• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from D&D Official Video Games

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
Updated with what we discussed.

What should we use for tail slap damage? Mariliths do 4d6, noble salamanders do 2d8, both are the same size as velithuu.

Treasure: Standard coins; double goods; standard items, plus +2 shocking burst shortbow?

Advancement: 17-32 HD (Large); 33-48 HD (Huge) [similar to pit fiend], or 17–20 HD (Large); 21–48 HD (Huge) [similar to marilith], or something else?

CR 17?
Tail slap 3d8,
Treasure: I agree.
Advacement: 17-24 (Large); 25-48 (Huge).
CR: 17 sounds about right.

Shade

Monster Junkie
For feats, how about Combat Reflexes, Multiattack, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot?

Suggested skill ranks: Bluff 19, Concentration 19, Hide 19, Intimidate 19, Listen 19, Knowledge (the planes) 19, Move Silently 19, Search 19, Sense Motive 19, Spot 19, Tumble 19 (It seems like many devils take only ability modifiers and synergy bonuses in Diplomacy and Survival).

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
For feats, how about Combat Reflexes, Multiattack, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot?

Suggested skill ranks: Bluff 19, Concentration 19, Hide 19, Intimidate 19, Listen 19, Knowledge (the planes) 19, Move Silently 19, Search 19, Sense Motive 19, Spot 19, Tumble 19 (It seems like many devils take only ability modifiers and synergy bonuses in Diplomacy and Survival).
Feats: Sounds good.

Skills: If you want them to be more of the type of "classical" devil that makes deals with mortals for their souls, I suggest giving it Diplomacy in place of Tumble. If not, the skills are good as is.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm swapping Multiattack for Manyshot. This way, they can fire a volley of arrows as a standard action while closing in to melee range. Besides, they only have two separate melee attacks, so they don't even meet the prerequisites of three natural attacks. ;)

I decided to stick with Tumble for a couple of reasons. First, they seem more like a straightforward combatant than a beguiler, but the main reason is that it is more in line with the other top devils. They already have a higher Diplomacy modifier than pit fiends!

I'm actually suprised, and a bit disappointed, that devils overall don't have higher Diplomacy scores. Demons have much higher scores, and this just seems backwards.

It looks like all that's left is to figure out the area of their frightful presence attack, and then I think we're finished.

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
I'm swapping Multiattack for Manyshot. This way, they can fire a volley of arrows as a standard action while closing in to melee range. Besides, they only have two separate melee attacks, so they don't even meet the prerequisites of three natural attacks. ;)

I decided to stick with Tumble for a couple of reasons. First, they seem more like a straightforward combatant than a beguiler, but the main reason is that it is more in line with the other top devils. They already have a higher Diplomacy modifier than pit fiends!

I'm actually suprised, and a bit disappointed, that devils overall don't have higher Diplomacy scores. Demons have much higher scores, and this just seems backwards.

It looks like all that's left is to figure out the area of their frightful presence attack, and then I think we're finished.
Sounds good, I agree, and 60', NEXT! :p

Shade

Monster Junkie
OK, then we've got Belhifet up next. I'll need to fire up IWD and get his stats, etc., when I get a chance.

BTW, does Belhifet appear in IWD2? I haven't gotten very far in it, so if he is I haven't seen him yet.

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
OK, then we've got Belhifet up next. I'll need to fire up IWD and get his stats, etc., when I get a chance.

BTW, does Belhifet appear in IWD2? I haven't gotten very far in it, so if he is I haven't seen him yet.
Don't know, haven't played it, but I would be surprised if he didn't, he was the main badguy in the first game, even though the Dracolich in Heart of Winter was badass.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I haven't abandoned, or forgotten, this thread. I've been very busy with the birth of my new daughter. Additionally, I realize I need to reinstall Icewind Dale before I can get the stats for the next critter. So hang in there, and I'll get this thread going again when I get a chance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads