D&D 5E D&D Should Have Less HP Bloat

SauceBoss

First Post
After a certain point, I've found both that 1) fights start to drag and 2) even considering rpg tropes, it starts to be hard to take some things seriously.

HP bloat should be reduced in D&D.

High level monsters become big bags of hitpoints. This slows down combat and the flow of play a lot.

PCs starts to become bags of HP (and resistances) too. I've found that this influences playstyle in such a way that players see brute force and combat as a reliable way to solve problems.

(Obviously, yes, D&D has combat, but I'm inclined to believe that facing something like an elder dragon should involve some amount of strategy beyond just charging ahead and swinging.)

I believe these problems can be solved by deflating many of the numbers involved with the game.

Side note: I also believe this could change encounter design in such a way that having large battles with a lot of moving pieces could be cool and fun rather than grinding to a slog.
It may seem like a no brainer, but I don't always go by the book in regards to how much HP I give the monsters. The casual battles should only take so long so I think of how many rounds I want them to last and I average my player's attacks. Then I just multiply or scale it to how long I want the fight to last. The bosses should last around 10 rounds or so. That choice is yours. But I do the same thing. Now I average it out with the notion that some times they may roll low. If they roll high or get a crit, good for them. However, when faced with this "bloat" of HP, I make the enemies as powerful as the PC's for this reason. Whatever the players can have, so may the enemies. It's your story and shape it the way you want. So my player may have some sword he took from a late billy-bad-ass McGee, I start to equip the skeletons more powerful attacks bestowed upon a more powerful sorceress or necromancer to only showcase the power they are going to face. I have even went as for to enforce "Mega DMG" from Rifts to give an Elden Ring vibe, so don't be scared to try a X10 or X100. Some things they learned through "naughty word around and find out" that you just don't mess naughty word or jump head in like you're indestructible. Some things are not meant to be fought. Just survive. The fact that I keep them on their toes and nearly have them die every night and still return, I must be doing something right. I have even added sand warms from Dune that would take them under the ground and gave them 3 chances to roll before suffocating. It was never about the rolls. Its about the since of danger. I was never going to kill them, but I would have them pop back out at the last second. Monsters swallow players, nearly get cut in half by pincers, mysterious illnesses, etc. I've even thrown heat at them and made them realize their armour was only an oven at this point. When you make them realize that they can't always rely on what gave them their edge, you make them question are they actually safe...The adventure seems like so much more. Take the squishy safety from them and impliment the dangers they once knew and loved. I'm 37 now and been playing for 30 yrs. I started with my father and Uncles who had us play with just an index card of our 6 stats and modifiers and flew by the seat of our pants. I have carried the tradition after my father passed and kept the charm of life is something not to take for granted and keep mystery around the corner.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't let this discourage you. It's an avenue for you try something new. Develop new things for them and bring back the since of danger. And remember, there are more frightening things than death.

Stormonu

Legend
Welcome to the forums @Sauseboss

Arise, ye dormant thread, and speak!

HP bloat is a discussion I can recall going all the way back to 1E, but it's gotten worse over the years. A lot of modern games don't have the HP ballooning that D&D does, and I'd like to see a pruning of hp values.

Problem is, unless you also curtail damage, it's a moot point - f'ex, a CR 3 creature is expected to have ~101 hp - that seems incredulous to me for a mere "3rd level obstacle". But, over a 3 round battle with 4 PCs, that's each character doing about 8 hp damage apiece on their turn. It adds up fast!

dave2008

Legend
After a certain point, I've found both that 1) fights start to drag and 2) even considering rpg tropes, it starts to be hard to take some things seriously.

HP bloat should be reduced in D&D.

High level monsters become big bags of hitpoints. This slows down combat and the flow of play a lot.

PCs starts to become bags of HP (and resistances) too. I've found that this influences playstyle in such a way that players see brute force and combat as a reliable way to solve problems.

(Obviously, yes, D&D has combat, but I'm inclined to believe that facing something like an elder dragon should involve some amount of strategy beyond just charging ahead and swinging.)

I believe these problems can be solved by deflating many of the numbers involved with the game.

Side note: I also believe this could change encounter design in such a way that having large battles with a lot of moving pieces could be cool and fun rather than grinding to a slog.
While I agree PC hit point bloat is a problem, I disgree that it is a monster problem. PCs can dish out a lot of damage.

Were I to run a D&D or clone system ever again, I would cap it hit points at 75+ Con Bonus for physical types, 50+ Con Bonus for intellectuals, and 60 for the thief types. Hobbits, gnomes, etc would have a penalty, Dwarves a small bonus.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases