D&D (2024) December 1st UA Spell changes

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
I would be very put off/uncomfortable if I was talking with someone armed to the teeth and their similarly armed to the teeth friend was sitting there chanting to a god I may or may not follow.
Especially if you live in a world where that god/that god's power might actively intervene at any moment in response.

Player: "Of course I waiting for the cleric to be nearby before I climbed that wall!"
"Of course the cleric was right near me when I bluffed that guy"
"I'm going to disable this trap, oh cleric buddy, come here!"

Look gods only have a 10 foot range from their chosen vessels in which to dispense their graces. Anything more would just be ridiculous, obviously.

Spiritual weapon is a pretty bad spell, now. I think shadow blade is slightly overrated for most casters, but it’s brilliant compared to spiritual weapon.

I think the 10ft requirement actually makes that spell rather balanced. So you at least have to have your guidance bot near you when you try to hide...
Balance wise it's reasonable. The issue is that it replaces one way the spell was an annoying nuissance that engendered endless debates with a new way for it to be an annoying nuissance that engenders endless debates. Original formula annoying Guidance at least had a better ludonarrative (priest bestows minor skill blessing on friend, rather than priest invokes divine ward against friend's failure at last second but only up to a ten foot range). At the end of the day I'd rather it just be a little more overpowered and not slow down gameplay. Or not exist.

Spiritual weapon is a pretty bad spell, now. I think shadow blade is slightly overrated for most casters, but it’s brilliant compared to spiritual weapon.
It remains a solid spell choice, and not remotely "bad". It is, however, now just another spell giving a way to do ongoing bonus action damage, rather than the undisputed king of such spells, frequently cited as a major draw for the Cleric class and a top contender for anyone who gets to poach Cleric spells to poach. It has gone from a top spell to an ordinary and balanced one.

Despite my calling it "balanced" I do not necessarily consider that a good thing for the game, when the balancing takes the form of nerfing an iconic, go-to power spell down to a boring average one.

We can guess blade ward working as resistance but for a hit on an attack roll.
If they do they will certainly give a try for True strike giving a d4 on a miss for an attack roll using a reaction.

Banishment was a pure gold spell. Nerf is a good thing.

Balance wise it's reasonable. The issue is that it replaces one way the spell was an annoying nuissance that engendered endless debates with a new way for it to be an annoying nuissance that engenders endless debates. Original formula annoying Guidance at least had a better ludonarrative (priest bestows minor skill blessing on friend, rather than priest invokes divine ward against friend's failure at last second but only up to a ten foot range). At the end of the day I'd rather it just be a little more overpowered and not slow down gameplay. Or not exist.

I do agree.
Maybe it should be precast and cost an action to mantain each round and you need to stay in 30 ft or 60 ft range.
Like a good version of witchbolt.

So the narrative is that the cleric needs to pray for the duration of the action.

FireLance

Legend
I am personally inclined for guidance and resistance to be cast on holy symbols and last eight hours. Then when the wearer of the holy symbol fails a skill check or a saving throw, they can choose to activate the spell and then cannot benefit from the spell again until they have taken a long rest. So, when a cleric gives you a holy symbol and says, "May [deity] guide/protect you," it's not just empty words.

t remains a solid spell choice, and not remotely "bad".
I mean, there's no "fact of the matter" here, but I don't think there's anything remotely "solid" about it. A 1d8+mod bonus action attack for a 2nd level slot and concentration is bad. You're never casting this if you're trying to even vaguely optimize spellcasting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases