Spelljammer D&D Direct Live Report: 9am PDT (5pm BST) SPELLJAMMER CONFIRMED! DRAGONLANCE!

D&D Direct, WotC's new video-format announcement show launches today at 9am PDT (5pm BST). If you aren't able to watch it, I'll be updating this article live. Feel free to comment below! Once it launches, you will need to refresh this page when you want to see new updates. The video is expected to last about 30 minutes.

If you CAN watch it, you'll find it on YouTube or Twitch at the above times. Otherwise, follow along below!
  • 45 mins to go. Live updates incoming!
  • 30 mins to go!
  • 5 minutes to go!
  • Here we go! Opens with a sea shanty.
  • Forgive typos. They talk fast and I can't type.
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.07.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.46.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.00.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.00.51 PM.png

• Spelljammer is confirmed!
  • They talk REALLY FAST!
  • Spelljammer Adventures in Space, project lead Chris Perkins, Trystan Falcone graphic designer
  • Cities built on asteroids, dead gods floating in the ether
  • 6 races---astral elves, autognomes, hedozi(?), gif, plasmoids, thri-kreen
  • 3 hardcovers in a slipcase: Astral Adventurers Guide, Boo's Astral Menagerie, Light of Xaryxis adventure
  • Prequel adventure in July
  • Wizkids miniatures
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.03.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.05.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.07.43 PM.png

Other stuff also discussed!
  • Baldur's Gate 3 CRPG preview video (game is in 2023)
  • Journeys Through Radiant Citadel intro video -- 3 of the adventures are: Wages of Vice (5th level), Caribbean; Orchids of the Invisible Mountain (14th level), feywild, far realm, Whistler new monster; Fiend of Hollow Mind (4th level), skeletons and spirits
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.14.29 PM.png

• "Campaign Cases" -- Creature tokens! Terrain tiles! July!
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.15.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.16.23 PM.png

D&D Movie directors now onscreen. The movie in March 2023 is called HONOR AMONG THIEVES.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.17.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.18.14 PM.png

• New D&D starter set. Comes with 'digital onboarding'. Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. We knew about that one.
  • D&D digital monstrous compendium. Available to those with WoTC or D&D Beyond Accounts. Volume 1 has an eldritch lich and the 10 legged asteroid spider. And the starlancer. Might have misheard some of that!
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.19.48 PM.png

• MMO Neverwinter video. Dragonslayer begins June 2022. (I wonder if they'll need a dragonance for that?)
  • New D&D actual play video, Legends of the Multiverse. Lots of 80s cartoon style soft rock music. Boo is in it.
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.24.38 PM.png

WIzKids skirmish game D&D Onslaught. October

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.25.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.26.20 PM.png

Finally -- DRAGONLANCE WARRIORS OF KRYNN! SHADOW OF THE DRAGON QUEEN!

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.27.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.27.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.25 PM.png

Last edited:

IMO, this is not luxury pricing for most people, Beadle and Grimm is luxury pricing for their product that is an accessory to the game, not a book you need for the game at $70.
My view is that's a point on the progression to where D&D supplements may well, by default, have better production values than now (though not art at the current rate, sheesh! PAY SOME MTG ARTISTS you misers!), but likely with less content, and significantly higher prices. I'd be very unsurprised to see over $100 for a setting by the end of the decade. And that is getting into the "can't afford" not just "poor value" range for a lot of people. naughty word $70 is pushing it for some, certainly as a relatively casual purchase, something they might not need (where for others, they might spend that on an evening out most weeks).

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Man I am in a time loop. I've said REPEATEDLY how the new format is ridiculous as it includes a bunch of things I don't need, including the DMs Screen and the slipcase (not including the map, so many books have these included already).

If this is one release version, and you could just pick up a normal Spelljammer book for $60, great! No complaints from me. When Curse of Strahd Ravamped was announced, I didn't complain; I can get normal Curse of Strahd within my budget.

But locking consumers into nick-nacks they don't need to getting more $ out of them is NOT something I'm happy about, and breaking down the price isn't going to convince me to shell out more of my wallet.
So it’s a thing you won’t buy. Got it. Why the need to post about how much you don’t want it all day. You don’t want it. Got it. Why keep repeating that?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I have a question - what did you think my point in adding that was lol? Just that I was doing a burn on myself for no reason?! Anyway, yes, you correctly identified that I was pointing out that it was not necessary lol.
I was saying that speculating about how WotC could "do you wrong" just to add extra negativity is not necessary or constructive to the thread. "I really hope the next classic campaign setting release is Planescape or Dark Sun" would have gotten the same point across without being unnecessarily negative.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases