Custom divine abilities, portfolios, etc.

Belzamus

First Post
Hmm...well, that could be okay then.

Now, I was thinking, perhaps it could be instead similar to a lot of the monsters in the Bestiary that get additional damage of some kind equal to their base damage dice, so if your arrows do 120d10 base, you would add an extra 120d10 Kinetic Damage to them.

Maybe as a Divine prerequisite if you think its underpowered?

Also, not completely related, but I've come to the conclusion that the CRs in the Bestiary aren't suitable for use with Ascension, in that, they're compatible with just the ELH + the Bestiary, and adding in Ascension tips the scale too far in the favor of a semi to well-optimized PC.

Like, Sandalphon is likely not a threat to a 120th level party where each chartacter is specialized in their role.

Likewise, the Kyriotates seems, to me, far too weak for its CR.

Even the higher end dragons fall a little short, in my opinion. The only ones of the top of my head that strike me as close to what's written are the Golems and the Quintessence Elemental. Probably the Astral Worm/Hyrda too.

Maybe it's just me though, I tend to optimize a bit, even when designing monsters.

Howdy Belzamus mate! :)

Belzamus said:
Also, not completely related, but I've come to the conclusion that the CRs in the Bestiary aren't suitable for use with Ascension, in that, they're compatible with just the ELH + the Bestiary, and adding in Ascension tips the scale too far in the favor of a semi to well-optimized PC.

Like, Sandalphon is likely not a threat to a 120th level party where each chartacter is specialized in their role.

Even the higher end dragons fall a little short, in my opinion. The only ones of the top of my head that strike me as close to what's written are the Golems and the Quintessence Elemental. Probably the Astral Worm/Hyrda too.

Maybe it's just me though, I tend to optimize a bit, even when designing monsters.

My CRs are perfect. Its your PCs that are unbalanced. ;)

As I think I mentioned in v5, min/maxing of PCs will mean that the DM should up the Encounter Level to compensate.

Belzamus

First Post
Okay...I think I'm doing something wrong then. Let's see if we can clear this up.

U_K, I have an email from about 3 years ago where I asked why a Time Lord, who gets 200 Divine Slots, would only have 1 Omnific and no other abilities, to which you replied,

If you are making a Time Lord NPC I suggest just giving them an Omnific ability using its Divine Ability Slots. Whereas if you have a Time Lord PC they'll probably have loads of Divine, Cosmic and Transcendental powers from earlier divinity templates.

Of course they do get a possible +4 Omnific powers through artifacts.

Now, from this I gathered that it could trade in each of its artifacts for an additional number of divine abilities equal to its divine rank (+200, one Omnific costs 200).

So, with this reasoning in mind, whenever I design a deity, I give them a number of Divine Abilities equal to their Divne Rank x5 (x1 from the template and x4 for each artifact sacrificed) and then subtract the worth of any artifacts they do use from there.

However, and this just struck me,

4 Omnific Abilities is worth 800 ECL.
Equipment comprises 1/3 ECL.
A Time Lord's ECL is 2000.
1/3 of 2,000 is 667.

Now let's look at a Greater Deity for a smaller example.

They would get 64 bonus Divine Abilities (16x4)
Their ECL is 160.
1/3 of 160 is 53.

I can see it's close, and I believe you told me somewhere else that that's a quick-and-dirty conversion, but in that case, I don't see how it meshes with the /2, /2.8 rules.

Say a Time Lord is wielding a +714 sword, wearing +1000 Armor, and wielding a +1000 Shield.

It says in Ascension that a +6 Magic Item Modifier is equal to 1 ECL is equal to 1 Divine Ability.

By this logic, the Time Lord's sword is worth 119 Divine Abilities and his Armor and Shield are each worth 167 Divine Abilities.

This results in a serious deficiency compared to giving him 4 Omnific Abilities.

For the Greater Deity, he would have a +57 Sword, +80 armor, and a +80 shield, equating to:

9 divines for the sword, and thirteen divines for each the armor and the shield. (Let's assume another 13 for a wonderous item)

That gives him 48 Divine Abilities worth of equipment, where he would have 64 from a straight conversion.

What really sticks out about this, though, is that if equipment is 1/3 ECL and immortals typically have a Divine Bonus equal to 1/10 ECL, giving them 4xDivine Bonus ECL in equipment is 4/10 ECL, which converted is 12/30 compared to 10/30, which doesn't look like a huge difference, but when it lets a First One have a half-a-dozen more Cosmic Abilities, it really makes a difference.

But...I guess it's just a different way of doing it, it just causes my immortals to come out under-CR'd, I think, which in turn makes the monsters in the Bestiary look over-CR'd in comparison.

I guess what I'm wondering is, for a quick-and-easy conversion, why not just divide ECL by 3 and give them THAT many Divine Abilities in place of artifacts?

Sorry for that exceptionally long and largely useless post.

Last edited:

paradox42

First Post
Basically, I was wondering if anyone had come up with Immortal abilities for the Meldshapers, the way that Belzamus came up with Immortal abilities for the Warlocks. They're among my favorite 3.X classes and I want to continue on with them in ITH. Considering the flavor of both the Meldshapers and TIH Immortals, it simply seemed to a near perfect match - who doesn't love characters whose entire premise is 'I get stronger by manipulating soul energy?'
I, OTOH, do have the Incarnum book, and since some of my players were interested in the classes (though they didn't start as them, but were going to possibly add levels gained during godhood) I took a serious look and came up with some. I must stress, however, that these are untested in any serious capacity, so they may be wildly off-base. That said, Incarnum was designed to be exceptionally carefully balanced on its own, so it probably won't destabilize things much to use these Divines.

Divine Meldshaper [Divine]
Prerequisites:
Meldshaper level 20, CON 40, Knowledge (Arcana) 40 ranks.
Benefit: You can shape double the number of soulmelds you could shape by class and feats alone. Also, you are no longer restricted from shaping more than one meld that occupies the same chakra, though your number of Chakra Binds does not change.

Divine Essentia [Divine]
Prerequisites:
Meldshaper level 20, CON 40, Knowledge (Arcana) 40 ranks.
Benefit: Double your Essentia pool.

Double Bind [Divine]
Prerequisites:
Meldshaper level 20, Knowledge (Arcana) 40 ranks.
Benefit: You are allowed to bind one extra soulmeld to each chakra you can bind to.

Side comment, obviously all of the above Divine Abilities stack with themselves, if a serious Incarnum user wants to take them more than once. Also, I made a general rule that applies to all Immortals regardless of which abilities they take, that a being's Essentia Capacity goes up by +1 per Divine Rank. Thus, a DR 12 deity would have an extra +12 essentia capacity above and beyond whatever its class levels/HD give it normally (typically, this would already be quite high given the HD requirements for getting 12 DR).

There are also two Cosmics to consider.

Cosmic Essentia [Cosmic]
Prerequisites:
Meldshaper level 20, Divine Essentia, CON 70.
Benefit: Your Essentia pool becomes infinite. [for practical game purposes, this means that anything you have that depends on Essentia investment for its effect is always maxed-out at your full Essentia Capacity.]

Cosmic Binding [Cosmic]
Prerequisites:
Meldshaper level 20, Double Bind, CON 70.
Benefit: All of your soulmelds grant you all of their Chakra Bind abilities at all times (i.e. all of your soulmelds are effectively bound to every chakra they can be bound to, simultaneously).

Hope these prove handy and fun in game! Like I said, they haven't been tested in mine yet so I have no particular way to judge yet.

EDIT: Oops, forgot potentially the most important one! In a discussion with the player of mine who's most interested in Incarnum, we came up with one last Cosmic one- based on the idea that Incarnum is really all about manipulating soul energy into "magic items" anyway.

True Soulmeld [Cosmic]
Prerequisites:
Meldshaper level 40, Divine Meldshaper, CON 70.
Benefit: Choose one Soulmeld you can shape. When you shape that Soulmeld, it not only provides you with all the benefits it normally would, but also counts as one of your Artifacts (one in addition to your standard four), with full gold-piece value for enhancements and added abilities. If the chosen Soulmeld ever unshapes, you lose QP as though you had lost an Artifact.

This obviously carries great character potential for ultra-high Incarnum users, but also great risk since that one Soulmeld has to be very carefully protected. We discussed hard-limiting it to being something you can only take once, but didn't actually make a decision at the time. So, make it stackable, or not, as you choose, if you use it at all.

