• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Curse of Strahd - Death House

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Fine with a short rest (can't go back and check, but I think we've not had one? I don't know if I've spent my hit die or not. If any of you are willing to serve as my external memory, I'd be grateful.)

Yavathol

Explorer
Wergil drinks heavily from the decanter, before following Girri back into the room and offering it around to anyone else that seems interested.

OOC: Short rest with a nice serenade gets my vote! I always forget that ability when I play a bard:)

Girri stood back when Mr. Aldershot sat bolt upright and struggled to find words. She shook her head no when he mentioned her being hurt. "Not hurt, no. Just...dreaming. I think. Or sleeping." She shook her head some more, confused. "I can't be sure." She refocused on Mr. Aldershot. "You're still injured. Here, let me." She softened her eyes and approached, a gentle hand extended. This, she laid on his forehead. Her thumb traced the bridge of halfling's nose, then each temple. All the while she hummed a soft song, an old melody without words taught to her by Mother Crone of Bent Trace Futurities. The song was lilting and quiet, and sounded as if it might be intended to lull to sleep.

OOC: Are we still level 2? Short rest, and Girri will do Song of Rest to restore an additional [roll0] hp to all who can hear her hum. She purposely won't sing or play loudly, and will hum only--that way only present company and no foes get the benefit of her Song. The tidbit with her hand on Aldershot's forehead, nose, and temples is just gravy--something my yoga instructor does for students at the end of each session. It's divine, utterly relaxing.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: Mr Aldershot's Dharma is aligned, or something. Thanks. We're still level 1, and this puts everyone within a few points of full.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kasimir

Kasimir nodded to Girri when she came up the stairs. His expression was solemn as she moved into the room to tend to Mr Aldershot.

"You've a good sense of timing, Girri. I don't know what that thing did to Mr Aldershot but it stuck its hand right through Wergil's chest. Might want to look him over, if you can."

He turned away and glared at the nursery door. Mr Aldershot's strange words when he was barely conscious... Kasimir wasn't sure what to think of it. However, he didn't need much encouragement from Wergil to check out the nursery. He stepped up to the entrance and pushed the door open. His grip tightened on his sword.

[sblock=OOC]Kasimir's doing alright but I dislike seeing Wergil's hp maxed at 8. Maybe we should long rest.[/sblock]
[sblock=Kasimir's Stats]
CG Variant Human Barbarian 1
Init +1; Senses passive Perception 13
AC 13/14 (Unarmored Defense/Dual Wield); hp 14 (1d12+2)
Saves Strength +5, Constitution +4
Speed 30 ft

Str 16 (+3), Dex 13 (+1), Con 15 (+2), Int 8 (-1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10

Actions
Longsword +5 1d8+3 slashing
(bonus) Dual Wield - Handaxe +5 1d6 slashing
(bonus) Rage 2/2
Javelin +5 1d6+3 piercing; range (30/120)

Feats Dual Wielder
Skills Athletics +5, Intimidate +2, Perception +3, Stealth +3, Survival +3
Languages Common, Abyssal, Orc
Special Wanderer

Gear longsword, handaxe (x2), explorer’s pack, javelin (x4), staff, hunting trap (bear trap), trophy (wolf skin cloak), traveler’s clothes, belt pouch, wooden flute, 8 gp

Wild I rush in, where angels fear to tread. (Trait)
Rebel Your manners, your titles; they mean nothing when the dark comes for you. (Trait)
Abnegation Labourdine honor may be lost, but no else will fall to its curse while I still draw breath. (Ideal)
Outcast I let no one close. (Bond)
Secret I crave and fear the wild power of the Labourdine curse. (Flaw)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Girri turned to Wergil. "You're hurt? And what does Kasimir mean, 'stuck its hand right through' your chest? That's not possible!" She eyed Wergil with suspicion. "What sort of thing did that?"

OOC: Long rest is okay by me. Let's just do it, get it done, and not wiffle waffle over the decision any longer. So long as the DM is okay with us long resting right after short resting (or we could just say that everything that just happened happened during a long rest and not a short rest), I'm on board.
[MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION], we're taking a long rest. Let us know if we got the benefit of Song of Rest or not.

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
GM: Take a long rest, and gain all the benefits of such. No short rest, and nobody gets the benefit of Song of Rest since it is a second level bard ability and you're all still first level for the time being.

The caveat: A character regains all lost hit points at the end of a long rest (PHB 186). A condition of Wergil's failed save is that his hit point maximum returns to normal after the creature finishes a long rest (MM 279: Life Drain. In my interpretation, it is the spirit of the rules that suggest Wergil would be fully healed at the end of his long rest (to his adjusted maximum of 8hp), and after all is said and done his hp maximum would return to the normal 15, thus leaving him down by 7 hit points. I'm perfectly willing to accept that I may be misunderstanding this, and will be happy to hash it out in the OOC if anyone feels it necessary.

Yavathol

Explorer

"Ugh," Wergil grunted as he stood up from where he had rested, feeling somewhat better, though still far from normal. "Lets crack on and clear this floor, then I'm curious to see what is upstairs in that hidden passage!"

He grabbed his belongings and loosened his rapier in its sheath. Now with a few more signs of wear than yesterday, it hadn't needed cleaning during his watch, and he wondered if this place held any foes within which would actually bleed when he faced them! One way to find out, he sucked his teeth, as he glanced over at his companions expectantly.

[sblock=status]Wergil hp 8/15
Str +0(+2 Saves) Dex +3, Con +3(+5 Saves), Int -1, Wis +0, Cha +0
Athletics +2, History +1, Perception +2, Persuasion +2, Survival +2
AC 18
Inspiration no
Rages 2/2
HD: 1/1
http://www.enworld.org/forum/group.php?discussionid=1427
[/sblock]

"Right," said Girri, yawning and stretching. She'd slept during the rest, curled in a small ball, at Kasimir's feet--not unlike a cat. For once, sleep had come easy; it was warm inside the house, and even though there were things here that spooked the mind and chilled the spine, it beat huddling in the raw elements beneath Waterdhavian wharves. Girri let one or two of the others go in front of her. She didn't care to be first, but neither did she feel safe bringing up the rear. She stuck to the middle, her colorful scarf dangling in one hand.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Shall we stick together more now?" asks Mr. Aldershot. "Be a bit more systematic about things? I'd be reluctant to run into another one of ... those." He points to the room from which the spectre came, and proposes that it be the first place they investigate.

Remove ads