• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 255 53.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 222 46.5%

Reynard

Legend
The solution is easy.

Dont count experience. Just count the number of encounters in order to level up. Example, each of the levels 5 thru 8 requires about 15 encounters in order to advance to the next level.

ALL rests = Short Rests.

All rests, regardless of length, yield the benefit of a Short Rest. Except, twice per level, a player can choose to make a rest give the benefit of a Long Rest instead. Narratively, this is a rally, feeling energy and hope and an ability to press on.

This rest variant should solve your difficulty.

Notice, the fifteen encounters can happen within two days − during a bloody dungeon delve − or else the fifteen encounters can span out across two years. The time frame doesnt matter. Whatever amount of time makes sense for the narrative is what matters.

Since there is about 15 encounters per level, this works out to be two Long Rests, with roughly 8 encounters between each rest. The math is the same.
This is pretty brilliant.

Retreater

Legend
I'm following the instructions by answering "no" - but it's a wait and see. If/when the time comes to revisit 5e, I might go with Level Up, Tales of the Valiant, 2024 revised, stick with 2014, or use hybrid rules. It's still too early to decide.
The stuff that would entice me to pick up 2024 I haven't seen yet: revised monster design, challenge creation, magic item award schedules, etc.
The focus on player option playtests do nothing for me - I'm never a player. Characters need less power, not more - since I can hardly challenge 5e characters as it is.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The solution is easy.

Dont count experience. Just count the number of encounters in order to level up. Example, each of the levels 5 thru 8 requires about 15 encounters in order to advance to the next level.

ALL rests = Short Rests.

All rests, regardless of length, yield the benefit of a Short Rest. Except, twice per level, a player can choose to make a rest give the benefit of a Long Rest instead. Narratively, this is a rally, feeling energy and hope and an ability to press on.

This rest variant should solve your difficulty.
Yes, there are alternate options that break the connection between the sleep narrative and the full recharge. I've spoken before about how the 13th Age full-heal-up works so much better than the 5e long rest from a balance perspective.

I like yours in that it has a different narrative connection. On the other hand I think it has two weaknesses. One is that short rest recovery classes become the new long rest recovery classes, as that is still under the character's control. And the other is if some characters spend their long rest much quicker than other characters and then end up for multiple sessions (which could be real life months since we play every other week) with little resources. While balanced, that's not as much fun - the same reason we dropped Spell Points after trying them.

Notice, the fifteen encounters can happen within two days − during a bloody dungeon delve − or else the fifteen encounters can span out across two years. The time frame doesnt matter. Whatever amount of time makes sense for the narrative is what matters.

Since there is about 15 encounters per level, this works out to be two Long Rests, with roughly 8 encounters between each rest. The math is the same.
I really do like how that comes out.

However, the other issue is that I moved to milestone leveling because I want to base rewards on overcoming challenges, not only fighting. So clever players could have a lot less encounters between "long rests" some levels, and the would still throw off the balance of the classes. But you know I might be okay with that.

Yaarel

He Mage
However, the other issue is that I moved to milestone leveling because I want to base rewards on overcoming challenges, not only fighting.
Notice, I mentioned "15 encounters", not 15 combat encounters. It can be any kind of encounter, social, exploration, puzzle, or combat. Any encounter that, in hindsight, turned out to feel satisfying. This is especially useful if the players have a habit of going off the adventure railroad.

Regarding the issue of resource management. It does take discipline to spend wisely the two Long Rests per level. It is the proper math tho.

A way to mitigate this is, to go on vacation, sotospeak. The characters exit the adventure and spend at least two weeks of total downtime. At the end of this rest and relaxation, they gain the benefit of a free Long Rest. They can also do any normal tasks for the downtime, that allow for a reasonable amount of restfulness.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Notice, I mentioned "15 encounters", not 15 combat encounters. It can be any kind of encounter, social, exploration, puzzle, or combat. Any encounter that, in hindsight, turned out to feel satisfying. This is especially useful if the players have a habit of going off the adventure railroad.
Though 5e, at least as it currently exists, has....shall we say, vestigial support for meaningful encounters in any form other than combat.

Yaarel

He Mage
Though 5e, at least as it currently exists, has....shall we say, vestigial support for meaningful encounters in any form other than combat.
Yeah, that is one of the reasons I started counting encounters instead of experience points. To count encounters is agnostic about what kind of encounter it might be. It is possible to play strictly roleplaying without any combat, and still level up in a satisfying way. Oppositely, a violent action story, going room to room in a dungeon crawl, is equally viable.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, that is one of the reasons I started counting encounters instead of experience points. To count encounters is agnostic about what kind of encounter it might be. It is possible to play strictly roleplaying without any combat, and still level up in a satisfying way. Oppositely, a violent action story, going room to room in a dungeon crawl, is equally viable.
This is basically how Dungeon Crawl Classics works: each Encounter, similar to how you define it, is worth 1-4 XP based on DM adjudication (a straightforward fight that goes smoothly? 1 XP. A hilarious roleplay interaction that leaves everyone at the table rolling on the floor laughing? 4 XP).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I am really sorry. But what you call errata has a 2 year research and development phase.
It's just a bunch of course corrections for 5e issues. That's........................errata. A half edition change is just a bunch of errata for the edition.
It has a lot of new art and a lot of people employed.
That's not relevant to whether or not it's errata.
Just calling it errata is disengenious.
Not even close. It's an opinion. You can agree or not, but it's a valid opinion and not at all disingenuous.
Just wanting someone to do all that work for free is quite egoistic.
Nobody is saying it should be free.
If you like it, buy it. If not, don't.
This is completely agree with and includes the artwork. If you like what they are making, buy it. If not, not. I will not be, because it doesn't change enough and doesn't at all touch on the primary issue 5e has for me which is balance around the adventuring day and resource attrition.
But it is not something they owe you.

People with the "I want everything for free" mentality are an actual reason why small producers struggle. If you want people to do the job for you*, pay them.
Dude. None of that is what he said. He just said he wasn't interested in paying for what is essentially errata, not that they should give it to him for free.

Remove ads