• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Custom divine abilities, portfolios, etc.

paradox42

First Post
Great stuff guys! :)

Would you guys mind if I posted some of this on my website (been a bit thin on updates recently), perhaps a section on new portfolios? I'll give you all the credit of course. ;)
I also do not mind, though it's only fair to note in my case that I'm not the sole author. My gaming group came up with these, other than perhaps Concealment since that was the first time any of the players had contact with Ascension rules (I was the only one who had a copy of the book at the time that one was made). Teamwork in particular, and its special new spells, represent ideas from at least five different people simultaneously.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
For those who don't like integrated levels being at half I present the two following options.

New Divine Ability

Extra Integrated Level (Ex)
You gain an extra integrated level.
Benefit: You gain an extra integrated level in any class or prestige class you meet the prerequisites for.
Special: You can take this ability multiple times, its effects stack. Each time you take this ability you gain an additional integrated level.

New Cosmic Ability

Greater Integration (Ex)
Your integrated class levels equal your racial Hit Dice.
Benefit: Your integrated class levels equal your racial Hit Dice.

And for those looking at [School] Immunity...

A new divine ability...

[School] Immunity (Ex)
You are immune to a single school of magic.
Benefit: You are immune to a single school of magic and related effects.
Special: This divine ability can be taken twice.

According to Krusty immunity to (for example) Transmutation and related effects is equivalent to a divine ability.

This would extrapolate to other schools as well.

Necromancy and necromantic effects, etc.

But it needs a limiting factor if it isn't associated with a portfolio.

Looking at Abominations 2 seems to be fair.

Last edited:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Updated Cecaelia

Cecaelia
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 3d8 (18 hp)
Initiative: +3 (+3 Dexterity)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 30 ft.
Armor Class: 3 (+3 Dexterity), touch 13, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: Adamantine harpoon +3 melee (1d10) or Tentacle +3 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Adamantine harpoon +3 melee (1d10) and 8 tentacles -2 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with tentacle)
Special Attacks: Constrict (1d6), improved grab
Special Qualities: Amphibious, darkvision 60 ft., ink cloud, jet, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Escape Artist +15, Hide +11, Listen +4, Spot +4, Swim +10
Feats: Alertness, Skill Focus (Hide)
Environment: Warm aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Standard + adamantine harpoon
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +9

Krusty ole' salt - “It's like a man, but not a man.”
Young lad - “What do you mean?”
Krusty ole' salt - “It's has tentacles where it's legs should be.”

Cecaelia are aggressive, cannibalistic, and territorial octofolk. Their superficial similarity to merfolk suggests a distant connection that both species vehemently deny.

Cecaelia are about 4-6 ft. tall and weigh 60-260 lbs. A cecaelian's barbed tentacles reach 8-12 ft in length.

Cecaelia speak cecaelian.

Combat

An opponent can attack a cecaelia's tentacles with a sunder attempt as if they were weapons. A cecaelia's tentacles have 3 hit points (1/Hit Dice/Level) each. If a cecaelia is currently grappling a target with the tentacle that is being attacked, it usually uses another limb to make its attack of opportunity against the opponent making the sunder attempt. Severing one of a cecaelia's tentacles deals 1 point (1/10 Hit Dice/Levels) of damage to the creature. A cecaelia usually withdraws from combat if it loses four tentacles. The creature regrows severed limbs in 1d10+10 days.

Amphibious (Ex): A cecaelia can breathe both air and water equally.

Constrict (Ex): A cecaelia deals 1d6 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a cecaelia must hit an opponent of any size with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Ink Cloud (Ex): A cecaelia can emit a cloud of jet-black ink 10 feet high by 10 feet wide by 10 feet long once per minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment, which the cecaelia normally uses to escape a losing fight. All vision within the cloud is obscured.

Jet (Ex): A cecaelia can jet upward once per round as a full-round action, at a speed of 200 feet. It must move in a straight line, but does not provoke attacks of opportunity while jetting.

Skills: A cecaelia can change colors, giving it a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. A cecaelia also can squeeze and contort its body, giving it a +10 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks. A cecaelia has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Last edited:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Feel free to add my Warlock abilities if you want, U_K. (If that's allowed, with copyrights and licenses and whatnot)

This would be an excellent idea considering the popularity of the warlock. I love using those abilities myself.

Next we just had something for the Archivist =^.^=

Anyone know of a feat that lets an Archivist qualify for Wizard feats and prestige classes?

It's long overdue considering that an Archivist is essentially a divine spell casting wizard with dark lore abilities.

WOTC put out a couple gems with Archivist and Warlock and more or less left them hanging.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Another Epic Goodie

Silent [Epic] (Su)
You can perform any action silently.
Prerequisites: Dex 25, Move Silently skill at 24 ranks.
Benefits: If you succeed at a Move Silently check your action is silent.
Action Check Modifier
Noisy (e.g. melee) -20
Extremely Noisy (e.g. fireball) -30
Deafening (e.g. hellball) -40
Normal: Certain actions cannot be performed silently.

Last edited:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Revision of [School] Immunity

Although most people accept it as a given that your own spells and affects affect you normally, this may not be the case with certain gaming groups. So to clarify [School] Immunity, I have added the notation that "Your own spells and effects function normally."

I am also increasing it's limiting factor to being able to only be taken once. Thus preventing it from being abused.

Of course, this immunity stacks with immunities granted by portfolios, subtypes, templates, types, etc.

[School] Immunity (Ex)
You are immune to a single school of magic.
Benefit: You are immune to a single school of magic and related effects.
Your own spells and effects function normally.
Special: This divine ability can only be taken once.

On an unrelated note...(Gruesome isn't it?)

Arkyryys's Skeletal Extraction
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

As finger of death, except, if the target creature is slain,
it's skeleton is animated as per animate dead and
forcibly tears itself from the target creature's flesh as a
free action.

Material Component: You must swallow a black
onyx gem worth at least 25 gp per Hit Die of the
target creature. The magic of the spell turns this gem
into a worthless burned out shell.

Last edited:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Is that a Cosmic ability?

Divine actually, similar to the [School] Immunities granted by portfolios as divine abilities.

The limiting factor of course being that you can only take it once. If it were allowed more often than that I'd definitely have to make it cosmic.

Being impervious to a single school of magic was already defined by you as being divine.

...oh and nice to see you again dante mate! ;)

Nice to be back, I've been a bit busy lately. How's the Nosferatu coming?

I'm still looking forward to that. :)

Hey dante matey! :)

dante58701 said:
Divine actually, similar to the [School] Immunities granted by portfolios as divine abilities.

The limiting factor of course being that you can only take it once. If it were allowed more often than that I'd definitely have to make it cosmic.

Being impervious to a single school of magic was already defined by you as being divine.

Yes I know, but I'm a tad out of the 3.5 loop at the moment.

Nice to be back, I've been a bit busy lately.

Hope you have been keeping well and had a good Xmas and New Year. :)

How's the Nosferatu coming?

I'm still looking forward to that. :)

Slowly. But it is coming. Working on 4E this week and then Godsend the week after that.

You know you will love the vampire stuff I'm doing for 4E...trust me. But don't worry, Nosferatu will be in Godsend. ;)

Remove ads