• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Citadel of the Iron Crown - Burglars in Mirkwood

Redclaw

First Post
Spurred on by the dwarf's obvious outrage, Aerec continues after the fleeing thieves. That looks like a good method, he thinks to himself as he sees Ulfang tackle one of them. He leaps over the low-lying bramble at the edge of the forest and follows the nearest burglar, attempting to duplicate the barbarian's action.

Dlsharrock

First Post
Combat Round 2
Ulfang grapples his downed foe (still need a roll) and Aurvandil runs down a fleeing burglar

Aurvandil's horse thunders mightily into the rearmost burglar, sending him flying into a bush of prickly bracken edging the slope near the treeline. The horse gallops on, Aurvandil hauling back on the reigns and drawing his steed short of the dense treeline. The horse rises on its rear legs, forehooves kicking out at the air, nostrils flaring. Then it falls back onto all four hooves. In the bushes, Aurvandil can hear the fallen burglar groaning. The others, meanwhile, are still dashing for the trees, Aerec closing on them at speed.

By round 3 other members of the camp will be hurrying toward the incident (irrespective of your Cha roll, Binder_Fred. The mention of a day's wage has finally filtered through to a select few), though not all. Many are still unsure what's going on, probably thinking this is some kind of brawl. It's not uncommon in a camp full of grass-roots Men who often tire of one anothers' company. (Someone running one of the brawlers down with a horse is likely to spur a few campers to attend also, though only the ones who saw it happen).

[SBLOCK=Shay: ]
Aranel pinpoints the direction of the sounds (shouting, sounds of galloping hooves, crying out etc). If she sticks to her preferred path through the woods she'll emerge into the camp at a point some 100ft north of where she determines the incident to be taking place. But she has determined the direction of the sound, so if she wants she can make straight for it.

Moving at 2x base speed through hampering terrain she'll arrive at the edge of Mirkwood where the sounds seem to be coming from in about 30 seconds (say, 6 rounds). That's if she wants to run, of course. In your previous post you indicated she was going to creep forward, but I think my starting point for her might be a bit further into the woods than you anticipated.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Dlsharrock said:
OOC: Ulfang grapples his opponent (roll exceeds AC) and succeeds to grab in mid-run. I translate this as a rugby tackle which puts the running burglar on the ground and Ulfang on top. Opposed Grapple check please Renau1g, target to beat is, ahem, 6 (so bar rolling a 1, the burglar is effectively held). The grapple check determines drawing a light weapon, not escaping from Ulfang's grasp.

OOC - UPdated my last post to include this roll. Sorry for the delay, yesterday was the filing deadline for personal taxes here in Canada, and I had the flu on top of it. Fun day overall ;)

Dlsharrock

First Post
The following takes place as round 3 begins off near the treeline.

Ulfang manages to pin the burglar's wayward arm. "Mmf!"
Aerec dashes by and Baran comes running up behind the barbarian and his floored quarry. The burglar turns his head sideways, eyes rolling to take in the face of the huge Man wrestling him. "Aarrrkkkaag! Great oaf! You're crushing me!" He coughs and splutters, then his expression changes, becomes softer, more pitiable. Tears roll down his cheeks. "Mercy!" He sobs breathlessly, "I begs you, doesn't hurt me any more. Doesn't do anything spiteful! I've got it. I have. I've got it. You can have it back, it's in my handses. Just doesn't bruise and batter me any more. Pleeeease!"

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
On hearing more cries, and hoofbeats of all things, Aranel feels a tingle that has nothing to do with uncanny elven senses and everything to do with the realization that something important is happening now. Forgoing stealth, she switches to a brisk loping gait, veering around trees and brush rather than crashing through it.

(30 seconds is 5 rounds officially, but it looks like it won't make much difference either way. :))

Dlsharrock

First Post
'About' 30 seconds, 'say' 6 rounds :) There's at least 1/2 round while she determines the direction of the kerfuffle.

Round 3

Aurvandil successfully stops the horse, which counts as his standard action this round. On a successful Ride check he can turn the horse on a sixpence and ride back to the fallen burglar as his move action. If the Ride check fails he can only turn the horse, which may give the burglar time to recover.

[SBLOCK=Redclaw: ]
Attack roll, unnarmed strike damage roll and opposed Grapple check pls (2 attack rolls and an unnarmed strike roll, in a nutshell). He's chasing somebody with their back to him, so they don't get an attack of opportunity.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Dlsharrock said:
Aerec dashes by and Baran comes running up behind the barbarian and his floored quarry.
"I'll handle him." The dwarf piles in, grabbing for flailing limbs, for thinness of neck. "You go!"

<Response Ulfang?>

<Baran joins the grapple (just rolled for str, please add the appropriate modifiers)> http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1584063/

<Dave You didn't mention, but did Baran notice who held the scroll (or held anything for that matter), either in the hut or while running? http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1584076/

Binder Fred, the Alcatraz in iron boots.

Remove ads