• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you find alignment useful in any way?

Do you find alignment useful in any way?

• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
We aren't talking about 3E or OD&D alignment. This is specifically marked as a 5E thread.

So a lot of people find it useful at least some of the time. I think this iteration hits it about right for me; a quick descriptive tool that can be useful now and then that I can ignore when I don't care or need it. No it doesn't tell me how that NPC was raised or what their attitude is about the color green. Those are details I'll fill in if I think I need them. It does give me a general starting point and a clue on how to run them when the players do something and interact with NPC/monster in a way I didn't expect.
Very good points! Thank you.

Why is knowing if they find any use in it at all useful though?

Would a better question have been:

I guess if I'm going to criticize a poll I might as well ask the one I'm curious about...

Oofta

Legend
FYI, you're quoting a post that is replying to claims about alignment in 3e.
Ah, the way blocking works ... never mind.

In any case, this thread is explicitly about 5E. Not that I remember specific alignment restrictions by class in 3E in any case, except maybe paladins?

Aldarc

Legend
Ah, the way blocking works ... never mind.

In any case, this thread is explicitly about 5E. Not that I remember specific alignment restrictions by class in 3E in any case, except maybe paladins?
Barbarians (any nonlawful); Bards (any nonlawful); Druids (any neutral); Monks (any lawful); Paladin (lawful good only).

Oofta

Legend
Barbarians (any nonlawful); Bards (any nonlawful); Druids (any neutral); Monks (any lawful); Paladin (lawful good only).
Been too long since I played and we generally ignored the alignment rules if it made sense. Not that we were ever particularly strict about alignment in the first place.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
hmmm well classically it triggered lots of pseudo philosophical arguments, does that count? No wait not in 5e that was long ago.

Or, conversely, when a player uses alignment for the sake of being anti-social (lawful-stupid, chaotic-stupid, etc). Alignment becomes such a huge drag on game play, and makes both characters and the world one-dimensional.

Players that do that kind of stuff get uninvited to games pretty quickly in all the groups I have ever been in, so alignment does not get used as an excuse or a weapon. I would hope those type of players would not be tolerated by other people either.

Yes
It's a two-word tag that lets me know is a creature is amoral or moral, or if they're remotely honorable
(Without alignment what's the difference between demons and devils?)

I can tell at a glance if something is a Machiavellian schemer out for itself, a disorderly being out for destruction, or an organized foe capable of coordinating and planning
And I can do that for minions who don't have a backstory or need individual motivations

Faolyn

(she/her)
No. I find it unuseful. There's been far too many instances in D&D books when the alignment of a creature or individual doesn't match up with its description or the general impression it gives off, or worse, completely contradicts it. And there's been far too many times when a creature has been given an alignment when, based on its intelligent and general lifestyle, it should be unaligned (or just neutral, in earlier editions). Or weirder, when a creature is unaligned when it reads like it should have an alignment.

Dr Magister

Explorer
As a player, I find it useful as a roleplay guide, and helpful for visualising what a character is like.

As a DM I find it useful as a guide to how my party are likely to react to given situations or NPCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads