D&D 5E D&D 5e is fantastic. Just a topic of appreciation and some forum analysis.

Reynard

Legend
Yep. As much as things like the current adventure support bug me, and keep me from investing fully in the game, I LOVE the game itself. Mearls and team did a bangup job on the system.

Now start pumping out small self contained adventures please or bring back Dungeon mag. I have been playing since 1978..I can only convert and play The Classics so many times, ya know? ;)

Or, failing that, launch an official method for 3rd party support in the form of adventures at least.

neobolts

Explorer
I do hope those who might be devs look past the gadflies and see the positives of this community. The current edition is fantastic. The posts tend to tear the game apart, but "looking under the hood" is what forums like this are all about.

I'm surprised how much time I spend here discussing the marketing and future business plans of D&D, versus the inner working of the game itself. I understand why this happens. There a legacy with D&D where solvency, questionable design choices, and the overall health of the hobby are real concerns.

That said, every edition has had its strong points. And 5e draws on a number of them from previous editions. I'm really happy with the quality of this edition, and really feel like I had a voice via the playtests. 5e mechanics are solid yet do not wrestle for control with the storytelling, which is the ideal balance. I expect to get many years of play out of it. :D

Raith5

Adventurer
It is a shame that the praise posts go away quickly, this means that IF the devs come here they are not likely to see them. So I just wanted to say that I love D&D5e (and the others). I can't speak for everyone but, personally, my topics do come from the fact that I have such an intense bond with the game.

I agree with this sentiment but I dont see these forums as only being a place of passionate interjections. The expertise and informed perspectives on these forums is considerable and obviously diverse. Furthermore, I think it very important to have a place for critical discussion about the game and hobby and to see dissenting opinions developed.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I joined EN world because of my love for D&D 5. I think Wizards has a runaway hit with 5e and Im looking forward to seeing it develop. I play other table-top games (including PF) but when I pick up my 5e books I feel a love for roleplaying that takes me back to my first years playing D&D, a feeling that no other rpg has done. This is a testament to the skill and hard work that Wizards put into this latest D&D. We need more of these kinds of posts on these forums.

We need more of these kinds of posts on these forums.

An honest question.

Why?

If you like the direction the game is going then happy days, but there is a significant section of the community that isn't. The core rules themselves have received much praise on these boards so giving further praise repeatedly really doesn't get anything done.

I know for a fact that Wizards employees do come to these boards to have a look and posters here also post on the Wizards site. If we have nothing but praise then they may think everything is all good and continue to give us very little product support. What's wrong with the game has always generated the most topics because it's important to pick out the problems and hope they get fixed.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Knowing the two constants:

1. No edition will please everyone
2. No edition will be a 100% perfect fit where every rule is loved for anyone

Then it seems clear that 5e is a huge success. I honestly don't know how they could make it a whole lot better for the masses. The things that I'd like see modified would end up taking away from other gamers things they like. So the core rules, and areas they listed as modifiable, is truly a really good job. The team does deserve some major kudos there.

Nefzyflin

Explorer
I've always been a man of few words.

PHB 5/5... DMG 5/5... MM 5/5.

Not to say that some rules can't / shouldn't be tweaked. But the game as a whole is great.

Thank you WotC.

Nef

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
While I'm not 100% onboard with the design direction of 5e, I do believe the designers and developers did a great job at meeting the design goals they set for the game. 5e is a very enjoyable game, with fantastic presentation.

Most of the complaints around the game tend to for better communication, more adventure support, more setting support, and more mechanical support. Which pretty much boils down to "Get me more 5e, faster." Hard to view that as anything but complimentary to the game!

Mallus

Legend
I ran my first 5e session last week -- on Good Friday, while drinking red wine -- and it went very well. This was a restart of our old 4e campaign (with players than ran the gamut from 'I liked 4e' to 'can we play Red Box next?') and the PCs began at 9th level.

The first scene was a battle between 9 characters & NPCs averaging 9 class levels. I DM'ed it without a hitch while drinking. Said battle did not consume the bulk of the session time.

I'm really positive about 5e now that I'm using the finished product -- I was cool on the various iterations of playtest. The next test is trying to use parts of the famous mid-to-high-level AD&D tournament modules with an absolute minimum of conversion.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe the closest analogy to this is being a parent who sees their child making the same mistakes over and over, in which case we want to draw attention to this and FIX the problem we believe is occurring.

Yes, I think you are correct. And that's a problem. Why? Because in the parent-child relationship, you can generally count on the parent having greater life-experience and understanding of the world than the child. This eventually breaks down as the child gets older and grows up, of course, but the general statement is sound - the point is that the parent may actually know what they are talking about.

But here, we have a bunch of regular folks without real expertise or better information, trying to argue over what is best for a business. We *think* we are parental, and argue like we know what we are talking about, when that's highly questionable.

We could talk about it with a more proper level of doubt in our own assessments, but we don't.

Remove ads