it is and don't want to hog the list with three.

Presumably, everybody else will return once the new thread starts.

Remove ads