Last edited:

paradox42

First Post

Actually, as many of you know, my group's been going with Ascension rules for a while and we came to the same conclusion some time ago. We bumped up some of the abilities (particularly the ones affecting Power Attack and criticals) up a tier, or in some cases disallow them entirely, and as I mentioned long ago in this or another thread, my HD requirements for getting a specific divine status are bumped up considerably from Ascension core.

At this point, one of my games is in roughly the ECL 400 range, while the other is just topping 700. These include the +5 ECL per DR from their templates. No PC has more than 25 DR at this stage. But, that second game, the high one, has seen several of the "Uber Enemies" from the IH Bestiary used in actual play- and without exception they were wiped out in one round, usually solo'ed, and except in one case, without even getting a turn to act with.

This includes Nexus Dragons (at every age cat up to Great Wyrm), and even a Neutronium Golem more recently. That one had only the two melee PCs fighting it, both are large enough with various powers that they could reach it without getting hit by its Gravitic Aura, and when it blew up the explosion dealt about 1/4 their healthy hit point totals and had no other significant effect. I may be testing Starshadow and/or Firmament Dragons against this group in the near future, but I don't expect them to fare much better in the long run (well, maybe the Firmament Dragon since it's guaranteed by Thelemic DR to get at least one turn).

paradox42

First Post
Another new [Effect] type

As long as I'm posting anyway, I suppose it's high time I shared this idea my group came up with, though it hasn't yet been seriously tested in play.

This came about because we have a deity who was trying to acquire a Portfolio of Invention, and none of the existing divine [Effect] types fit it. Really, to work well, we needed something that would create magic items, otherwise it just wasn't Invention-esque enough. We'd tried to come up with a magic-item-creation [Effect] type before, and failed, but our second try came up with something we could all live with.

We reasoned it thusly: shouldn't a god whose primary focus is on crafting and inventing things, be able to concentrate his or her divine essence down into actual items for various effects? Sure, existing item creation rules allow that even at mortal levels, but a god should be able to go farther. The eventual key to our final design lay in that idea, that the god is concentrating and distilling his/her divine essence into a new form that happens to look/behave like an item. This results in the

Essence [Effect]
This is a new [Effect] type, like Strike, Blood, or Wrath- not a power type, such as Iatric, Negative Energy, or Antimatter.

As a full-round action, the Immortal using [Power] Essence can create a highly distilled, heavily concentrated liquid/gel that contains the deepest and most fundamental powers contained in its being. This volume of liquid behaves essentially as a potion, or magical Oil would, except that its precise effect upon application is determined by the [Power] the Immortal distilled to form it. Forming any Essence requires that the Immortal spend 1 XP per Divine Rank.

Once formed, the Essence behaves as a potion, or magical Oil would, depending on whether the power used to shape it is defensive or offensive in nature. It creates one "die" of effect per 16 HD of the creator Immortal, using effectively the same chart as Strike, Storm (Aura) and Blood. Thus, an Immortal creating a Perfect Essence bases the number of dice on 1/4 its hit dice. If the Essence is "defensive" or helpful, then its effect applies to the being who consumes the Essence (as if it were a potion); otherwise, the Essence is applied to a weapon or natural weapon like an oil, and applies to targets struck by that weapon or natural weapon. An Essence acting as an Oil has a duration of 1 round per HD of the creator.

Examples: A 120-HD deity using Greater Iatric Essence creates a potion that heals 150 hit points of the drinker. If the same deity instead uses Perfect Force Essence, the item is an oil that causes the weapon it is applied to to deal an extra 30d4 Force damage to targets struck. The extra Force damage lasts for 12 minutes (120 rounds), after application on the weapon.

We also partly came up with this because it seemed silly to us that a deity with Poison [Effects] could not in fact create a bottle of actual Poison, to be honest. But that's what we came up with. We also decided that some Portfolios would, instead of offering Superior [Effect] at Lesser, allow the deity to pick three [Power] [Effect]s of a specific effect type at Lesser, and three more (or increasing the first three) at Intermediate. Thus, the Invention Portfolio does not in fact offer a specific Superior [Effect] at Lesser; it instead offers three chosen [Power] Essences at Lesser. This paradigm can, of course, be used in other Portfolios as appropriate- for example, a god of Beams should certainly get three [Power] Beam abilities at Lesser, rather than one Superior [Power] Beam, yes?

