D&D 5E Companion Thread to 5E Survivor - Weapons

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Maybe it's time D&D brought back 3e's damage values for weapons wielded by Small PCs and by Medium PCs? ;)
i have no idea what that actually entails but the way that you're suggesting it makes me think it might of not actually been a very good mechanic.

i have no idea what that actually entails but the way that you're suggesting it makes me think it might of not actually been a very good mechanic.
In 3e and in PF1, a 1d8 longsword meant for a size Medium character such as a Human was treated as a two-handed weapon by a size Small character. A longsword meant for a Small size character was a 1d6 weapon. 5e has it where a longsword will deal 1d8 regardless of its' wielder's size.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
how would people make the light and heavy weapon properties actually interesting? to me they only seem to exist to facilitate the TWF style, the GWM feat and preventing small species from using the better STR weapons?

heavy i'd probably just convert to a STR requirement like what heavy armours have, i realise it's meant to be more of a restriction than a boon but this version affects everyone fairly.

light i think would be interesting if it provided adittional attacks when you're wielding it based on your base number of attacks, death of a thousand cuts sorta thing for 'weaker' weapons, with 1-2 attacks you get +1 attack and 3-4 you get +2, so a fighter with four attacks using two weapon fighting would be able to make a total of 8 attacks in a turn! (4 from the attack action, +2 from light, 1 from the offhand attack and +1 from light on the offhand)
edit: actually the additional attack on the offhand might be pushing it just a little, especially at lower levels.

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
how would people make the light and heavy weapon properties actually interesting? to me they only seem to exist to facilitate the TWF style, the GWM feat and preventing small species from using the better STR weapons?

heavy i'd probably just convert to a STR requirement like what heavy armours have, i realise it's meant to be more of a restriction than a boon but this version affects everyone fairly.

light i think would be interesting if it provided additional attacks when you're wielding it based on your base number of attacks, death of a thousand cuts sorta thing for 'weaker' weapons, with 1-2 attacks you get +1 attack and 3-4 you get +2, so a fighter with four attacks using two weapon fighting would be able to make a total of 8 attacks in a turn! (4 from the attack action, +2 from light, 1 from the offhand attack and +1 from light on the offhand)
edit: actually the additional attack on the offhand might be pushing it just a little, especially at lower levels.
This is an area where a lot of homebrew I've seen adds a lot of complication, the light vs. heavy area. And adding extra attacks has the potential of upsetting the action economy. From a game mechanic standpoint, I think the idea was the separate the weapons into less-damaging Light weapons that have extra options (Finesse, Thrown, etc.) and more-punishing Heavy weapons that have extra drawbacks (usually Two-Handed). In 3.5 you had a feat, Monkey Hands or something, that let Small characters use Heavy weapons; having something like this in 5E would go a long way to reducing the disparity, but it's not enough oomf for a feat in 5E.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Just about exactly a month in, and (almost exactly) half the points have been eliminated from the board. So expect this one to wrap up sometime in mid to late June! I say "mid" mostly because things getting down to the final handful of options tends to draw out the vultures.

Aldarc

Legend
It's pointy stick. It's boring compared to just about everything else on the list
No way! It’s one of the most enduring, effective, and yet underrated weapons of human civilization and warfare! Moreover it’s the weapon of the common man! That’s what makes spears so great.

Remove ads