D&D 5E Considering the D&D Next Playtest in Light of the WotC Seminars

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Personally, I expect to see "DCs" for commonly attempted tasks. So a shoddy door might be an automatic success with Str 10, while a solid oak door is only automatic with Str 16 (or whatever). If they give us an assortment of good guidelines, we can have the best of both worlds. DMs have a bit of guidance when setting "DCs", which offers a reasonable basis of expectations regardless of whose table you sit at. Simultaneously, because they can't possibly cover every scenario, DMs will still be able to exercise their own discretion in determining those "DCs" (such as for a solid oak door of shoddy design).

Yes. Last year in the L&L series, did we not get, more than once, and from both Mike and Monte, that part of the art of game design and something that would be central moving foward, is finding when to provide relatively firm rulings, versus when to leave it up to judgment? That implies a range. Or did I just dream all that? :D

Consonant Dude

First Post
As for the rest of what's being discussed... if a first level character with full hit points can die from a single critical hit, that will be a deal breaker. I'm basically just treading water until I see that officially confirmed (one playtester confirmed it, but I'm hopeful that the designers aren't fools). If you design a game that (1) encourages deeply investing in characters with personality and back story, and (2) you make that game so that characters, played properly, will engage in combat with some regularity, and (3) you make that game so that dead characters can't be easily resurrected... then if you make it so that totally random events during inevitable gameplay moments can kill off a fully healthy character who was played without mistakes, you've designed a bad game. End. Of. Debate. If people like this sort of thing, their opinions are wrong.

Eeewww... what a weird and drastic way to see things. If having other preferences than yours is wrong as you claim, then maybe I don't want to be right after all.

If you're into such nonsense as "deeply investing" into a starting 1st level characters and "not dying unless you make a mistake", whatever that means, maybe you shouldn't play first level characters in an adventure game where chance is part of the mechanics.

Start campaigns at 3rd and play a diplomat, stay in town and hire bodyguards.

Or even better: play Nobilis.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
You guys haven't even touched the main reason why "smacked dead at 1st level is likely, but you'll grow out of it if you live," is a bad idea as a base:

The people that don't like that style don't want to play that way, but they can always start at 3rd or 5th or whatever. It's annoying, but not a huge problem. OTOH, some people want that style to last a heck of a lot longer than 3rd or 5th. You don't want to cut out 75%+ of the game for them. Sure, if you are hitting 10th or 15th or whatever and then escaping the lethalness, that is the same deal as with the other crowd skipping the early levels to avoid it early. But now we are just quibbling on scaling so that both groups can be equally "meh" in the middle levels.

Ideally, "lethalness" would be something that you deliberately pick, and would apply more or less equally at any level, unless you consciously choose to change it. Sure, in those settings, include a few that make sense, and produce the old standby of "1000 dog meat farm boys and girls can produce a few demi-gods." However, don't make that the base and expect anyone else to be happy.

Edit: Surely my group is not the only one that enjoys switching lethalness around between campaigns, instead of having it enforced upon us by progression in power?

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
Point the First: Hit Points scale faster than damage does. Especially for a fighter. By 3rd or 4th level, a nasty crit can hurt, but likely won't kill you. This is a feature, not a bug.

Isn't that an assumption, or do you know something that I don't? Because for all I know, every class and monster gain +1 hp and +1 damage every level after first (not that I think that likely).

I mentioned further down in the post you quoted that there were a number of things I didn't know which would factor into this discussion, such as whether 1st level characters are notably more prone to death than 3rd level characters.

As to whether it is a feature or a bug, that depends largely on personal preference. If my DM insists we start at level 1 (let's assume this is high lethality), but I prefer characters with deep backstories that I spend a week developing, then random instant character death is most certainly a bug, and not a feature.

Point the Second: To paraphrase Patton, the goal of combat is not to get hit for your team, its to make the other poor sucker get hit for his.

That works a lot better in real life than in D&D. Unless you're suggesting that melee combat go the way of the dodo, this is much easier to say than to actually implement.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
If you're into such nonsense as "deeply investing" into a starting 1st level characters and "not dying unless you make a mistake"...

Wouldn't it count as a "mistake" to fight the monster that's tough enough to kill you with one shot?

In other words, if you're that worried about it, play a coward. It's not the game designer's fault if it's possible to have a monster kill you with a crit. It's yours for choosing to fight it (or your DM's for throwing it at you if he knows you're the kind of player who will allow it to ruin your fun.)

It's very likely the playtest example was a monster that obviously posed a strong threat - and therefore getting killed by it has to count as a "mistake" by the player, assuming the player didn't find it fun to risk the possibility of death (personally, I'd have more fun that way, myself).

samursus

Explorer
My 2 cp:

First of all, I get that there are many different things that players of D&D want from their D&D.

The whole point of DDN seems to be to try and hit a sweet spot where as many of these varied desires can be realized in one ruleset as possible.

This why I agree with Cadfan that having a system with one-hit kills doesn't make sense. The objection (in my case) is not that 1st level characters should "not die unless you make a mistake" so much as you shouldn't die in a part of the game that is assumed to be a large part of play, from 1 roll of the dice... and not even your own roll.

