Discussion: Possible M&M

hafrogman

Adventurer
I vote 1.5 :D

I guess my thoughts fall more under 1. But I was thinking less vampires or X-Files style aliens, and more something like an extra-dimensional mish-mash. A kind of uholy union of parallel universe theory, D&D planar cosmology, Dresden Files' faerie, and anything else you want to mix in there.

I was thinking that your lizard-men/doppelgangers/goatee-wearing evil twins/whatevers represent an insidious threat. But every time they punch a portal/dimensional rift into our world, other things bleed through into our reality and cause havoc. The academy is ostensibly training us to fight off these more obvious incursions, we may not even be aware of the larger threat.

I like the variety and opportunities represented by the 4-color, and the tone set by the other option. I was thinking there's ways to combine the two.

And, as the others, I'm totally willing to bow to any strong preferences that others have.

Insight

Adventurer
Have any of you played Hunter (either the Reckoning or the Vigil) from White Wolf? What about a game concept where the PCs are actively going hunting for supernatural freaks of various kinds? The PCs' powers might be psionic or divinely-inspired. You could use technology, of course, in addition to whatever powers you might have.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I'm tempted! I'm always tempted by a M&M game, and since I was in the same game of DF, I'll like to chime in and make my interest noticiable.

Well I like the gritty setting more, but won't object if the mayority picks the 4 colours one.

Shayuri

First Post
I have the book for Hunter somewhere, but I've never played it.

I'd prefer more options for powers than "just" psionics or divine...though those two admittedly cover a lot of ground. More than that though, I think it'd be cool if the powers we wield are mysterious, even to us.

Of course, I can also see concepts that know what their powers are...or think they do...

So it's all good.

jkason

First Post
I think I once skimmed a vampire game from White Wolf, but haven't seen anything else by them. That said, a hunter-style academy has an appeal.

Of course, I can also see concepts that know what their powers are...or think they do...

I like this a lot. Having the PC's trainers tell them their abilities come from some specific, 'non-freak' source when the opposite may be true has a certain appeal to me.

Insight

Adventurer
I have the book for Hunter somewhere, but I've never played it.

I have run H:tR for my RL groups and they really liked it. YMMV

I'd prefer more options for powers than "just" psionics or divine...though those two admittedly cover a lot of ground. More than that though, I think it'd be cool if the powers we wield are mysterious, even to us.

So it's all good.

I'd be open to "Sorcery" as well (forgot about that option). In fact, it might be fun to have a character whose powers require him or her to "consort with dark powers" ala a D&D 4E Warlock.

Insight

Adventurer
I like this a lot. Having the PC's trainers tell them their abilities come from some specific, 'non-freak' source when the opposite may be true has a certain appeal to me.

I could see the Academy being a quasi-religious organization training "holy warriors" to fight the "forces of darkness". Never mind that your powers look just like the ones the "demons" are using... :heh:

hafrogman

Adventurer
I've never played Hunter either, but these ...
I'd be open to "Sorcery" as well (forgot about that option). In fact, it might be fun to have a character whose powers require him or her to "consort with dark powers" ala a D&D 4E Warlock.
I could see the Academy being a quasi-religious organization training "holy warriors" to fight the "forces of darkness". Never mind that your powers look just like the ones the "demons" are using... :heh:
Are sounding interesting.

Insight

Adventurer
The only thing that concerns me about the religious angle are the rules of the EN World boards. I don't want anyone (especially me!) to get into any rules violations in the name of having fun.

I suppose if we were "generic" enough in terms of an actual deity, it should be OK.

Remove ads