D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part X: Sorcerers)

Undrave

Legend
I agree that the Stone Sorcerer in this Unearthed Arcana looks like a decent attempt. For example:

The Stone Sorcerer gets proficiency with shields, simple weapons, and martial weapons at 1st level. They also get the "Metal Magic" ability, which adds a lot of weapon-focused spells like Compelled Duel, Searing Smite, Elemental Weapon, and so forth to the Sorcerer spell list. And last but not least, they get the Stone's Durability ability. This gives them +1 hit point at 1st level, and +1 hit point per level-up. They can also use an Action to boost their AC when they're not wearing armor.

All that, at 1st level.

Then at 6th level, they get the Stone Aegis ability--an earth-based protection aura for one creature. The target takes less damage from bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, and you can teleport to the warded creature as a reaction. It's an incredibly useful buff AND movement trick. (Useful, but I wouldn't say "powerful.")

The 14th and 18th level abilities look pretty excellent, but I haven't had a chance to test them out yet. One lets you deal extra force damage equal to your sorcerer level, and the top ability lets you expand your Stone Aegis to up to 3 creatures.

The only thing missing, IMO, is the Extra Attack ability that other martial characters get. But the Stone Aegis and Metal Magic abilities maybe make up for it.

TL;DR: folks who want a "martial Sorcerer" should check out Stone Sorcery, in Unearthed Arcana, as a starting point. As far as UA content goes, it's one of the better attempts, and all it needs IMO is a bit of polish to fit your campaign. Add Extra Attack at 6th level, and give them an ASI at 10th level, maybe?
Maybe a melee attack cantrip? What's the Druid one... Savage something or other?

niklinna

satisfied?
I see that GMBinder and HomeBrewery work as well as ever with Firefox! I was able to see much of the text, though. Interesting takes.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Primal Savagery (from Xanathar) is the one I was thinking of. I think it would be cool to have one where your limbs become stone and you strike enemy with them. Really thematic for a Stone Sorcerer and it would scale better.
And adding a druid cantrip to the list of spells already being added seems like a very easy, low-impact change.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I see that GMBinder and HomeBrewery work as well as ever with Firefox! I was able to see much of the text, though. Interesting takes.
Apologies! You can also download the Tweaked Sorcerer here:
It does not appear that the Arcane Lineage is around in pdf.

niklinna

satisfied?
I just finished reading. There's a lot of really juicy stuff in there, makes most of the official subclasses look pretty bland. Some of it seems a bit powerful on first read, but not horribly so, and considering some of the subclasses in Tasha's, well!

Remove ads