• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from D&D Official Video Games

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
Sounds good to me. I updated the statistics.

Is the description what you had in mind?

Should we limit it to the rate it can produce bone arrows, similar to the breath weapon recharage interval for dragons?

For feats, how about Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot?
For the description, you forgot the mouth, but other than that it sounds good.

Bone arrows: No need to limit it...

Feats: Sounds good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good catch on the lack of mouth. I've updated the description, and added the feats.

For the bone arrow damage, shall we go with 1d6 like a shortbow? Should we give them x3 critical like a true arrow? For bite, 1d4?

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
Good catch on the lack of mouth. I've updated the description, and added the feats.

For the bone arrow damage, shall we go with 1d6 like a shortbow? Should we give them x3 critical like a true arrow? For bite, 1d4?
Yes, yes, and yes. :D

As for the skills: Listen +6, Search +6, Spot +6, and survival +6 (before ability mods and racial bonuses)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like your skill selections, so I updated it with them and the damage we discussed. All that's left is the CR.

CR 2-3? The seeker is CR 4, and is significantly more effective for the same HD.

Shade

Monster Junkie
CR 3 it is, and we're done.

I'd like to do the velithuu next, but what would you like to see after that? I'm going to have to fire up BG2 to get the stats for the velithuu, so another BG2 or TOB selection would be great. However, if you'd really like to see something from another game, I'm flexible. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
OK, I found time to fire up BG2 and get the stats for the velithuu. These guys are powerful!

Here are the game stats:
AC -9, HP 80
Str 18, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 25
3 attacks/round, either with shocking shortbow or longspear
Immunity to fire, electricity, and poison
Magic resistance 50%, cold resistance 50%
Spells: call lightning, miscast magic, cause serious wounds

Compare to the game stats for a pit fiend:
AC -8, HP 100
Str 18/00, Dex 17, Con 9, Int 9, Wis 16, Cha 25

So it looks like they should have better Dex and AC than a pit fiend. I'm disregarding the Con and Int for the pit fiend, as they appear to be an anomaly for that game. They should be close with mental stats to a pit fiend.

Krishnath, what HD would you suggest? You had a good formula for the beholderkin which may apply here as well.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmm...we'll have to bump them up a bit. I neglected to state that they were tougher (hit point-wise) than cornugons in the game. So we need to place them between a cornugon (15 HD) and a pit fiend (18 HD).

They had serpentine tails with humanoid torsos, a pair of antlers (like those of an antelope), and spines protruding from their back. They used the animation for a salamander, but were greenish-gray instead of reddish-orange.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads