Considering a Clone Wars SAGA game

fireinthedust

Explorer
This is to gauge interest in a Clone Wars SAGA edition Star Wars game. I've got the books, may as well use them! And I've had a campaign idea for some time, and no group to play in RL with.

The plot: you would be one member of an elite squad of special ops working for the Republic. You could be Jedi, Clone troopers, Bounty hunters (misc), or Nobles. Regardless, your group gets tough assignments most clone units can't handle alone, and you've got a wide range of expertise. If you were in the 1980s you'd be the A-team meets GIJoe, but with Jedi and Star Wars tropes.

You work under a General, a Jedi Master; and you have access to vehicles, ships and squads of clone troopers when needed, and can even lead them into battle. You also have access to the available resources of the cruiser you're on.

I think I'd like to start at level 3 or so, and move forward from there. Between adventures, time and XP could happen; but the action might flow really fast between them, with one leading immediately into another with no break. I don't know. I'd like to focus on particular missions during the group's career, throw some wrenches into the group's expectations, and see what we can come up with.

I don't want to lead the group through every encounter. I don't want players to feel like this is the GM show, but that they have things to do here as well.

What do you think?

Songdragon

Explorer
fireinthedust... Sounds most interesting. I would be up to joining in this.

As to what I would want to play... I do have a gunslinger idea that I have been interested in. Not sure how much that would fit into a militarily minded group. Especially if I used the most recent gungan version. Not really interested in a jedi... Currently playing a force user (here on forums), that is fun.

What are you considering for character creation? Any house rules or alternative rules that you will be using? Also, what kind of posting are you looking at?

I will think on a few concepts and post back later in the day.

fireinthedust

Explorer
So...if we play a Jedi, are we doomed to die at the end? :)

You mean Order 66? Well, most Jedi did die, but others were hunted down later by the Empire, and still others survived in hiding; which you know. So no, you won't be auto-killed by me if Order 66 does come up. I might end the adventure, then start a new adventure thread to see if folks want to continue on from that point; or ask what their character would do. Then break out the Dark Times book I have...

this is pbp, however, and my current 5-room dungeon game has been going for several months and we're only now at the end. I have low hopes that pbp games will last; the best one I've ever seen had other players abandon the GM even after bonding, even at the last encounter of the game, in a way that stil baffles me. The GM then left the boards, and I wish him well. My game, oddly, is surviving, and is nowhere near as much pure fun as that one, so you never know.

Jedi: no force wizards. They're boring to GM. I really want lightsabre battles with Sith, with some Force powers; but I had a wizard in the last game I tried to run pick up and pin the giant robot I'd attacked the group with, which kinda broke the game. Ugh. I do enjoy making up Darksiders, though, and I'd like to try out a Jedi battle at some point.

Gunslingers: Um, would he be recruited by the Republic? Then let's talk.

Insight

Adventurer
Jedi: no force wizards. They're boring to GM. I really want lightsabre battles with Sith, with some Force powers; but I had a wizard in the last game I tried to run pick up and pin the giant robot I'd attacked the group with, which kinda broke the game. Ugh. I do enjoy making up Darksiders, though, and I'd like to try out a Jedi battle at some point.

I'd like to submit an idea for a Jedi who's primarily a lightsaber duelist. The Jedi is most talented with swordplay, which didn't sit well with the passivist Jedi Masters at the academy. With all hell breaking loose in the Republic, the duelist Jedi now sees an opportunity to use his or her talents to their utmost. The Jedi character sees joining a Republic strike force as a way to get into the heat of battle, rather than staying back and waiting for things to happen.

Padreigh

First Post
I would also like to get a chance to try out SAGA. Got loads of the books at home, but never had a chance to try it out. :)

But I wouldn't be able to come up with a character before Monday (my books and I are currently about 800 km apart).

Rainmar

First Post
If there is a free place left I would be happy to join.:)

My idea is a Republic Commando with emphasis in stealth, disabling electronics and long range sharp shooting. Infiltration unit :)

fireinthedust

Explorer
Sounds great to me.

What do we think of levels? I'd like to get a handle on the level of the game. For my PF games I play E6 (ie: you level up to 6 and then get a feat at every 5000xp instead of levelling further); the idea is that they're within the realm of human achievement. I don't scale DCs to the characters, I scale to the situation.

For PF and 3e, 6 is Epic level. Aragorn might be 6th, ditto the knights of the round table.

However: what is the average human capacity in SAGA? I think it assumes the droids and clones are far lower in level than the Jedi; knights are at least 7th level, same thing with Bounty Hunters.

Your thoughts? we'll be playing together for several months, so let's start tlaking and thinking about it. I will be scaling challenges to you, and I don't take it easy: common sense and problem solving are likely a part of the game, as well as tactics and adventure. I don't make impossible scenarios, but they might not seem that way while in there.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Rainmar: sounds great, let's see some ideas. Are we thinking Clone trooper, or a non-clone military type?

Insight: brilliant. There is a Jedi sub-culture of like-minded knights and masters who really like their swordplay; various forms and schools of such. Perhaps your Jedi has a friendly rivalry or three?

Remove ads