Comments?

Last edited:

Hey Paradox42 mate! :)

paradox42 said:
Actually, as many of you know, my group's been going with Ascension rules for a while and we came to the same conclusion some time ago. We bumped up some of the abilities (particularly the ones affecting Power Attack and criticals) up a tier, or in some cases disallow them entirely, and as I mentioned long ago in this or another thread, my HD requirements for getting a specific divine status are bumped up considerably from Ascension core.

At this point, one of my games is in roughly the ECL 400 range, while the other is just topping 700. These include the +5 ECL per DR from their templates. No PC has more than 25 DR at this stage. But, that second game, the high one, has seen several of the "Uber Enemies" from the IH Bestiary used in actual play- and without exception they were wiped out in one round, usually solo'ed, and except in one case, without even getting a turn to act with.

As I posted previously, I maintain the CRs are correct. The problems you are experiencing are due to a number of factors.

1. (I'm guessing) Min/maxed PCs...with no doubt the ability to take on monsters two or three times more powerful than the 'norm' (if indeed there is a norm at that level).
2. Multiple PCs vs. Single Monsters

This includes Nexus Dragons (at every age cat up to Great Wyrm), and even a Neutronium Golem more recently. That one had only the two melee PCs fighting it, both are large enough with various powers that they could reach it without getting hit by its Gravitic Aura, and when it blew up the explosion dealt about 1/4 their healthy hit point totals and had no other significant effect. I may be testing Starshadow and/or Firmament Dragons against this group in the near future, but I don't expect them to fare much better in the long run (well, maybe the Firmament Dragon since it's guaranteed by Thelemic DR to get at least one turn).

Thats very interesting, but also a little disheartening to hear I didn't go far enough with my monsters. :(

I'd like to say, I'll get it all right for 4th Edition. But to convert your campaign over to 4E would require me to have everything I have planned basically completed now...and I seriously doubt I'll get everything done anyway (if history has taught us anything).

Your campaign would require a completed Sidereal Tier (Levels 51-60) as well as both preceding tiers...and all the monsters to go with it. :eek:

I really should get a trio of co-writers (one per tier?), otherwise most of these ideas are just going to go to waste. :.-(

Belzamus

First Post
I've actually noticed a sort of inverse diffuculty cure with the monsters in the Bestiary, U_K. Some of the lower-level ones are just plain nasty (Ioun Golem, Orichalcum Guardian/Golem, the smaller Unelementals, the lower CR Force golems...) whereas the higher end CRs are a little out of whack. (For my own purposes, I reduce them by 1/3, seems to fall in line with my own stuff a little better, but that's just guessing.)

The Void Dragon is kind of a one-trick pony, I think. That Breath Weapon is pretty much a TPK from the Great Wyrm. Plus, its tremendous speed lets it get out of danger unless the party can keep up with it (which isn't a given at that level).

The Cometary Great Wyrm likewise can be devastating, especially if you add Time Folding to its initiative (why not?). And Seventh Sense combined with Chronal Displacement give it pretty good defenses. Its only real problem is a slight lack of offense if its Breath Weapon fails, otherwise it, likewise, is a TPK at Great Wyrm status.

The Nexus...faces a serious problem. It's meant to contend with Demiurges who have, literally, SCORES of special abilities. It simply can't keep up. Yes, its breath weapon is almost a guarenteed win, but there ARE ways around it at ECL 700, and in all likelihood, the thing will die before its ever born, killed from the other side of the universe, if a Demiurge perceives it to be even a slight threat. Slipstream and Cosmic Consciousness would help a ton, I think. Transversal wouldn't hurt either.

The Neutronium Golem is...hit and miss, really. Yes, its numbers are egregiously high, but...its Initiative is +79 and its Touch AC is 88. EIGHTY EIGHT! Its DCs are...decent for about CR 400, not 9,000, which is honestly close to where I think it shoudl be. Maybe more like 600 or 700, but some of my tougher First Ones could take him down with a fair effort. For example, Zoratain, ECL 694, has 9th Sense, Perfect Defense, Trans-Attack Period, and Trans-Temporal. There's very little the golem could do to harm him, especially since his saves are around +900. I won't even get into Khorvanis, my Stage II Demiurge ECL 1,225. A Neutronium Golem wouldn't even be a speed bump for him. I'm not trying to show off or anything stupid like that either, just making the point that the golem's CR is WAY overshot.

I think a big part of the problem is that golems just aren't really suitable threats for Sidereals and up, really. A lot of things aren't. Dragons could very well be, I think, I just think they need a little boost right now (the Nehschismic category in especial) if they're going to contend with Sidereals and the like.

Now, one more thing I'd like to question. What actually constitutes min-maxing here? Is a fighter-god/sidereal taking all of the Weapon Focus/Spec, Critical/Multiplier, and Power Attack abilites min-maxing or what should be expected? I mean if you're maintaining an "average" PC a la the DMG's sample characters, then sure that makes sense, but come one, NO ONE makes a character like that, especially at these levels.

For containing power, I have a few suggestions that help my group.

1. Use only Core+Ascension. No splat books, nothing.
2. No multi-classing. 1 prestige class per character IF flavor calls for it.
3. Stay as close to HD = 1/2 ECL as possible.
4. Only one Body/Mind/Soul/Spirit line allowed per character, 2 at most if flavor absolutely demands it.
5. No Epic Spellcasting
6. Alter Reality is a Transcendental Ability given automatically to Eternals, not Sidereals.
7. Abrogate nullifes one ability of the user's choosing that they know the enemy possesses and may be changed once per round as a Free Action. (helps counter cheap abilities)
8. Sidereals and up (and all monsters in that range) have Slipstream automatically.
9. hit point multipliers are bumped up 1 step. (Right now, its Elder: x4. Old: x6, First: x8, Stage I: x16, Stage II: x32, Stage III: x64. I propose: Elder x6, Old x8, First x 16, Stage I x32, Stage II x64, Stage III x128) (These should likely apply to high-end monsters as well, or introduce d10000 HD for them.)
10. Simple understanding that the idea is for the party to be challenged. If there's an imbalance, it's up to the DM to address it. And if my players get uppity, I always have Khorvanis to fall back on (600 attacks per round @700K damage,Transversal, Uncanny Whirlwind Attack, Alter Reality 200th level spell per round, Perfect Defense, Inner Eye, Evil Eye, Deadzone, Unreal, Transcorporeal, Perfect Astro Effect, Rectify...tends to keep uppity Sidereals in line. :devil:)

Edit: Also, I wish I could help with your 4E stuff, U_K, but I don't know the rules at all, unfortunately. I'd most certainly be up to helping out with the 3.5 conversions, though.

Last edited:

paradox42

First Post
I should note in fairness that none of the suggested fixes would have helped the Nexus Dragons that died in my game, because my party used scry n' fry tactics and very careful planning against the beasts. It took us two entire sessions of preparation, with the party doing essentially nothing but researching the topic of Nexus Dragons, before they finally attacked one. Sure, most of their divination attempts were failing thanks to the dragon's Interdimensional ability, but the party always played patient and waited until it knew exactly where the dragon was- and then Teleported right on top of it in the same round (usually from another plane of existence actually, so the dragon's ability to see the whole universe was irrelevant- senses don't cross planar boundaries).

Also, several party members have Perfect Initiative, meaning that They Go First; the dragon not only didn't, but has a 10 DEX by default. That hurts badly because even if the dragon wasn't surprised, it's still not going first. The melee character who took most of the dragons out also pumped his DEX ridiculously high, so his Initiative bonus is in the hundreds. That's easy to do at ECL above 400; you don't really even need to try if you're a Rogue-type or multiple-weapon striker like a Dervish (which is what this guy is).

And of course, the melee characters are using the best possible weapons and dealing upwards of 40,000 points of damage on a STANDARD hit (meaning, not even a crit). And that's the Dervish I mentioned above. The one who concentrated his power on one big attack (equivalent to a Greatsword user at low levels) can now (at ECL 700) deal over 1 MILLION points of damage if his biggest attack hits (and it nearly always does, given how high attack bonuses are compared to AC at these levels).

Dervish guy got past the Interdimensional ability essentially by stacking multiple action-adding abilities so as to spam an absurd number of attacks per round, he was making something like 100 attack rolls (of course, having six arms with Perfect Multiweapon Fighting helps). Even the dragon that had over 90% on Interdimensional didn't stand up to that very long- it survived the initial assault, and used its turn to run away, but the party time travelled back 1 round to when they knew exactly where it was and just hit it again before it got away (admittedly this is a nonstandard method of victory for most games, but if you have any sort of time travel- like that Epic spell Time Duplicate- it can be done in a core game too).

Oh, and just in case the dragon had gotten a turn, the party made sure that the PC with Abrogate was teleported such that the dragon was within his Divine Aura. Hence, most dangerous ability eliminated, and under most circumstances, that would mean the breath weapon.

My players ARE powergamers, but we actually banned several abilities that do stuff like help Power Attack, and bumped up others by a full tier (i.e. Divine->Cosmic, Epic Feat->Divine). And I have the "one Esoteric limit" rule in place, meaning that characters are never allowed to have more than one Esoteric ability, except for certain ones of a "bread & butter" nature that don't really help beings of the tier they're meant for. Examples of the latter include Divine Toughness and Perfect Body at Divine (useless to most gods), or Cosmic Toughness and Cosmic Consciousness at Cosmic (useless to Sidereals since they get them for free anyway). This means, among other things, that my party- which thanks to my much higher HD requirements are still just gods (i.e. not even Sidereals)- are NOT ALLOWED under any circumstances to have or use Transcendental or Omnific Abilities. So in fact, my PCs are pretty heavily limited compared to core Ascension, if you look purely at their ECL, and they're still kicking ass and taking numbers.

This tendency to use Scry N' Fry is why I feel the Starshadow Dragons or Firmament Dragons might work out better, since they're effectively armored against it- the Starshadow by the fact that they're so damned hard to hit in the first place (though admittedly the Dervish can probably get around that little issue, so Starshadow probably wouldn't win in a combat), Firmament by the Thelemic Damage Reduction. All their attacks that first round (not to mention divination attempts if they're not timed perfectly) will just plain bounce off- the dragon is GUARANTEED to get at least one turn. Which will help it. Of course, that assumes they're going to fight it- so far they've avoided trying, because they're afraid that attacking it will wake up their Demiurge early (the main campaign plot in both games now is preparation for the waking of the Demiurge, which seems inevitable- both parties even know the exact time it occurs, down to the minute).

Last edited:

Belzamus

First Post
Wait...they're doing a million damage a hit without Unearthly Weapon Specialization...?

All I can say is: "Whoa!".

My most powerful First One (240 HD, ECL 492)'s attack looks like this:

Cataclysm +989 (x8) Melee Touch 400d100 +5,460 +144d20 Divine (+10d100 Divine per opponent’s Divine Rank) 10-20/x10

Also adding in a 240:1 Power Attack on a charge, which with a Touch Attack of nearly +1000, he's likely to get a full bonus on. (+57,600 damage per hit)

Even then, against another First One, he'd only (Ha! Only!) deal 153,940 damage a hit, and he has pretty much every melee ability in Ascension. (Other than Ultimate Weapon Specialization).

But a million? That's CRAZY. I'm assuming it has to do with some crazy Virtual Size Categories, since I tend to try to avoid those where possible (at least for character with the Weapon Spec line. I.e., this guy has 700 STR and is Gargantuan, his weapon's base damage is only 40d10.)

Your game sounds nuts, Paradox. :lol: (Though I have to say, Scry-and-Fry and Time Travel wouldn't work in my campaign setting, thanks the gods.)

Have you tried having them fight an actual Sidereal yet?

I'm actually kind of confused about the Nexus still. It gets a +240 luck bonus to initiative (and everything else), that still wasn't enough? Not to mention Unknowing gives a -240 penalty to everything within 21 miles. A gulf of 480 points wasn't enough to sway the fight in its favor? And over 200 levels of metamagic on its Alter Reality didn't help either?

Just, wow! Your party must be INSANE. :cool:

Also, a tangential point that's been bugging me. Why isn't there a Damage Reduction Multiplier at higher tiers? Like, why do Sidereals have a DR that only blocks a few hundreds points of measly damage at best? Why not at least mulitiply it by their hit point multiplier, if not doouble that? Seems like it might make it actually relevant again before the awesome DR start to show up. Like, would it really be unreasonable for the Nexus to have DR 20,000/--? I don't really think so.

Remove ads