• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class List: HOW MANY?!?

Remathilis

Legend
Front Page said:
# The classes section had details about five classes: Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, and Warlock. Each of thes gets 3-4 pages. Then - as with the classes - there is an "other classes" section with 3-4 paragraphes for each class. I remember paladins, rangers, druids, barbarians, swordmages and warlords among those.
# I couldn't find any mention in the book why they chose to write about some races and classes in detail, and why some get only some paragraphs. While for some of the "lesser" races and classs it did say that those would appear probably in later D&D proucts, I couldn't find any passage saying that those and only those detailed would be in the PHB. (Five base classes certainly seem to much.)

So first it was 8-15, then eight. Then roughly eight, now FIVE?

Ok, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric, Fighter I can see. But why drag along warlock if your not bringing along other classes (like paladin or ranger) also? Why did these guys get the big count and the others get an honorable mention.

My theory.

1.) They don't have a final total, but you can bet your bottom GP those five are IN.
2.) They don't have much to say about the other classes.
3.) F/W/C/R are staples, warlock is new. Hence the lion's share of attention.
4.) Warlord is "too new" for a longer write up without giving away the farm.
5.) Maybe they really are going to have 5 classes. :confused:

I'd LOVE to know more about how 5 classes got big draw and the rest didn't get a pages worth (and I'd LOVE to know what's being said about druid, barbarian, swordmage, and others unmnentioned so far...)

Remathilis said:
1.) They don't have a final total, but you can bet your bottom GP those five are IN.

I think it's this one, especially since they have to have written races and Classes months ago. I'm guessing they decided to write a lot about the classes they had all agreed were going to be in the PHB, and less about those still in contention.

Kunimatyu

First Post
What Wizards is probably doing is designing more classes than they need, and the classes that hold up the best in playtest/design will be in PHB1, and the others will see another round of development for PHB2.

catsclaw227

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
What Wizards is probably doing is designing more classes than they need, and the classes that hold up the best in playtest/design will be in PHB1, and the others will see another round of development for PHB2.
This is my thought as well. And because I trust Morrus, I trust Morrus' source.

I wonder what the final three will be? (feels like waiting for season 4 of Battlestar Galactica)

Reaper Steve

Explorer
catsclaw227 said:
(feels like waiting for season 4 of Battlestar Galactica)

BSG:Razor comes on in 20 min! (PST) That' two hrs of BSG goodness that's been a long time coming (and it will hold me until the final season in a couple months!)

Rechan

Adventurer
Well, it is nice to see they're considering the Druid and the swordmage as possibilities for the PHB, maybe?

Although I expect to see the swordmage by the end of 2008 in a magic supplement.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads