Considering a Clone Wars SAGA game

Insight

Adventurer
Finally reunited with my books. :)

Unfortunately lightsabres use STR as well, since they are listed in the description of "Weapon Finesse" :(

I must have been thinking about a house rule. So now Jedi need 4 decent ability scores to be any good. Sheesh. Or take Weapon Finesse. Pretty ridiculous considering a lightsaber weighs about as much as a flashlight.

I might just make a regular non force user. Screw it. Feat tax, it is!

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Jedi are surprisingly not MAD, actually. Well, there are three stats you need to power up if you want to dominate, but that keeps it fairly simple.

Dex: is used for so much in SAGA it's not funny. Every class needs it. All combat is ranged, and Defense (AC) is based on DEX. Add to that piloting for ships, and this stat is a must.
That Jedi use it for lightsabres through weapon finesse is actually a gift. Consider that lightsabres can deflect blaster shots *and* carve through objects ignoring hardness, they're a heck of a utility gadget. The damage from a high STR isn't the issue; it's nice, but no big deal. It's even more of a hassle to use STR, as then you're lowering your DEX use for pilot, defense, and ranged attacks.

Wisdom: your range of jedi powers, if I recall. handy, but doesn't have to be too big. Consider that when you get force training, and bump up your wisdom another modifier slot, you get a pile more powers. it adds up fast, so you can do a lot with even just a +1 or +2 modifier.

Charisma: the other Jedi power score. If you have a high Cha, and the Deflect and Block talents for your lightsabre, you're really hard to hit in combat. Use the Force is an incredibly versatile skill that just gets better, and it's Cha-based. Not only can you get through many social situations, you're also unhittable in combat; and you get successes on skills like jump and pilot and other force-related things. Want to slam someone with a ship? Charisma.

Int: can be good, but don't forget that you can make up for particular skills with Use the Force. Human Jedi get that bonus feat to cover the cost of Weapon Finesse, and they get a bonus skill, meaning INT is even less important (sadly).

Str: a trap, when you consider how many other things DEX is used for.

Con: okay, good for HP, so I'd put it fourth on your list for stats.

Finally: I'm basing the game on the assumption that 10 is the average human level for anything. I could be STR 10. If I'm even Dex 10 I'll be happy. Charisma 10 means you have the average number of friends expected, people look at you as a normal person. There's no modifier on it because it's a straight roll. If you can do this in RL, you should be fine with a 10.

That said, if you've got a DEX 17, that's fantastic. You're up there with olympic gymnasts, which is only natural: you're a hero. Can you imagine how incredible a Jedi Knight (which your skill level is almost at) must be? Ahsoka Tano, from the Clone Wars series, is only level 4. Look at what she can do: you're a level higher than she is.

Clone Trooper armour: that's fine. You're on a ship filled with them. If you can afford it, get it. If you're a Clone Trooper, you have to get it. Make sense?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Elite Squad: assuming normal humans are fairly low level, you folks are really great. You're not Yoda level, but you've got the qualities it takes to be the Arc Trooper-level characters who star in films. So no, you're not Trainees.

Even the Jedi here are good enough that they *could* go be Jedi Knights. Instead, however, they're being groomed for the type of knights everyone knows they have the potential to be. They're the kids at the top of their class in their fields every year running, that ma and pop put in charge of the soda store when they're going out of town, to watch the other kids. They get "so when are you going for your testing?" a lot.

Think X-force rather than just X-men. You've been trained harder and longer than any other group.

Equipment you'll have to run by me, however. I don't want any crazy stuff, but simple things like Clone Trooper armour I'm fine with.

fireinthedust

Explorer
I want 5 solid characters or I won't run the game. Max 7. If we start and I lose players and so have fewer than 4, I'll wrap up the adventure and call it a day.

Though I'll hope to wrap up the scenario; I can't promise survival, as I'm making the encounters now (IE: not tailored to your characters; well, maybe assuming we'll have a Jedi). If the Jedi leave, the Sith will still be there ready to fight the party. If the pilot dies, the ship still needs a driver, and the asteroid belt you're in is still there. DCs are set. Rooms are there. There is a Gundar chained in from of the Hutt's death ray controls. etc. (note: none of the above examples are from the scenario, they're illustrative of what *could* be in it, or not, or differently so, etc.)

I will finish this recruitment in 5 days. If I don't get 5 characters, we don't play.

grufflehead

First Post
OK, given that I've only seen 4 committed responses, and it would be a shame for this to not get going, I'll throw a hat roughly in your direction.

Reasons for not letting me in:

- I slunk away from your last game like a big, fat baby. Waaaaaaah!
- I've been bitching and moaning to anyone who will listen about how much I've gone off D20 and this seems to be D20 based
- While I've watched all the movies, other than the obligatory man-crush on Princess Leia (when I was young enough to have known better) I've never read/watched/written about/pretended to be a character from the Star Wars universe
- I've only ever played about 3 sessions of SAGA edition, and I don't own any of the books
- Er, isn't that enough? :)

Reasons for considering me:
- Books I can borrow; somebody I know must have them
- There are no Su...Su..., no I can't bring myself to say the word in SAGA, ergo I'm less likely to go into an splenetic and irrational rant
- If Insight and I get into another sci-fi game together, I'll be getting down on one knee with a ring (wait, maybe that should have gone in the first list...)
- Of the four ideas I've seen pitched, there's lots of manly testosterone, bro, but that's about all. What this group needs is a shifty droid who'll steal the hubcaps off your speeder as soon as look at you, then convince you otherwise. Can't shoot your way out of everything, boys (well, maybe you can, but where's the fun in that!?)
- You've stopped reading, haven't you?

So, I'll be your fifth (assuming said droid is acceptable) and I promise, on pain of being force gripped in the nads, not to leave this time.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Grufflehead: sounds fine to me. Stats are the same, and you'll need to follow the Droid PC rules as best you can. What model are you thinking? And, most importantly, what's your rationalization for killing the droid army?

I recommend you watch the clone wars TV show, however. I will be drawing heavily on it throughout the story. In fact...

1) watch Attack of the Clones (skip Phantom Menace, as it sucked; only Darth Maul happened).
2) Watch the Clone Wars movie, and the series.
3) Watch Revenge of the Sith. You can do this before the show, as it doesn't change anything, and everyone already watched it before they started the series.

also: surprisingly, the reason you left solved itself. Oddly. We're almost done that game.

Also also: heh, if I advertise one more SAGA game with Insight playing, I'm in the same boat. :D

possum

First Post
[sblock=99% Finished Character Sheet]
Alpha-45 "Chase"

Male cloned Human (Jango Fett template) Soldier 5

Destiny Destruction 5; Force 7; Dark Side 0
Init +10; Senses Perception +7
Languages Basic
Defenses Ref 22 (10 base +5 level +3 armor +1 class +3 ability) Fort 19 (5 level, 1 armor, 2 class, 1 ability) Will 15 (5 level)
HP 55/55; Threshold 19
Speed 6 squares
Melee Unarmed +7 1d6+4 dmg
or
Ranged DC-15 Blaster Rifle +8 3d8+2 dmg
or
Ranged DC-15 Blaster Rifle +6 4d8+2 dmg (Rapid Shot)
or
Ranged DC-15 Blaster Rifle +9 3d8+2 dmg (Point Blank Shot)
or
Ranged DC-15 Blaster Rifle +7 4d8+2 dmg (Point Blank Shot & Rapid Shot)
Base Atk +5; Grp +6
Atk Options Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot
Special Actions Quick Draw
Abilities Str 14 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 15 Wis 10 Cha 10
Talents Armored Defense, Battle Analysis, Improved Armor Defense
Feats Armor Prof. (Light, Medium), Martial Arts I, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Rapid Shot, Weapon Prof. (simple, pistols, rifles)
Skills Climb +9, Initiative +10, Knowledge (Tactics) +9, Perception +7
Possessions DC-15 blaster rifle, comlink, Phase 1 clone trooper armor, kama.[/sblock]

Remove ads