WotC D&D Direct--Learn About Upcoming D&D On April 21st!

D&D Direct is a 30-minute video which WotC will be releasing on April 21st at 9am Pacific Time (5pm BST, if I have my time zones correct). They'll be using it to reveal stuff about upcoming D&D projects (including video games and entertainment). The video will be presented by Anna Prosser and B. Dave Walters. This is being billed in an emailed announcement entitled "Learn Everything That’s...

D&D Direct is a 30-minute video which WotC will be releasing on April 21st at 9am Pacific Time (5pm BST, if I have my time zones correct). They'll be using it to reveal stuff about upcoming D&D projects (including video games and entertainment). The video will be presented by Anna Prosser and B. Dave Walters.

This is being billed in an emailed announcement entitled "Learn Everything That’s Happening This Year for Dungeons & Dragons" as the "first ever D&D Direct", so presumably there are more planned.

The D&D Team at Wizards of the Coast is excited to debut D&D Direct, a jam-packed thirty-minute video presentation on April 21 at 9:00 AM Pacific Time.

Tune in to see exclusive reveals from the world's greatest roleplaying game, including video games, entertainment, and more, guided by hosts Anna Prosser and B. Dave Walters.

D&D Direct will be broadcast on the D&D YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/DNDWizards) and Twitch (https://www.twitch.tv/dnd) channels.

To find out more on D&D Direct go to dnd.wizards.com and follow the official D&D social media accounts for more updates.

See you on April 21 at 9:00 AM PT for the first-ever D&D Direct!

Mercurius

Legend
I'd be super surprised if they did resin figure in a box, as cool as that would be. Love a box of any kind though!
Probably wishful thinking on my part, but think of Wrath of Ashardalon. They don't even need that many. They've also said that they might raise prices, so I could see an $80 box as I described it.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Probably wishful thinking on my part, but think of Wrath of Ashardalon. They don't even need that many. They've also said that they might raise prices, so I could see an $80 box as I described it.

Well, Ashardalon was 10 years ago. Not that they won't ever go back to it, now that Wizkids is tackling better minis themselves... although I think both Wizkids and GW are mostly ditching resin for plastic whenever possible.

But yeah, I do think it a bit unlikely. I think all of the attempts in 5E to make products tied to a model with minis performed badly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A Setting boxed set is not entirely implausible: it might fit Target's product needs, as well as WotC. That would be a new (for WotC) format.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Has WotC really never done a campaign box? Ever? They were all TSR?
From what I can see, the only boxed sets initiated after the acquisition were various beginner boxes and such: no big Setting books, those were all TSR. And notoriously unprofitable, apparently, which is why WotC may have been gun shy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
the starter kits are, technically speaking, campaigns - they are not long, but they are campaigns and they come in a box.
A far cry from one of the classic Setting boxes, however.

I have a hard time imagining Spelljammer in a box on Target shelves, but the world is weird.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
A far cry from one of the classic Setting boxes, however.

I have a hard time imagining Spelljammer in a box on Target shelves, but the world is weird.
Granted, you won't have any argument from me on that point, I had the 2nd ed FR campaign setting, that was quite something!
Then again, then 3rd FR campaign setting was just one big book, but it was very solid. If I was to run an FR game (home-brewed, not a published adventure), that is what I would use. I don't think 5e has delivered anything like those products.

In the 5e era, all the great campaign settings I've used have been non-WotC: Yoon Suin, UVG, Drakkenheim.

Then again, then 3rd FR campaign setting was just one big book, but it was very solid. If I was to run an FR game (home-brewed, not a published adventure), that is what I would use. I don't think 5e has delivered anything like those products.
You know, even though I played in FR a fair amount back in the day, I never had the FR 2e box or the 3e setting book. That being said, I was always surprised that a number of people have told me they preferred the 3e book to the 2e box.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You know, even though I played in FR a fair amount back in the day, I never had the FR 2e box or the 3e setting book. That being said, I was always surprised that a number of people have told me they preferred the 3e book to the 2e box.
One of the thing that FR does is that whenever the rules change, there is some kind of "cataclysm" where the rules of magic are inverted and Ao is mad and Mystara dies and comes again and either Bane or Cyric are being jerks. And these "cataclysms" explain the change to the world that are necessary to "explain" why things don't quite work the same anymore (because of the rule changes).

The 3e book was well thought out in that the settings reflected the rules well. And running 3e in the 2nd ed campaign setting would be a bit... rough.

However, given the nature of 5e, I think that you could probably use either the 2nd or the 3e setting equally well.

Remove ads

Remove ads