• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Ryujin

Legend
My wife is a house call veterinarian. Today, she had someone expecting her to come into their home when everyone in it had tested positive for covid two days ago. One of them was asymptomatic, and the others had "only mild symptoms, really."
"Well just because we have to quarantine that doesn't mean that you have to!"

... or somesuch nonsense.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
My wife is a house call veterinarian. Today, she had someone expecting her to come into their home when everyone in it had tested positive for covid two days ago. One of them was asymptomatic, and the others had "only mild symptoms, really."

F that, hard pass, do not pass go etc.

NotAYakk

Legend
Hey guys, you said flatten the curve. Did you mean on the X or Y axis?

Screenshot_20220103-200432.png

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, those charts look great /s. It's a darn good thing that omicron is not quite as deadly and that so many people are vaccinated, or we'd be a "bring out your dead" Monty Python sketch (without the funny part).

Zardnaar

Legend
Got pinged multiple times with Covid vaccine pass today. Spent 5 hours wandering around doing stuff/watching Ghost Busters.
No vaccine pass no yum tums pt 2.

IMG_20220104_135914.jpg

And no Chinese Gardens.

IMG_20220104_124338.jpg

Took masks with us used them where appropriate (cafes, movie theatre).

Thomas Shey

Legend
Well, I can't seem to get a COVID test anywhere locally short of a week from now, so at this point I think I'm just going to minimize my contact with people outside the house (if my wife gets it, that's probably unavoidable at this point given how long I've had could-be-could-not symptoms) and see if anything further develops. Could just be a cold or some kind of allergies.

NotAYakk

Legend
Yeah, those charts look great /s. It's a darn good thing that omicron is not quite as deadly and that so many people are vaccinated, or we'd be a "bring out your dead" Monty Python sketch (without the funny part).
It may be that Omicron is about as infectious as Delta, but infects most people with prior exposure (infection or vaccines) almost as if they had no resitance. (the exception being 3x exposed and 2x and recent mRNA/AZ/mRNA).

Oh, and has a 3 day lifecycle.

6x every 3 days is 2x every 1.6 days, or 32 days from 1 to a million infections.

SA data has problems, because they already lost 0.5% of the population to covid 19 (excess death data) and are a young population; so nearly 100% of population was previously exposed. Delta was dying from herd immunity; omicron reinfected almost everyone.

In an area with near total vaccination and previous infection things may be similar to SA (at least in the youth). But immuno compromised may be in trouble. And I guess the correlation of anti vax and anti mask means that people who are in that corner are probably already previously infected.

Also, we have zero long covid data from Omicron.

The graph is limited by testing capabilities. UK being high is evidence of ability to test more than anything compared to others.

Ontario had its capacity plummit, because it was doing batch testing (test 10 samples at once, if all are negative the batch is negative; if they are positive, retest individual samples). Test positivity has spiked to 50% in some areas, rendering batch testing inefficient, causing capacity to plummet.

A problem remains that severe cases can lag diagnosis by weeks. And we have this vertical line of cases. If the best case scenario doesn't develop, by the time we know that it is 2 weeks too lste to fix it.

So here is hoping. We have battered down the hatches and are hoping to weather the wave. Based on SA and exponential geometry, this spike may be over in a month, and by then we'll learn how bad it is.

Still have my O2 concentrators in a box downstairs.

Zardnaar

Legend
It may be that Omicron is about as infectious as Delta, but infects most people with prior exposure (infection or vaccines) almost as if they had no resitance. (the exception being 3x exposed and 2x and recent mRNA/AZ/mRNA).

Oh, and has a 3 day lifecycle.

6x every 3 days is 2x every 1.6 days, or 32 days from 1 to a million infections.

SA data has problems, because they already lost 0.5% of the population to covid 19 (excess death data) and are a young population; so nearly 100% of population was previously exposed. Delta was dying from herd immunity; omicron reinfected almost everyone.

In an area with near total vaccination and previous infection things may be similar to SA (at least in the youth). But immuno compromised may be in trouble. And I guess the correlation of anti vax and anti mask means that people who are in that corner are probably already previously infected.

Also, we have zero long covid data from Omicron.

The graph is limited by testing capabilities. UK being high is evidence of ability to test more than anything compared to others.

Ontario had its capacity plummit, because it was doing batch testing (test 10 samples at once, if all are negative the batch is negative; if they are positive, retest individual samples). Test positivity has spiked to 50% in some areas, rendering batch testing inefficient, causing capacity to plummet.

A problem remains that severe cases can lag diagnosis by weeks. And we have this vertical line of cases. If the best case scenario doesn't develop, by the time we know that it is 2 weeks too lste to fix it.

So here is hoping. We have battered down the hatches and are hoping to weather the wave. Based on SA and exponential geometry, this spike may be over in a month, and by then we'll learn how bad it is.

Still have my O2 concentrators in a box downstairs.

We were doing batch testing as well. Numbers are down but due to time of year that's more testing rates I think.

Omicron hasn't breached MIQ yet still dealing with delta.

NotAYakk

Legend
Well, I can't seem to get a COVID test anywhere locally short of a week from now, so at this point I think I'm just going to minimize my contact with people outside the house (if my wife gets it, that's probably unavoidable at this point given how long I've had could-be-could-not symptoms) and see if anything further develops. Could just be a cold or some kind of allergies.
I'd do the masking/seperate bedrooms/air out bathrooms thing. There are multiple cases where that worked.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'd do the masking/seperate bedrooms/air out bathrooms thing. There are multiple cases where that worked.
We have a relatively small house, and only one bathroom. The only way we could do it for me to completely isolate in the main bedroom except when I'm using the bathroom (and trying to clean that after every use is the definition of impractical given I'm an old man who used it a dozen times a day). If I do, in fact, have COVID, I've likely had it for at least a week at this point, so avoiding exposure has fled the building.

Were I more sure I'd probably try anyway, but at this point it involves doing backflips for what could just be a cold or allergies (and the local swings in weather are easily enough to encourage those). I don't entirely like it, but I have to pretty much just take a calculated risk here, since we're both vaccinated and boosted, and I can't find out for sure in any sane time frame.

Remove ads