Really, D&D is assumed to be a persistent game, with characters possibly reaching level 20 or higher.

Like any game, I think most Players like to believe they have very good chance to "win"... in this case... play their character with their friends on many adventures. I don't think death is an issue for most, but unavoidable random death of a character at full health is poor design, for the baseline D&D game.

Remember that most MMORPGS are based off of D&D; and they attracts HUGE player bases, and as much, one can assume that the successful design elements in those GAMES reflect what a majority want. Unless you wander outside the sandbox elements you are NEVER one-shotted. You can die easily if you make bad decisions... or over an extended battle...

I know D&D isn't an MMO, and the players are not necessarily the same group, but I think a certain amount of gamer preference can be ported over. Yes, some prefer a lethal game, but I honestly feel that they are a small minority, and therefore their preferences should not be the baseline.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Despite previous statements, I'm not terribly bothered by relatively high lethalness in a convention game, using a set of prototype rules. I'd expect that outcome more than not. The rules aren't finished, and you've only got so much time to make people sweat? Sounds like a recipe for character death to me.

Fanaelialae

Legend
You guys haven't even touched the main reason why "smacked dead at 1st level is likely, but you'll grow out of it if you live," is a bad idea as a base:

The people that don't like that style don't want to play that way, but they can always start at 3rd or 5th or whatever. It's annoying, but not a huge problem. OTOH, some people want that style to last a heck of a lot longer than 3rd or 5th. You don't want to cut out 75%+ of the game for them. Sure, if you are hitting 10th or 15th or whatever and then escaping the lethalness, that is the same deal as with the other crowd skipping the early levels to avoid it early. But now we are just quibbling on scaling so that both groups can be equally "meh" in the middle levels.

Ideally, "lethalness" would be something that you deliberately pick, and would apply more or less equally at any level, unless you consciously choose to change it. Sure, in those settings, include a few that make sense, and produce the old standby of "1000 dog meat farm boys and girls can produce a few demi-gods." However, don't make that the base and expect anyone else to be happy.

Edit: Surely my group is not the only one that enjoys switching lethalness around between campaigns, instead of having it enforced upon us by progression in power?

I think it's tricky. Different groups want different curves of lethality (while others prefer linear lethality) and it will be difficult to cater to the variety of preferences.

I do agree that being able to pick your lethality, and how it changes, would be ideal. Linear progressions shouldn't even be too difficult to accomplish in this respect. PCs get X hp if high lethality, 2X if moderate, and 3X if low.

Making it curve, on the other hand, would be a little tricky. Lets assume that 10 hp + 1/level is high lethality, while 20 hp + 2/level is moderate lethality. If you want PCs to start in a high lethality campaign but shift to moderate lethality by level 5, you can't just change them to +2 hp/level at level 5. You'd have to grant +5 hp/level for levels 2-5, and +2 hp thereafter. It's a bit inelegant, because you change how many hp you gain. While it's certainly feasible, but I don't know... it seems to me as though it may be too clunky to actually implement (outside a house rule).

Starting with a curve and offering rules to make that linear seems like it would be no less inelegant.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Making it curve, on the other hand, would be a little tricky. Lets assume that 10 hp + 1/level is high lethality, while 20 hp + 2/level is moderate lethality. If you want PCs to start in a high lethality campaign but shift to moderate lethality by level 5, you can't just change them to +2 hp/level at level 5. You'd have to grant +5 hp/level for levels 2-5, and +2 hp thereafter. It's a bit inelegant, because you change how many hp you gain. While it's certainly feasible, but I don't know... it seems to me as though it may be too clunky to actually implement (outside a house rule).

Well, it isn't easy as pie, but I don't think it is as bad as all that. For one thing, you can do it in more ways than merely changing the hit point/expected damage ratio directly:

RC weapon mastery style, a bit of a genre emulation method - throw in some parries and other such active defenses that are practically non-existent at low levels, but get better as you go.

Indie metagaming - those "fate" points start at zero but go up steadily as you level.

Magic will do it, kind of a mid to high fantasy trope - provide a few extra spell options at higher levels that can really cut out the danger for a time.

The old standby, magic items - get more generous with damage mitigation items.

Naturally, all of those can also be set on a more steady scale, whether you want a lot of lethalness or not.

The more consistent lethalness is in the base, the easier it is to make all those flexible. Maybe some people want "moderate lethal" at a given point, then you get the right spells to hold it off, and when you run out of those spells on a particular high level adventure, you are just as much at risk as you were at 1st level.

Consonant Dude

First Post

I dunno. Lethality is a matter of many factors. It's not just about character level and mechanics but what a DM throws at players and how they react. Some players will jump headfirst in the worse danger no matter what edition.

A "lethality dial" is hard to devise. I think FATE points could work but nobody seems to care for them around here. I think past 3rd level, most editions of DnD are past dumb deaths but if I don't scale opposition appropriately or my players insist on charging a bunch of hill giants, there's not much I can do.

I would like to see 1st level as "baseline average person" (0=level is inelegant at best). 2nd level as above average. Starting at 3rd level, you're a fledgling hero and should be above unheroic deaths. Doesn't sound too drastic, IMO.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases