• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

At my open table, I've a player that shows up regardless of illness. That has me a bit worried in the best of times. Sure, we want dedicated players, but not like that.

My open table at a gaming cafe will probably just halt based on whether or not the cafe remains open.

My home group has talked about switching to online gaming, should there be an actual outbreak in our area (currently, the recorded cases are all on the other side of the state, but I'm sure that will change).

I'm still planning on heading to Gary Con in about two weeks. But I'll be bringing plenty of hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes for all surfaces. It's a mild concern at this point, and honestly, I'm more afraid of getting sick ahead of time and having to cancel. If the outbreak is still going come summer, I'm not sure how this'll affect Origins.

I think anyone who is sick and goes to a game, whether that be a private game or to an FLGS, is being very irresponsible. But I have always thought that, even with the normal flu. No one wants your illness Karen.

S'mon

Legend
If the government shuts down the pubs and public transport, I guess I'll have to suspend my tabletop games and dust off one of my play-by-posts or text-chat games.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
We haven't cancelled any of our games yet, but we do mostly play in each other's homes. That of course doesn't rule out having picked it up at work or elsewhere. No one I play with would force playing while knowing they are sick, at least. But as I understand it, you can be infected and contagious without symptoms for a bit, so even that may not be enough.

There is now a presumptive case in my county, that makes me a bit more worried. Up until now, it's all been in other parts of the USA or in other countries.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Also, the mortality rate doesn’t capture the total picture. Last figure I saw showed that up to 20% require breathing assistance. They don’t die, so it doesn’t show up on the fatality %, but that’s still pretty scary. Especially if there aren’t enough care providers or breathing machines to cover everyone.

Lem23

Adventurer
That's the crappy thing, you can have it, be passing it around, and not show symptoms for days, possibly a week or more. If you have symptoms, then certainly quarantine yourself or seek hospital treatment, but just because you aren't currently showing symptoms doesn't mean you are fine. As Sacrosanct said above, consider not visiting elderly relatives or those who have other illnesses that put them in the higher categories for danger. If you're in a danger area, put your social life on hold. Play online.

That there won't be enough machines to go around is a very scary and very real danger, should the outbreak grow large enough.

Also, the mortality rate doesn’t capture the total picture. Last figure I saw showed that up to 20% require breathing assistance. They don’t die, so it doesn’t show up on the fatality %, but that’s still pretty scary. Especially if there aren’t enough care providers or breathing machines to cover everyone.

That is encouraging, definitely. My hope is that between that and individual precautions, we should be fine. While a delay or postponing at this point is certainly possible, we're only about two weeks away. The logistics of that would certainly be a nightmare.

However, I am seeing that some of the GMs (and presumably players as well) are cancelling on their own.

I would not be surprised if things change and/or it is postponed or cancelled .... but at least they are addressing it!

NotAYakk

Legend
Nice map, but still proves the point about red. All those Total Confirmed could be in a nice light blue with blue circles on the map, and many people would not be as worried for that factor alone.

Again, I am not downplaying the significance and impact of the virus, just how important they way we interact with the information and how it affects us.
As an epidemic, it should be graphed logarithmicly.

Currently it grows at a rate of 10x every 16 days or so, at least until 10% or so infected, assuming no countermeasures.

How about each point of red on a 256 color scale is, say, 16 hours of virus progress, or a week is 10 points of color. So at 0 red you are at least 3200 hours or 133 days or 4 months away from 200 red, which we'll fix at 10% of the population infected. 240 red can be 100% infected, so past 10% we give 1 point of red for every 2% infected in population.

The virus grows by 10x every 16 days, so every factor of 10 is 24 color points.

To make things simple, we'll assume each area has a population of 100 million.
100 million: 255 red
10 million: 200 red
1 million: 176 red
100 thousand: 152 red
10 thousand: 128 red
1 thousand: 104 red
100: 80 red
10: 56 red
1 infected: 32 red

We can then subtract based on your population. China gets -24 for having a billion people, USA gets -12 for having 300 million, Canada gets +12 for having 30 million.

SK: 130 red
Italy: 124 red
China: 120 red
USA: 78 red
Canada: 76 red

Note that controlled cases are counted here.

USA has 100s of uncontrolled transmission cases, canada has had 1. If we only count uncontrolled transmission (ie, not quarentined on a ship and tested and taking directly into isolation, or caught from travel to a known non-local hotspot), we get:

SK: 130 red (possibly much less due to extreme tracking measures, uncertain)
Italy: 124 red (they gave up on tracking, are just trying to isolate it into starvation)
China: 120 red (possibly much less due to extreme tracking measures, uncertain)
USA: 76 red (1/3 of US cases are unknown source at this point)
Canada: 44 red (almost all Canadian cases are known-source and isolated at this point)

Basically, this places USA 5 weeks away from Italy without measures being undertaken to stop it.

And the incubation period 0-2 weeks, so there should be a region where (known or not) you should have avoided going around in public in about 3-4 weeks from now as it was all over the place.

Likely areas in the USA are NY, California and Seattle, or also possible is a state that is undertested and has an outbreak nobody knows about yet.

---

TL;DR this thing is more infections than the common cold. It grows at 10x every 16 days.

An area with 10 community infections is only a month behind a place with 1000.

Italy, which has more doctors per capita than the USA, has had its health care system collapse under the outbreak of 1000s of cases. The success rate of ventilators on elderly and those with comorbidity is low enough that they are triaging their use and letting people who could be saved die, because there are not enough ventilators.

USA on its current trajectory is 5 weeks away from a similar situation, because 300 unknown source people means about 300 people sick in the wild and untreated still spreading it.

In 16 days those 300 people are going to be 3000. In 16 more days they are going to be 30,000. In 16 more they are going to be 300,000. In 16 more they will be 3 million.

There are 62,188 full-feature ventilators in the USA. Upwards of 10% of those infected with Covid-19 need ventilation. So in 50-70 days the USA will run out of ventilators if they are moved to where they are needed with 100% efficiency, and that assumes we only use them for Covid-19.

Oxygen and CPAP type machines can be used (they are better than nothing).

But don't worry, you are more likely to be hit by lightning (today). Don't worry about tomorrow.

Last edited:

Lem23

Adventurer
Talking of taking precautions and not being an idiot:

1583855885207.png

1583855861864.png

WTF?

Dausuul

Legend
0.005% of the Chinese people have caught the virus or roughly 1 in 17,500.
You're cherry-picking statistics from a country that has instituted draconian quarantines with an outbreak that is, even now, still in its early stages.

How about everybody who isn't an epidemiologist quits batting numbers around that the actual epidemiologists haven't yet nailed down? Maybe instead we focus on what those epidemiologists are telling us, which is that this could get quite bad. Not Black Death bad, not even Spanish Flu bad, but bad enough that we should expect significant disruptions of our lives for the next 12 months or so.

Remove ads