D20 Modern Spectaculars Canceled

JPL

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
Do we really need an epic book for d20 Modern? Didn't realize we need to follow up on Urban Arcana in a series of over-the-top game material. :\

I wrote one for EN Publishing called INFINITE. It ain't Monte Cook, but it ain't bad.

Not sure if the market would be there for a WotC Epic Modern book.

But a d20 Modern Hero's Guide would be a great idea --- all expanded character options. And some epic-level rules could be a part of that.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
arscott said:
I was going to wait for confirmation before I started ranting. Wizards has always struck me as on-top-of-things enough to not let a book get this far down the production line before axing it.

Wouldn't it be pretty much at the printers by this point?
Wizards posts the Off to Press news articles at the end of each month, for the books that come out two months from that. The last one was on 28.4, for the June releases.

bolen

First Post
What percentange of a books cost is printing vs paying writers, and artists. (maybe they did not have the art but I assume it was already written or can they just shaft the author and not pay him the full amount? (I have no clue how this works)

Ymdar

Explorer
mcrow said:
My guess is if it did get the axe it is because they are holding off for the 4E retool.

Maybe this is a grand scheme to end all schemes! Maybe WoTC is going down, and White Wolf is going to buy D&D, and the 4th edition will be called V&W: Vampire&Werewolf.

Maybe Hasbro wants to convict all roleplayers to play with My little pony for real this time.

Maybe Bill Gates wants to use the OGL in his next OS.

...maybe an apocalypse will come and sway the minds of all roleplayers to start watching TV instead of gaming.

Krolik

First Post
Falkus said:
Why would a distributer have the information about this before the Wizards website?
Because getting updated product information to the distributor is more important then waking up the minimum wage website updater and telling him to take the d20 Spectacular page down. :)

coyote6

Adventurer
That's too bad; I wanted to see what they did. Even though I've found myself unable to much enjoy d20 Modern for various reasons, I still was curious about d20 Spectaculars.

At the least, I might be able to steal bits for D&D. :)

(Though $30 for a 160 page paperback is kind of steep. Still, I could've browsed.)

Too bad WotC doesn't do more PDFs (especially DRM-free, reasonably priced PDFs); they could probably make some of their money back that way.

OTOH, maybe they are going to use the mechanics in some other book.

Falkus

Explorer
We don't know its cancelled. All we have is some unsubstantiated claims that it has been cancelled. Hardly compelling evidence.

mcrow

Explorer
Ymdar said:
Maybe this is a grand scheme to end all schemes! Maybe WoTC is going down, and White Wolf is going to buy D&D, and the 4th edition will be called V&W: Vampire&Werewolf.

Maybe Hasbro wants to convict all roleplayers to play with My little pony for real this time.

Maybe Bill Gates wants to use the OGL in his next OS.

...maybe an apocalypse will come and sway the minds of all roleplayers to start watching TV instead of gaming.

Damn right! errrr......... :heh:

well someone was going to bring up 4e in this thread so I figured I would get it out of the way. ;)

arscott

First Post
Falkus said:
We don't know its cancelled. All we have is some unsubstantiated claims that it has been cancelled. Hardly compelling evidence.
We've heard from two seperate sources (one of whom is an industry muckety-muck) that Alliance says it's cancelled. Alliance may be making a mistake, but we've moved beyond the realm of unconfirmed rumor.

Remove ads