D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Superbowl Spot

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Well, partly because of your recent banging the drum on that, I recalled that WotC did make movie tie-in books, several if them...for the cancelled Warner Bros. movie that never happened. That’s why they squeezed the Yawning Portal awkwardly and randomly inyo TftYP, and put the Xanathar on a book cover for a smorgasbord of optional rules. Waterdeep was, apparently, the setting for that failed movie project, and Dragon Heist. Was lined up to be a big thematic tie-in.

Once biten, twice shy?
Do you have a source on these all being tie-ins?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Do you have a source on these all being tie-ins?
Here's an interview with Roy Lee (producer of the LEGO films) from the period around Xanathar's came out. They were dropping a bunch of little coy hints, that dies out as the WB movie fizzled and disappeared:

"He also said that the Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”"

Heard from some industry people (who are not Paramount employees) who saw the film this week that the film is fantastic. A non D&D fan called it as epic as LotR and with as much humor as GotG, and that they completely followed and were invested in the story with NO D&D background knowledge. A D&D fan said there were 'hundreds' of small easter eggs scattered through the film and was delighted. So definitely looking like Paramount has a film that could go big with general audiences. Not shocked that they are doing a Super Bowl commercial. And it's a pretty good one!

Ohhhh, someone has some sweet connections, anything else juicy you want to share?

Clint_L

Hero
Last year's movie/streaming show Super Bowl ads were:
  • “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness”
  • “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power”
  • “Nope”
  • “Jurassic World: Dominion”
  • “The Lost City”
  • “Sonic 2”
  • “The Adam Project”
  • “Moon Knight”
So a mixed bag. Also, be cautious about early social media reactions; those always skew very positive, even for films that turn out to be stinkers. Your first real indication of how a studio sees a property is its release date. March is not considered a prime spot, (the first two weeks are sometimes considered part of the January-February dump moths, though the end of March is not terrible). It's a cautious release spot.

Next good indication comes by how late the review embargo is pushed, especially on a new property. If the embargo goes right up the release date, that's generally a bad sign. But there are always exceptions. At this point my feelings for this film are guarded optimism.

Stormonu

Legend
It's also a lot faster to add class symbols to a movie poster than it is to develop and publish a new starter set. If this was a mistake -- which I have bludgeoned everyone with my belief that it is -- this is a reasonable thing for them to try and fix it.
I have a feeling we'll see the game tie-ins around the time the movie becomes available to buy on DVD/blu-ray. "This starter set Includes a free copy of HAT!" "Replay the iconic scenes from the movie with the free adventure included with the blu-ray", "This Ultimate 4K set includes a free month of Beyond and a %20 discount on the PHB from our store!"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have a feeling we'll see the game tie-ins around the time the movie becomes available to buy on DVD/blu-ray. "This starter set Includes a free copy of HAT!" "Replay the iconic scenes from the movie with the free adventure included with the blu-ray", "This Ultimate 4K set includes a free month of Beyond and a %20 discount on the PHB from our store!"
I suspect welled some Beyond exclusive freebies in March.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases